Poll: Chick-fil-a owner admits to anti-gay views

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
BOOM headshot65 said:
Xanadu84 said:
I think I'm in a unusual position, because the church that I grew up with that shaped my view of Christianity married gay couples and had gay reverends back in the 90's, visited synagogs and mosques in our youth group, opened up their Bible study with, "Okay first things first, the big bang, evolution, all that scientifically provable stuff DID happen and our belief in God does not contradict the hard scientific evidence", and their web site includes essays on why both the writer and God prefer thoughtful, moral Atheists who come to their spiritual beliefs through difficult introspection then Christians who believe in Christianity because it is what they are told. It's not even like out church is some small fringe group, its an international organization. So whenever I hear about Christians being bigots, I really consider there religious persuasion to be no excuse.
That sounds alot like my church actually. We arnt marrying gays, but our pastor still says "they are human beings and should be treated with care." Alot of my science teachers have been religious, but that science is a way of "understanding Gods creation." and that it doesnt contradict the bible. Actually, on that note, one of my favorite things my geology teacher ever said in his little pre-class lectures was "Why does God have to be a Genie God. Why does he have to just fold his arms, bob his head, say 'HOW!' and it is. Thats boring. Why cant he be cool and use science to make the world. Like raise a volcano so it could make the land rather than he just speaks two words and it is there."

Of course, the sane Christians are boring and dont make for good news...that's why you never hear about them.
Churchgoers like the ones were used to need to get a hell of a lot louder! I know that most of the people who go to my church (Full disclosure, I don't really go to church any more, but that's more my personal choice then any disillusionment in the system) are quite insistent about their views. My moms on a few church committees, and I know that she wouldn't be afraid to make a scene in public if someone had a bad word to say about homosexuals. And it seems like a church that embraces all these modern ideals would at least raise some curiosity. Theres GOT to be more gay people who want a religious organization to be in who are sick of being called sinners for something they just are (Besides, you know, original sin). Besides, all this talk about loseing god in everyday life...if you actually wanted to get God back into peoples lives, you would pay a lot more attention to churches like these.

That is a good way to look at it. Ive thought of that idea of God not having to be a genie god, but never had a phrasing that good. IMO, the reason why so many Christians believe in a Genie God is that if the world just popped into existence fully formed, then God must exist. If the world came into existence by science, they believing in God requires all that yucky faith and introspection. Oh sure, a world with science doesn't CONTRIDICT a divine being, and the views can be fully compatible with each other, but some Christians Faith is so weak that they can't take the pressure.

If you want, look up the UCC, and their, "God is still speaking" campaign. It's a very refreshing take on religion.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Was this seriously a surprise? All Chic-fil-as are closed on Sunday so that patrons can have time for religious worship. Since most of the "do not eat" list back in the Bible was unhealthy stuff, I would counter with "and what would God say of Fried Chicken?", if pressed on the issue. I don't usually eat there anyway, but this isn't inspiring a rush to go eat or not eat there. They might be traditional, but at least they're consistent.

Doesn't make it any less silly, but you know how people get when you try and tell them they've been wrong all this time.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Who gives a fuck. If his chicken tastes good (which it doesn't, because it's an American fast food chain, thus making the food they serve the most disgusting and unhealthy thing you can find) I'm still eating it.
thiosk said:
People actually eat at chick-fil-a?

captcha: chicken noodle
WOAH
Avaholic03 said:
I was under the impression that Chick-fil-a was a Mormon-based company, which is why they're closed on Sundays. Why is this surprising...or even news? I never ate there because their food sucks. I guess I'll continue to "boycott".
Really? Am I seriously the only one here who loves their chicken nuggets/waffle fries?
Musicfreak said:
Well I would probably be down to boycott chick fill a but it is just too damn tasty.
Hooray!

OT: If they actually are causing problems for gay rights then I'll start boycotting. Until then, I'm going to continue eating there.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Anyone who has ever craved Chick-fil-a on a Sunday knows how firmly entrenched in conservative Christian values they are. It's not really surprising, and it's not going to stop me from enjoying the best gosh darned chicken sammiches this side of Kentucky.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Where is the "anti-gay" remark? Someone enlighten me on this. Not agreeing with someone who is gay on the issue is not being against them.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
I won't be eating there anymore. I could care less about his personal opinion, but the fact that even the tiniest percentage of my money is being diverted to anti-gay lobbying means I won't be giving them my support.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
The nearest Chick-fil-A to me is about 3 hours away. As a result, I've never gone there and probably will never go there, so I couldn't care less about what the owner thinks.

That being said, I am finding endless amounts of entertainment reading the comments on their Facebook status addressing the situation.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Their sandwiches and waffle fries are too good for me to pass on. That, and I really don't care enough about gay marriage, one way or the other to boycott anything, especially something as good as their waffle fries. Om nom nom.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I think the difference between boycotting this chicken crater and the zebra cookies would be that money made by the former goes to support hate-groups and stop the socio-evolutionary clock itself; the latter, the best of my knowledge, did not use its profits to support a hypothetical lobby that says homophobes can't get married.

So, case in point, boycotting one would actually do something more than send a message (i.e., it would yield physical result in a loss of money for anti-gay lobbies); the other gets you laughed at, and doesn't do much in the way of supporting your cause.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Fappy said:
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
Actually Chick Fil A actively screens it's employee's for homosexuality, asking about it on applications. Being publically homosexual is likely grounds for termination.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
The only thing I hate about Chik-fil-a...
...is when you ask for no pickles but you always, always taste the pickles on the bread.
Sucks. Other than that who the fuck cares?

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
Fappy said:
Fun fact: he is a graduate from my university and came to speak to my graduating class last year. He's a man with strong opinions yes, but boycotting a company because their owner holds a political view opposite yours is pretty dumb. Just because a company isn't actively supporting Gay Marriage it doesn't mean they don't have gay employees or have employees who openly support it in their private lives.
Actually Chick Fil A actively screens it's employee's for homosexuality, asking about it on applications. Being publically homosexual is likely grounds for termination.
You know, the easiest way to tell that that is untrue, is that they would be sue'ed for discrimination.

Also, a quick google search of images and such of the applications shows nothing about asking about it.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
TsunamiWombat said:
Seriously? Isn't that illegal in a good deal of the states Chick-Fil-A has franchises in? (IIRC, just under half the states have laws prohibiting orientation-based job discrimination)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
TsunamiWombat said:
Fappy said:
That's completely and totally illegal...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
They make great waffle fries so I'm still eating there. To all the people boycotting it all I can say is "More for me".