Poll: Choir Bombing trailers or Inception Horn trailers?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Remember back in the 2000s I think where most movie trailers had music like this:

That was the era of Choir Bombing and I think what started it all was the first Raimi Spiderman movie (near the end of the trailer the choir starts):

But than 2010 came with Inception and well you know what happened:

So I made this poll because screw it I'm bored.

But anyway I geniuenly liked the Choir Bombing Trailers of yore at least when it's done right I mean that fucking Spiderman 3 trailer got me increadibly hyped I watched it millions of times in the early days of Youtube when I had shit internet.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I feel the choir ones work better as trailers. I feel that's how trailers are supposed to be. Inception-style trailers always feel more like teasers than like full trailers. The choir ones feel much more like they've got a beginning, a middle, and a climax.

And of course, there's the third part, the comedy trailers that play a pop song or rock song during it all, except for that part where it all goes silent for a few seconds as somebody says something funny.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Neither. I think trailers are usually pretty bad and should try to be as matter-of-fact as possible. Building a trailer into some kind of dramatic event isn't something I like. Give me a trailer that provides me the feeling of the movie its advertising.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
If I had to choose, choir. The "Bwaan" had a reason to be in Inception. Now it's just overused because whoever puts those trailers together tried to copy something unique and significant without understanding WHY it was in there, leading to the most obnoxious thing I've seen in trailers and the thing that will make me immediately turn it off and say "You lost a viewer".

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Chanticoblues said:
Neither. I think trailers are usually pretty bad and should try to be as matter-of-fact as possible. Building a trailer into some kind of dramatic event isn't something I like. Give me a trailer that provides me the feeling of the movie its advertising.
Would you describe these two trailers as being matter-of-fact?

I actually adore a good trailer, as they can potently distill the essence and feel of a film into a neat, expressive teaser, which - when watched again long after you've seen the film - can bring it all back. I tend to avoid trailers to films I know I'll see, though, because I long ago got fed up of 'Oh, that bit from the trailer will occur here' moments.

Samtemdo8 said:
But than 2010 came with Inception and well you know what happened:

It depends which specific noise you ID as the Inception flavoured effect, but Prometheus's trailer directly recalled back to the original teaser for Alien, so I'm not sure it's fair just to lump it alongside the Inception copycats.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Darth Rosenberg said:
Jessie James and The Thin Red Line both have pretty good trailers. I prefer the Jesse James one, as it's closer to the feeling of the film. TRL trailer seems a little scattered and expository but I think it finds its rhythm later on. Either way, they really give you a sense of what the film is, and how it moves.

I like trailers like that, or ones that use the format of the trailer in a neat way (Femme Fatale, Made in U.S.A., A Serious Man).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In a world where Don Lafontaine and voiced narration trailers don't get exist anymore, neither. They've both became cliches at this point. Give me voiced narration trailer any day. At least there is always something entertaining about them.

<spoiler=Don LaFontaine Trailer Mashup>

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Choir bombing all the way for me, I haven't even watched Inception to this day still, but damn I've learnt to dislike the horn trailers, I'd say you go the full mile and just have vuvezela horns in your trailers.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You could always go back to the era of inappropriate Danny Elfman and Randy Edelman music being injected into trailers. Remember how many times the Dragonheart theme or What's This? from Nightmare Before Christmas were used as trailer tunes back in the 90s?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Do you all remember when Dragon Heart was in fucking everything in the 90s?