Poll: Considering a new handheld system: PSVita or 3DS XL?

eleriaqueen

Aug 15, 2012
As a 3DS XL and PSVITA owner, I have to say the XL and normal are cheaply built, screen is Not OLED it's a cheap matrix, speakers are -utter- ass and, for the XL a lot of them have problems such as crackling / saturation in the audio after some time or after warranty has ended (Like I do >_<)!
But sadly that's not widespread information...
I have to say I'm disappointed in Nintendo, N64 and Gamecube were well built, but Wii and later models are really cheaply built.

Sure there are catchier games on the 3DS and the DS compatibility is just great. But if you want to buy a system that you can rely on, well go for the VITA, get Rayman Legends / Persona 4 Golden / Toukiden (a Hunting RPG) / Demon Gaze (march or april 2014, an RPG) / Mind 0 (May 2014, another RPG) / VVVVVV (soon to be released, superb platformer) / Duke Nukem Megaton Ed. (soon to be released, coop Duke Nukem action YEAH!) / Ys Memories of Celceta

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Well the Vita is kinda dead so 3DS is the way to go. Unless you live in a PAL region.

Also, Bravely Default just came out. Beats any Vita game by far.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
FFP2 said:
Well the Vita is kinda dead so 3DS is the way to go. Unless you live in a PAL region.

Sony isn't supporting it much anymore and it's not selling anywhere close to 3DS numbers, but it's definitely not dead. According to IGN, the Vita has eighty upcoming games [http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/vita] whereas the 3DS only has 46. [http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/3ds]

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I will say that beinga PS+ member will greatly increase the value of the Vita.

Yopaz said:
Lightknight said:
My current dislike is the limited storage on the Vita but at least it has storage of any significance (eyes the 3DS meaningfully)
Uhm, it uses SD cards. I got 32 GB for about 15 dollars. I found a used one for the Vita priced 50.
Oh, in that case I'd leave that comment alone at my current dislike being the storage on the Vita. Thanks!

FFP2 said:
15% of the handheld market isn't dead. It's also about to come out with a borderlands 2 bundle (which I personally never thought was going to happen after those bioshock shenanigans). There's also a Vita Slim coming out. So I don't think dead means what you think it means.

st0pnsw0p said:
FFP2 said:

Sony isn't supporting it much anymore and it's not selling anywhere close to 3DS numbers, but it's definitely not dead. According to IGN, the Vita has eighty upcoming games [http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/vita] whereas the 3DS only has 46. [http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/3ds]
Yeah, they appear to be making a big hurrah soon. I imagine its success will determine its "deadness" for Sony.

They don't need to beat or even directly compete with Nintendo. They just need to make a profit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:
You can get any game that came out for the Game Boy Color for $5.99 on the Nintendo eShop, which includes three Zelda titles (Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening DLX.)

On my 3DS, I got "Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon" for free. You can also swap out SD cards. You get a 2 GB one to start, but in order to download a Japan-only game off the eShop (no physical copy in America,) I bought a secondary SD card of 16 GB for less than ten bucks.

Region-locking is a thing for the 3DS, but pretty much every game with English subtitles is available off the eShop.
Pretty cheap gaming. And if you can download and play game on the SD card (it isn't just for music or photos) that is great. One of my biggest aggravations with Sony Handhelds. I spent about 2 times what should have been necessary.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/390397/Ultra_64GB_Class_10_Secure_Digital_Extended_Capacity_-_UHS-I_%28SDXC_-_UHS-I%29_Flash_Media_Card_SDSDU-064G-A11

Dunno if the new Vita LCD will also need a proprietary card.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I don't think I'd like to choose in this situation. I have both, and I love both. 3DS most definitely has more games, but that's not to say that the Vita isn't coming into itself. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned around and started doing much better soon, and this year is looking good for it. It's a little more, but I'd still say it's worth it, though I would recommend shelling out for a bigger memory card. Oh, and get PSPlus, over half my games came from that.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
cloroxbb said:
Yes, the new Vita version will still use the Sony brand Vita memory card. It sucks, because Sony is soon to be releasing a 64GB card at almost $2/GB which is ridiculous. Even SSDs now are between $.50 and $1/GB...
Let's just hope that someday someone can make an adapter for the memory card slot like what happened with the PSP. Honestly the memory card thing is the main reason why I'm not getting a PSP yet because they are too dang expensive.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
as a Vita owner, unless you REALLY want to play Persona 4 Golden (which is still incredibly good, probably the best game I've ever played)
and I mean like REALLY REALLY want to play it, go with the 3DS

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Nintendo, because of its long-term existence, has a much larger library than the PS Vita could ever offer. And it doesn't look like the Vita is even offering PS2 games (that I know of,) and their dickish behavior in getting just PS1 games on it was so terrible Jim dedicated an episode of his show to it.
Nintendo does have a much larger game selection. But I have more games with the Vita already due to PS+ than I have time to play! So, I'm fine with the library size. At this time, top priorities are Walking Dead season 1 (I actually already had that on PS3, but this came free and I think it a much better version with the touch screen) Uncharted Golden Abyss and that gravity one. All 3 so far, are terrific. The racing games I also got are good. And with PS+, I understand more come each month. I just started this, so, we will see.

I am aggravated that very little is remote playable from the PS3. I've yet to try my Shadow of the Collosus yet, which is supposed to be remote playable. Assassin's Creed 4 is OK on the PS4. I'll have to look for JRPGs for it. I understand 3DS rules on that genre, which I'm sure I'd love on a handheld.

cloroxbb said:
Gorfias said:
Dunno if the new Vita LCD will also need a proprietary card.
Yes, the new Vita version will still use the Sony brand Vita memory card. It sucks, because Sony is soon to be releasing a 64GB card at almost $2/GB which is ridiculous. Even SSDs now are between $.50 and $1/GB...
That card is out. I bit the bullet and got one from Amazon and it did cost me about $120 rather than the $60 a standard card would have cost. Damn you Sony. But, that expense is about 2 new games. With PS+, I'm making up for it, I think. From what I'm reading in this thread, great games can be had cheap for the 3DS as well.

Does 3DS have a cable that allows you to play on the TV? Because Vita is missing that simple item. If it had one, it would make for a really great device to take on vacations.

Neronium said:
Honestly the memory card thing is the main reason why I'm not getting a PSP yet because they are too dang expensive.
You mean a Vita? PSP is last gen. From everything I'm reading in this thread, I'm really thinking of springing some more money, cuz I'm nuts, to get a big 2DS (the one that doesn't fold) as I have no dexterity and will likely find it easier to use. The JRPGs available for the DS systems are very tempting.

But the Vita has been a hoot so far. I can't recommend it enough, especially for graphics whores like me. And I love the dual analogue sticks and remote play and PS+. It has its strengths.

Biting the bullet and paying the whopping $120 for a 64 Gig card stung, but only once. From here on out, it should be a relatively low cost, high end experience.

EDIT:
Lots of compare/contrasts on youtube such as the one above. Being a klutz, an XL might be more my speed than the 2DS. But I see one in my future. Unless the next Nintendo handheld is coming? Any news?

EDIT 2: Interesting video. I'm spoiled and I think I want the premium experience described. I still play games on my PS2 because I get a nostalgia kick from it. But when this guy says playing on the DS feels old. I think I'll focus my money on my Vita. I will be interested in the next Nintendo handheld.

EDIT 3: though, this looks like cheap fun http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00EZPCWWA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

EDIT 4:
I'm hearing too much that the DS is an old experience, the Vita a premium one. If I want a huge library, I'd get an SNES bundle from ebay. I do want that premium experience. I guess I'm glad I got a Vita. I hope it sticks around long enough to keep me happy.

I'll check around the web to see if anything new is coming out from nintendo.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:
I got PS+ when I recently got my PS3. I doubt I will renew it. The second you stop paying for it, you lose all the games. It basically bricks them all on your hard drive. That's such a stupid model.
I hear that if you start up again, the games become playable again. If you're going to let it expire, can you at least delete the games from your hard drive?

For me, it is just a bonus. Even during the PS3 era, games started coming out that demanded an unused code to allow for online multi-player. I just got PS+ to do that on PS4. I didn't know about the games, so, for me, that's just a bonus!

The 3DS is better because Nintendo doesn't dick you around. The PS Vita has a great graphical interface, perhaps, but the games available on it and the overall package are less appealing.

Pokemon dominates all of handheld for a reason.
I'm still thinking about the 2DS. $130 for something to dink around on, try out that Pokemon (I had 3 N64 pokemon games and enjoyed them all on blue and yellow Pikachu system with 4 MB expansion pak!)

To a buyer, I'd have to ask do you need the state of the art? Will you be OK with N64 level graphics (or have they gotten any better? I have no idea why there's never been a Gamecube portable with new games but will also play your cube discs.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Big_Willie_Styles said:
The regular 3DS is fantastic. The newest Pokemon games are such a step up from Generation V. And I love the 3-D parts and the music is even better than previous games. Each generation gets incrementally better, but this was night and day. Nintendo knows what they're doing with Pokemon. Makes them a ridiculous amount of money on product licensing alone.
Interesting review
The original DS graphics were better than the N64. The 3DS is better than the Wii but a little bit less than the WiiU (you can easily tell this by looking at the in-game stills on the Super Smash Bros. 4 website because the game is coming out for both WiiU and 3DS.)

I think you can download most Nintendo-owned Gamecube and Wii titles for the WiiU on the Nintendo eShop. I don't have a WiiU yet (waiting for the announcement for the next main storyline Zelda title,) so I can't be sure.
If nothing else, I hope strong 3ds sales keep the Wii U afloat. I got one. Small enough investment for such an interesting device. So far, much better than the Wii. That it can play Wii games if I want is a nice bonus.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
I was in more or less the exact same situation you are now, and I ended up getting the 3DSXL (yes I have large hands).

It's weird, as a PC gamer I am used to high end graphics, so playing whith something which is basically N64 is a major downgrade. But then it's a handheld, so it's different, also the games for it are good enough for it to not matter.
I mean, just look at pokemon. The combat system is so good, it has actually not changed at all since the first one.

Not saying the vita don't have good games or anything, just saying that it feels like Ninendo games are less about graphics, and more about mechanics. So it depends on what you like I suppose, and I say a mechanically good game beats a good looking one any day.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Just wait. Always wait. The price on older handhelds can only go down once new hardware is released. Look at GBA's now, 40? at best these days.