Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

xorinite

Nov 19, 2010
SlaveNumber23 said:
Really? Boycott his product because he has an opinion that is different to yours?
That is the nature of a boycott. You dislike action/statement, you refuse to purchase products created by the person who took the action or made the statement. Sometimes to a particular goal, sometimes not.

SlaveNumber23 said:
he just has an opinion, he isn't hurting anyone with it.
Some may be concerned about his lobbying activities, using proceeded they helped provide him with to support causes they don't. Kind of like how some people won't buy things from companies who supported SOPA/PIPA, because they don't like SOPA/PIPA.

SlaveNumber23 said:
to boycott his fast food chain just for having an opinion you don't like is just fascist.
It really isn't. Fascism involves authoritarian government, nationalism, advocacy and use of violence against political opposition, corporatism, militarisation, strong state protectionism, top-down revolutionary social 'purification', and is historically tied to specific forms of Christian and pseudo-pagan cult dogmatism.

Choosing to not buy a product because you don't like the person who makes the product for any reason, even ones which could be considered unreasonable is just the free market in action.

OT:
I am not in a position where I have to make such a consideration, since there are no such food outlets near me.
However I do enjoy the Socratic, so if I were in the US I suppose I would probably eat elsewhere, my demand for any specific fast food is extremely elastic the transition cost is close to zero.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
omicron1 said:
Conservative stands up for conservative views, news at 11.
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Yep. It's also not wrong to hold Anti-Black, anti-christian, anti-jewish, anti-slavery anti-white, anti-male, anti-meat, anti-poor, anti-Omicron1, etc views. Hate is a good thing! Clearly, we need more of it. Maybe eventually we can have some sort of cleansing of the ethnic variety and get rid of all the groups we think are "wrong".

Also, there's no "forcing" here. He can hate gays all he wants, he has the legal right to do that. "Right" and "wrong" are subjective views. Clearly, you think gay-bashing is fine and probably have a special bat with a special name in case you come across one. You and him are allowed to hate gays until the cows come home. However, we as consumers are also allowed not to support his business because of his views. There's no forcing involved. Actions have consequences, you can't say "hey don't do that!" cause the actions have negative consequences.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I ... actually have no idea what this Chick-fil-a thing is anyways...

OK. I looked it up. Uh, it's a fiercely Christian place that closes on Sundays, so this doesn't surprise me. It's not something that I care for either since I never crossed such a place in my life.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Revnak said:
Firstly, my blood pressure is just fine, thank you.

Secondly, I'm posting on a forum, just how much caring does it take to do that? I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Pointless arguments entertain me.
Ah, I see the "Really, i'm not wound up - I'm bored and I like arguing" gambit from forum mind games 101. Nicely played.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Cost/benefit.

Most of the donation were to Christian organizations, and some of those organizations have anti-gay views. However, the majority of those organizations also do other things: One of the largest percentage donations was to a Christian athletic association, for instance. So really, most of the christian agenda that my financial support goes towards were I to shop there goes to the christian agenda of being able to...run farther. Truth be told, some of these charitable donations DO do some good. Probably most of the money goes towards good, and all that good work is canceled out by the small amount of money that goes towards destructive ends. I say call it a wash. I am unimpressed by Chick-fil-a, and honestly, given a choice between there and a comparable restaurant, I'm probably going to go to the other resturant. But I'm not going to go into full on boycott territory.

I think I'm in a unusual position, because the church that I grew up with that shaped my view of Christianity married gay couples and had gay reverends back in the 90's, visited synagogs and mosques in our youth group, opened up their Bible study with, "Okay first things first, the big bang, evolution, all that scientifically provable stuff DID happen and our belief in God does not contradict the hard scientific evidence", and their web site includes essays on why both the writer and God prefer thoughtful, moral Atheists who come to their spiritual beliefs through difficult introspection then Christians who believe in Christianity because it is what they are told. It's not even like out church is some small fringe group, its an international organization. So whenever I hear about Christians being bigots, I really consider there religious persuasion to be no excuse.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
-|- said:
Revnak said:
Firstly, my blood pressure is just fine, thank you.

Secondly, I'm posting on a forum, just how much caring does it take to do that? I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Pointless arguments entertain me.
Ah, I see the "Really, i'm not wound up - I'm bored and I like arguing" gambit from forum mind games 101. Nicely played.
Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. That trick is from 203, not 101. Clearly you never actually went to internet school. You sir, are a liar and a fool.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Chick-fil-a hates gay people.
Been there, done that, started boycotting a year ago. It's their right to believe as they choose, and it's also my right to spend my money where I choose.

I do miss the chicken biscuits though..... -_-
My take on it is that I won't feed money into a company that promotes an anti-gay agenda, and unless I hear something that says that Chick-fil-a is doing something other than being closed minded assholes, they have good enough food for me to continue eating there.

I do hope that they issue some sort of apology at some point though. Having stupid beliefs in private is perfectly fine with me, but saying things like that is no way to run a business.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Sylveria said:
omicron1 said:
Honestly, has it really come to this? Forcing public acceptance or agreement to one side of an unresolved argument by boycotting anyone who disagrees?

It is not wrong to hold anti-homosexuality views, gentlemen. Nor is it wrong to express them. What, exactly, is the problem here?
Yep. It's also not wrong to hold Anti-Black, anti-christian, anti-jewish, anti-slavery anti-white, anti-male, anti-meat, anti-poor, anti-Omicron1, etc views. Hate is a good thing! Clearly, we need more of it. Maybe eventually we can have some sort of cleansing of the ethnic variety and get rid of all the groups we think are "wrong".

Also, there's no "forcing" here. He can hate gays all he wants, he has the legal right to do that. "Right" and "wrong" are subjective views. Clearly, you think gay-bashing is fine and probably have a special bat with a special name in case you come across one. You and him are allowed to hate gays until the cows come home. However, we as consumers are also allowed not to support his business because of his views. There's no forcing involved. Actions have consequences, you can't say "hey don't do that!" cause the actions have negative consequences.
'Cause everybody knows the only possible reasoning against your viewpoints is hate! Evil, evil alternating-kitty-and-goatee-stroking hate. You know, like those nazis, right? We've got to be like them, 'cause we don't agree with you that homosexuality is hunky-dory (no pun intended).

News for ya: You're demonstrating more bigotry and hate right now than I. Bigotry against conservative ideals, against Christian values, and against those that support them.

More news for ya: Outside of such wonderful people (sarcasm intended) as Fred Phelps, very, very few Christians or Conservatives hate homosexuals. Or anyone else, for that matter. On the order of, say, 2-3%. The rest of us simply don't believe it's right. Same idea as with atheists - a small number of you want to kill religion and religious people off for good; the rest of you are mostly sane, and simply disagree. Doesn't make you haters. Doesn't make us haters.

So let me be perfectly clear: I have no problem with homosexuals. They can do whatever they want - so long as I don't have to support it, vote for it, have it taught to my children, or shut up about it lest I be branded a "homophobe" and social outcast. (Or arrested, as some Canadian pastors were shortly after "tolerance" became the law of the land) As long as you are willing to consider my views equal in value to yours (as in, whether or not they are right, they are perfectly legitimate views), I have no problem with your views.

The problem occurs when you begin to regard my views and opinions as inferior to yours, and attempt to remove them from the public sector - whether by ill-advised boycotts (often by the same people who spent hours a few weeks back ridiculing the anti-Orainbow movement) or by narrative and naming (EG the stupid, stupid "haters" rhetoric that seems to be the main tool in the entire Left's arsenal right now).

On the subject of forcing: What, exactly, do you think the point of a boycott is? To make your opinion known? No - to assemble in a large enough mass (in your case, the maximum group you could manage would likely be significantly less than half the standard audience of Chick-Fil-A) to affect change on a corporate level. In short, to force the company in question to agree with you - or at least, to act like they do.

And now: I have said my piece (introducing the perspective of the other half of America), seen the (90% liberal) Escapist audience rant and rave about "that damn conservative" and his "evil views", and shall depart. Feel free to reinforce your sheltered viewpoint amongst yourselves.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
WhiteTiger225 said:
soulfire130 said:
Honestly, I never care for Chick-fil-a anyway. They were too fucking expensive, it $5 just for a chicken sanwhich.

More, to the point. I don't care about his opinion, I patronize a busness if their service is good (most of the time) not for because of their various opinions. Unless those opinions extremely vicious.
The decision to deny someone their promised rights to practice religion as they deem it knowingly, making the decision when it has no effect on you or your family at that, is not vicious? Guess the Fag drags are just a peaceful protest! :D

Maybe I didn't make that clear, I said "unless those opinions are extremely vicious", in this case they are so I'm not patronizing their busness. But it doesnt matter if I boycott them or not because my action will be the same: I'm not buying a thing from Chick-fil-a. His opinion just adds more fuel to the fire.

Captia: Okey-dokey

See captia get it. lol

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I'm very much a live and let live person. He's entitled to his oppinion (although I do disagree with him) as long as he doesn't start refusing service to gays or something. Boycotting his resturaunts seems a bit pointless, it won't change his mind in anyway.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
subtlefuge said:
My take on it is that I won't feed money into a company that promotes an anti-gay agenda, and unless I hear something that says that Chick-fil-a is doing something other than being closed minded assholes, they have good enough food for me to continue eating there.

I do hope that they issue some sort of apology at some point though. Having stupid beliefs in private is perfectly fine with me, but saying things like that is no way to run a business.
Just so you're aware, they are promoting it. They won't hire you if you're gay, an they give funds to anti-gay politicians and pro-"family values" organizations. This has been going on for quite some time now.

The food is pretty nummy though.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Revnak said:
Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about. That trick is from 203, not 101. Clearly you never actually went to internet school. You sir, are a liar and a fool.
Have we met? I ask because you do seem to know me quite well.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
I think I'm in a unusual position, because the church that I grew up with that shaped my view of Christianity married gay couples and had gay reverends back in the 90's, visited synagogs and mosques in our youth group, opened up their Bible study with, "Okay first things first, the big bang, evolution, all that scientifically provable stuff DID happen and our belief in God does not contradict the hard scientific evidence", and their web site includes essays on why both the writer and God prefer thoughtful, moral Atheists who come to their spiritual beliefs through difficult introspection then Christians who believe in Christianity because it is what they are told. It's not even like out church is some small fringe group, its an international organization. So whenever I hear about Christians being bigots, I really consider there religious persuasion to be no excuse.
That sounds alot like my church actually. We arnt marrying gays, but our pastor still says "they are human beings and should be treated with care." Alot of my science teachers have been religious, but that science is a way of "understanding Gods creation." and that it doesnt contradict the bible. Actually, on that note, one of my favorite things my geology teacher ever said in his little pre-class lectures was "Why does God have to be a Genie God. Why does he have to just fold his arms, bob his head, say 'HOW!' and it is. Thats boring. Why cant he be cool and use science to make the world. Like raise a volcano so it could make the land rather than he just speaks two words and it is there."

Of course, the sane Christians are boring and dont make for good news...thats why you never hear about them.

Devil_Worshipper

Jan 20, 2011
omicron1 said:
'Cause everybody knows the only possible reasoning against your viewpoints is hate! Evil, evil alternating-kitty-and-goatee-stroking hate. You know, like those nazis, right? We've got to be like them, 'cause we don't agree with you that homosexuality is hunky-dory (no pun intended).

News for ya: You're demonstrating more bigotry and hate right now than I. Bigotry against conservative ideals, against Christian values, and against those that support them.

More news for ya: Outside of such wonderful people (sarcasm intended) as Fred Phelps, very, very few Christians or Conservatives hate homosexuals. Or anyone else, for that matter. On the order of, say, 2-3%. The rest of us simply don't believe it's right. Same idea as with atheists - a small number of you want to kill religion and religious people off for good; the rest of you are mostly sane, and simply disagree. Doesn't make you haters. Doesn't make us haters.

So let me be perfectly clear: I have no problem with homosexuals. They can do whatever they want - so long as I don't have to support it, vote for it, have it taught to my children, or shut up about it lest I be branded a "homophobe" and social outcast. (Or arrested, as some Canadian pastors were shortly after "tolerance" became the law of the land) As long as you are willing to consider my views equal in value to yours (as in, whether or not they are right, they are perfectly legitimate views), I have no problem with your views.

The problem occurs when you begin to regard my views and opinions as inferior to yours, and attempt to remove them from the public sector - whether by ill-advised boycotts (often by the same people who spent hours a few weeks back ridiculing the anti-Orainbow movement) or by narrative and naming (EG the stupid, stupid "haters" rhetoric that seems to be the main tool in the entire Left's arsenal right now).

On the subject of forcing: What, exactly, do you think the point of a boycott is? To make your opinion known? No - to assemble in a large enough mass (in your case, the maximum group you could manage would likely be significantly less than half the standard audience of Chick-Fil-A) to affect change on a corporate level. In short, to force the company in question to agree with you - or at least, to act like they do.

And now: I have said my piece (introducing the perspective of the other half of America), seen the (90% liberal) Escapist audience rant and rave about "that damn conservative" and his "evil views", and shall depart. Feel free to reinforce your sheltered viewpoint amongst yourselves.
Religion conveniently being the only source of opposition towards gay marriage, etc, but I know that point won't hold water given that you think your holy document was inspired by an omnipotent being. Who conveniently holds standards of morality parallel to those who penned the document in the first place. Chicken or the egg?

Don't want to bust your balls, but does this "being gay is wrong" thing really hold up on a universal scale? Does it really make sense for any theoretical God to care about something that doesn't hurt anyone, and is a natural inclination of fellow human beings that feels as genuine to them as it does to you towards your significant other?

I don't think you're a bad dude, but level with me here.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
It just makes me have less faith in humanity.
Oh well.
He sounds preachy and like a bigot. Nothing more to add really.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
omicron1 said:

People have always boycotted....it's been a means or protest for years. Some people boycotted products from South Africa, and companies that had large impact in South Africa during Apartheid, for instance. It's not unheard of and is a valid means to show your views, and sense of morality. I wouldn't buy puppies from a puppy mill if I supported animal rights, or even buy a puppy from a petstore that has been reported to receive animals from a puppy mill. It's not absurd.

And the moral right/wrongness on anti-homosexual behavioris a subjective opinion for many. :/