Poll: Computer glasses! Yes/No?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Ok, so my job requires me to stare at a computer for 8-9 hours a day. yes, it could be a lot worse. Epic first world problem, etc. Anyway, combined with glare from lights, my eyes get strained over a long period.

Solution!

Buy these.
http://www.gunnars.com/shop/PPK.html

Frame: Onyx-Mercury

What do you guys reckon? I haven't actually bought them yet, just getting opinions.

One of my co-workers has said "apart from the fact that you may receive merciless teasing, they're ok".

So, escapist, as I'm a sucker for peer pressure, what are your opinions on computer glasses?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Id feel like such an idiot....even in the privacy if my own home

but I say do it..they dont look that bad, and you can be an induvidual (hell I could do with a pair)

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Vault101 said:
Id feel like such an idiot....even in the privacy if my own home

but I say do it..they dont look that bad, and you can be an induvidual (hell I could do with a pair)
http://www.gunnars.com/shop/SheaDog.html

Got these instead, less "in your face" frames :p

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Meh, I'm... farsighted with an astigmatism or some such bullshit, so I've basically got a pair of reading glasses for the computer that reduce strain.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've heard of them, but I've never known anyone whose has used them. I spend quite a bit of time on the computer as well, but I tend to fare pretty well as long as I turn the monitor brightness down a bit.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Are they any different from yellow tinted sunglasses you can buy for $10? If anything don't stare at the monitor the entire time, just look around every few minutes. I'm on the computer all day but I never stare at it intently. Then again I need glasses to see everything except my computer.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
TehCookie said:
Are they any different from yellow tinted sunglasses you can buy for $10? If anything don't stare at the monitor the entire time, just look around every few minutes. I'm on the computer all day but I never stare at it intently. Then again I need glasses to see everything except my computer.

Well yes, they actually function well, allegedly, I'll let you know how well they work when they arrive =D

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh yes they work great, you can see the full screen and everything.
Their invention is only trumped by DVD reminders, bottled water, and placebo pills.

Mar 30, 2010
Lilani said:
I've heard of them, but I've never known anyone whose has used them. I spend quite a bit of time on the computer as well, but I tend to fare pretty well as long as I turn the monitor brightness down a bit.
I'm gonna agree here. I've worked with computers for the last fifteen years, and responded to the eyestrain by dialing my monitor down a bit - like everyone else in my office. Spending £50 on a pair of glasses does seem like a £100 solution to a £10 problem, or more accurately a £50 solution to a free problem.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Wait a second, what do they actually do? I see no logical reason for them to be of any benefit in stopping eye strain. If it's the tint then you can get some seriously cheapass tinted glasses which function just fine, people who have difficulty with music wear them a lot (yellow/red is easier to distinguish than the white).

But yeah, they look and sound like an overpriced gimmick which is about as useful as echinacea.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I assume these things are supposed to filter incoming light in some way to reduce strain, but I don't really know.

If your eyes do get strained I'd say you could probably look into it, but if its a "just incase" sort of precaution I'd recommend you move on.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I think you should learn to stand on your own legs and decide for yourself if you really want these glasses, and then ignore whatever teasing may come your way.
It's YOUR eyes, it's YOUR life. YOU have to live with it, for the rest of your life, if you ruin your eyes(any further?).

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Came here expecting glasses with a computer screen in, disappointed.

The glasses look fine for your purpose. If you're allowed to install software, you might want to suggest to your boss that the IT department install f.lux [http://download.cnet.com/f-lux/3000-2094_4-75447318.html]. It changes the screen output to make it much more bearable on your eyes.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Add two more options to the pool.
"Don't know, but I would try them" and "Don't know and I don't care".

I never used them nor do I know anyone who did. So I'm not entitled to say whether or no they are useful, but I sure as hell would try some. If they weren't so expensive and they would ship into my country.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I am disappointed T_T I was hoping for a high def computer screen inside a pair of glasses and a mobile computer to fit in my pocket. And then a ethernet port installed in my head...I want Shadowrun.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I very seriously doubt it will help you that much. It might cut down on the glare, but one of the biggest problems with sitting at a computer all day is that your eyes never change focus, and they aren't going to help with that. Also, you can block glare with a normal pair of sunglasses, especially if they're polarized, and look like much less of a tool.