Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
ElPatron said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
So what if it's a personal opinion?

And no, it isn't trampling on their freedoms. If you disagree, do tell which one. The one to not have people disapprove of you?
Whelp. All I know is that you're free to protest for your hypocrisy. Saying "can't" and "shouldn't" have exactly the same value - nada. Anything that is legal can be done.

So when you're telling me I shouldn't do X and you have no legal right to prevent me from doing something legal... you're fighting against my freedom. And that is against my freedom.

Sorry, I sound drunk when I'm sober.
I really hope English is your second language, because you clearly don't understand the word 'shouldn't'. Hint: It does not create any kind of imposition. Try learning about the implications of the word 'shouldn't' before blathering on as if saying "He shouldn't do that" is fighting against someone's freedom. Saying you shouldn't do X does not mean I am fighting against your ability to do X. I am free to impede it in a legal manner though, like by not giving you money or helping you.
"Saying "can't" and "shouldn't" have exactly the same value - nada. Anything that is legal can be done."

I do understand the world "shouldn't". I just think it's pathetic to think that people shouldn't join boycott X but will defend the right to join boycott Y.

Not giving me money is not a way to stop me. But imagine I was American and you told me "You should not have guns" - you'd be fighting against my hypothetical constitutional rights.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm in the "Is anyone surprised by this?" camp. It's been known for awhile that the owner is a fundamentalist Christian, so I'd be surprised if he didn't come out against gay marriage. As for whether or not I boycott his chicken establishments shall be determined by how hungry I am at any given time.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MelasZepheos said:
Sounds like this Christian might want to read his Bible a little better.
Wait... what?! READ THE BIBLE!? You are clearly a crazy person. Why would you read something that might invalidate your hatred!?

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Glass Joe the Champ said:
So if you haven't heard yet, Dan Cathy, the owner of Chick-fil-a (big Chicken fast food chain in the US) recently discussed his views on gay marriage, and he's firmly in the Rick Santorum-esque "Christian family values" camp. It also turns out the company has donated to numerous Christian organizations that lobby against gay marriage.

Here's a quote by him in an interview: "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.

Now, I support gay marriage as much as the next guy and I completely disagree with him, but I really don't mind this at all. For one, Chick-fil-a has always been known as a Christian business, what with being closed on the Sabbath and all, so this isn't exactly a shocker. For two, considering all the laughing people did over the "Gay Oreo controversy", it'd be pretty hypocritical to turn around and be mad about this. It's just the opinion of a guy who happens to own a restaurant with awesome waffle fries.

Opinions are opinions, businesses are businesses, and chicken sandwiches are chicken sandwiches. No need to get caught up between them imo. What do you think about it?

EDIT: Bah, stupid poll glitches. Third option should say, "I don't agree, but it's his company/opinion." and forth should say "Meh, I don't care"
Here's the problem: they donate to organizations that actively look to destroy gay marriage. It's not just an opinion, it's something they act on.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Or maybe it is wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views. Maybe it's better to understand that we are all people, all to be respected and treated equally, regardless of sexual orientation or gender or race or religion. Maybe it's better that if someone holds such views, they shut their fucking mouth because they don't have a leg to stand on in any sensible argument.

'Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law' - Romans 13:8

'You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these' - Mark 12:31

'And do not judge and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned' - Luke 6:37

Well said. Very well said.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Don't care. Chick-fil-a makes good food, not the owner. A person's views do not change good tasting food.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Or maybe it is wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views. Maybe it's better to understand that we are all people, all to be respected and treated equally, regardless of sexual orientation or gender or race or religion. Maybe it's better that if someone holds such views, they shut their fucking mouth because they don't have a leg to stand on in any sensible argument.

'Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law' - Romans 13:8

'You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these' - Mark 12:31

'And do not judge and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned' - Luke 6:37

I hate to get all Christiany here (espically on this website), but you know there is a difference between loving your neighbor and being against homosexuality, right? Very very very very VERY very very few Christians (at least the hundreds I am actively around) believe that homosexual's are any lesser than them. They only thing they dont approve on is the homosexuality, especially in the context of something sacred to our faith, such as marriage.

Its hard to get the point across here because most people on here are bigots toward Christianity.

But on the OT: Like alot of people said, this is pretty old news, except for the statement. Not exactly like Oreo's situation where the interracial cookie turned into the rainbow cookie. :p

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
No reason to boycott him. His personal opinions don't have anything to do with his business.

Also, nothing that he said was hateful; he simply said that he does not support gay marriage. I don't support stealing, but I don't hate people who steal.

Edit: I suppose one (who supports gay marriage) could argue that the money the company makes (some of it, anyway) goes toward groups that lobby against gay marriage. Still, I maintain that nothing he said was hateful.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
I voted 'wtf is a chick-fil-a' but yeah, I wouldn't be buying from this company anymore.

Same as I choose to not donate money to charities that carry out actions I don't support nor religions that ...well just nor religions.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Really? Boycott his product because he has an opinion that is different to yours? Whats wrong with him being anti-gay anyway? Its not like hes attacking people for being gay, he just has an opinion, he isn't hurting anyone with it. Sure, his opinion may be dumb, but to boycott his fast food chain just for having an opinion you don't like is just fascist.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
-|- said:
Bloody hell. You septics can be a crazy bunch of people.

I especially like the vocal "I don't care, I just like chicken" group. Some of them don't care so much that they are some of the most prolific posters in this thread. Hilarious.
Firstly, my blood pressure is just fine, thank you.

Secondly, I'm posting on a forum, just how much caring does it take to do that? I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Pointless arguments entertain me.

Cowabungaa said:
Revnak said:
Yes, people telling him they think gay people are okay will get him to start thinking otherwise, even though it never has before. I am absolutely certain that this man who is very set in his ways will change his mind, not his business practices or actions mind you, his very personal and very firmly held beliefs, because people made a big show about how they disagree with him. Despite people doing that all the time at other places and he still hasn't changed his opinion.

Antagonizing the man will not get him to turn to our side. Maybe reasoning with him will, but making him think he's a martyr is flat out moronic. Boycott to change actions and business practices, not ideas. It just won't work.
It has nothing to do with changing him. He supports certain causes with your money. Some people strongly disagree with said causes and don't want to indirectly support them and thus do not support his business. How is that not a completely legitimate thing to do?
You mean that thing I talked about in the part of the first post you quoted me on. I feel that the effect my money would have on things would be minuscule at best. I've also pointed out that I have no issue with people who don't buy the chicken, I just don't want to be labelled a gay hater because I like to eat there maybe once or twice a year. I also think I'm right and that anybody who starts a boycott is overreacting, but they can go ahead and do that for all I care. Which is very little. I just like pointless arguments.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Jiggy said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
Since gay marriage is the hot button cultural issue at the moment, this is apparently the new "thing to be outraged by", and some are calling for a boycott of the company in support of marriage equality.
Its not like the company drops in a few dollars towards anti-gay marriage groups. The company has dropped MILLIONS. Now I don't hate the company or suggest other people don't eat there. I personally just can't allow my own money to flow towards a cause that I'm so passionately against.

Feel free to eat there, they have amazing chicken sandwiches. (I liked the hot n spicey) Its me that has the issue. Why should everyone else be affected by my personal views.
Dragonclaw said:
They are just starting to expand into Northen California but I wont be trying them out. Like Zack I just don't want money I give anyone to have even a tiny fraction of it be used that way.
I assume you both spend nothing on anything considering that you have no idea where that money is going to end up the moment it leaves your hand?
Oh that's silly. If you don't know its going to go somewhere you don't want, then why would they care? However if they can avoid it by not buying from a place that is actually known to support views they don't hold, why would they buy from there? Especially when you can get good chicken from plenty of other places.

Think of it this way. I know a company supports the death penalty and pays politicians to push the policy. I don't support them because its known and I hate it. Company B hasn't said anything, so I don't care. To me, they've not made a statement, they just sell a product.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Honestly, I never care for Chick-fil-a anyway. They were too fucking expensive, it $5 just for a chicken sanwhich.

More, to the point. I don't care about his opinion, I patronize a busness if their service is good (most of the time) not for because of their various opinions. Unless those opinions extremely vicious.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Been there, done that, started boycotting a year ago. It's their right to believe as they choose, and it's also my right to spend my money where I choose.

I do miss the chicken biscuits though..... -_-

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Eh, I never eat at Chick-fil-a anyways so maybe I'll just avoid it longer.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
ZOMG! People in a Capitalist market telling being faceless corporations that see them as nothing but profit margin in the end due to their scope where they can stick it with their wallets!? FUCK! This CAPITALIST NATION is turning commie now it seems with all this hippy-wippy CAPITALIST way of dealing with things! What next!? Love Blankets and Mass denial of tax payments to congress until they obey Separation of Church and State and deny large corporations from donating money to campaigns or charities having to do with Political, Religious, or Creed baring ties?

Fuck all those people protecting the freedom of religion hypocritically claimed by our country since it's founding (Which was all christian and 1 catholic, with more then 1/3 of signers owning black slaves) And fuck those Jewish and Catholic Assholes for wanting a fair chance at presidency, which coincidentally received the same level of outcry as this AND interracial marriages, as well as desegregating districts and public places)

Gays are as bad as when we gave women the rights to vote! This is a free country, the majority should be able to vote away the rights and freedoms promised to us from others!

Buncha asshole gays! All they do is eat all our food, drink all our mix drinks, make us ALL dance to village people, and be one of the top earners in the world!

(Captcha: Safety First)

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
soulfire130 said:
Honestly, I never care for Chick-fil-a anyway. They were too fucking expensive, it $5 just for a chicken sanwhich.

More, to the point. I don't care about his opinion, I patronize a busness if their service is good (most of the time) not for because of their various opinions. Unless those opinions extremely vicious.
The decision to deny someone their promised rights to practice religion as they deem it knowingly, making the decision when it has no effect on you or your family at that, is not vicious? Guess the Fag drags are just a peaceful protest! :D

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Is he donating the company's profits to anti-gay campaigns? No? Don't care then. He's wrong, but let him think what he wants as long as he's not actively hurting people.