Poll: Comedians and Hecklers...what do you think of this?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I'm aware that many of you are aware of the Mighty Bill Hicks (RIP) and of this clip. But for those of you who aren't, here is probably the greatest reaction of a stand-up to a heckler, EVER. I'm not sure of how much of it is rage and how much is just his brilliance. What do you think?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Hecklers are like trolls. Scum. Just nicer when they are put down proper.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Furburt said:
One second.
Did you post before you could find a video just so that you could have first post? Shame, Furburt, that's probation-stuff. Good for you that I'm too tired to report you.

OT: Oh, he handled that really well and clever /sarcasm

I would've been more impressed if he could use a less barbaric way of dealing with her. But it was still rather fun to see him yell at her like that.

Also, I find it a little ironic that he calls her every thing that is wrong with America and tells her to get the fuck out for saying what she wants. Sure, she was a total ***** and I would have sent her out myself if I was him, but still, kinda ironic.

EDIT: just watched the other videos, and they where hilarious. Good stuff, good stuff.

"How many girls want to fuck me right now?" made me laugh uncontrollably.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Furburt said:
One second.
Did you post before you could find a video just so that you could have first post? Shame, Furburt, that's probation-stuff. Good for you that I'm too tired to report you.

I would've been more impressed if he could use a less barbaric way of dealing with her. But it was still rather fun to see him yell at her like that.

Also, I find it a little ironic that he calls her every thing that is wrong with America and tells her to get the fuck out for saying what she wants. Sure, she was a total ***** and I would have sent her out myself if I was him, but still, kinda ironic.

EDIT: just watched the other videos, and they where hilarious. Good stuff, good stuff.
If you're familiar with Hicks, then you understand what I meant by the reaction/brilliance question. He was a constant on/off-the-wagon alcoholic who was very angry with America and the world, shared the stage with (goddamn it forgot his name-the original screamer guy) and was a metaphysical/comedic godfather to comedians such as David Cross and Lewis Black. His reaction was pure id, and pure brilliance in my opinion, but I wouldn't argue that it didn't come off as a bit misogynistic.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I've always thought hecklers were a necessary part of the growth of stand-up comedy. Many of my favorite stand-up comedians, like Eddie Murphy and Judah Friedlander, cite incidents early in their careers when they were flustered or even booed off stage by hecklers, and improved their act as a result. It's like quality assurance, I guess.

These clips are great examples. Good stuff indeed.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I actually went to a Demetri Martin show and while he was hilarious, the hecklers weren't even funny. It was pathetic to watch these people try.

Also, I never thought that Bill Hicks was funny and neither was his reaction. It was just him swearing a lot and not even being creative about it in my opinion. I like David Cross's reaction much better.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
funguy2121 said:
HUBILUB said:
Furburt said:
One second.

If you're familiar with Hicks, then you understand what I meant by the reaction/brilliance question. He was a constant on/off-the-wagon alcoholic who was very angry with America and the world, shared the stage with (goddamn it forgot his name-the original screamer guy) and was a metaphysical/comedic godfather to comedians such as David Cross and Lewis Black. His reaction was pure id, and pure brilliance in my opinion, but I wouldn't argue that it didn't come off as a bit misogynistic.
Oh, I see. I guess my comment was kinda missing the point. Thou shalt forgive me for my failiness.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Furburt said:
Oh my god, Furburt, you are the greatest case against ageism ever. I love finding great comics outside the states. I think smart whites have wrestled the trophy of being able to speak about racism in a forthright manner better than anyone else away from blacks like Chris Rock (awesome with good writers) and Dave Chappelle (awesome period). Here's more from David Cross. There's a brilliant pleasure in satirical use of the N-word by a white man that I don't think anyone else can get; it's a catharsis, as Bill Hicks would say. Here, it's a catharsis because of all the dipshits who misrepresent my race.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I love it. Here's the most famous clip from Bill Maher's show...

...and some excerpts from the doc Heckler, a Jaime Kennedy project (now I despise Kennedy, Carrot Top and Gilbert Godfreid but many great people say great things in this film)...

...it appears to not be working so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tH2tiEnbvY

Joe Rogan, Dr. Drew, Lewis Black and David Cross are also interviewed in the film.

DanielPowell33

Jun 9, 2009
Heres a Patton Oswalt one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDndsvjyIG4

Skip to 4:04 for the heckler part, but the rest is worth watching ; )

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
jpoon said:
Haha, hilarious. Bill Hicks is a one of a kind.
Favorite joke of all time, though it made me want to vomit while in a moving car...

(sorry for the obnoxious commentary from the youtube poster)
Here's the wonderful Patton Oswald responding to a heckler...

Edit: Ninja'd like hell...