Poll: Contemporary Anime Sucks: An In Depth Argument

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Jonluw said:
As an avid anime fan I admit that even the better ones like samurai champloo have filler-ey episodes.

But I cant help but love seeing a manga in it's full glory. I think many animes make good use of the manga. Even the silly ones like one piece (a guilty pleasure of mine) are funner to see animated despite being at least 50% filler. Because when push finally comes to shove every six episodes or so the fight scenes come out beautifully well done in my opinion and the sound effects are also quite good and I am a person who finds it very easy to visualize manga in motion.

Edit:

The_Waspman said:
OK, I'm far from an anime expert or anything (I happen to be very critical of what anime I will actually watch) but the first thing I thought when I read the OP was 'Obviously haven't seen Darker Than Black'. Which isn't based off a manga, is extremely complex with deep characters and story lines.
This totally forgot darker than black, shame about early parts of the second season, the ending of SE2 was good but the where pretty bad at the start.

The first series was absolutely brilliant.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
There's a smugness to your argument that rubs me the wrong way, probably didn't mean to come off that way, but...so much smugness and superiority. Like many people have said, sounds like symptoms of the long running animes, watch something like Kara no Kyokai or even Wolf's Rain and you'll find some amazing stuff.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Well after reading the block of text there I can see a few of your issues as well as a few of the benifits anime brings and why it is popular as a translation medium from manga.

Run-on anime that go past the 13/26/52 episode 'saga' tend to need the 'filler' because the artist is STILL drawing said manga and the animation had caught up to it requiring a side story to give the poor sap time to write without eating his gun, the 'filler' also helps for translation to english because its like a buffer of extra time.

As for the pacing and small sentiments that are missed in anime it is usually differs from anime to anime, now yes every anime will miss out, fill in, or just skip a certain part of the manga, and this could be to cut time or in one story I read, it's actually because the manga artist said 'go ahead and leave that out that was a dumb idea.'

Again with animation style I have to say that exists solely on run-on anime, anyone with half a fanboy/girl pass could tell you the animation depth in Death Note was pretty nice. However, the run-on anime do at time produce movies which give them a chance to show off and polish the animation to look as epic as the manga.

As for the why? Because many people believe they don't have time to read manga, yes it would be nice and provide a more epic experience, but you can reach more people with an epic storyline and characters with anime these days. Ever had a book (any kind, american, manga, etc.) that you can't stop telling your friends about because its so exciting? Well because of Anime now they can 'watch' and feel as exited as you and share in the experience.

Sorry for rambling on this one, when I read walls of text I feel I should address as many points as I can, and please do not read this as an arguementative, I mean it in an informative tone even though I may have failed to type it as such.

edit: nice poll, but that last answer is totally unneeded even if you did waste our time.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
All I can say is Death Note, dragon ball z, original fullmetal alchemist anime which deviated from the mangas story and wound up being better and suck it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
xXGeckoXx said:
Jonluw said:
As an avid anime fan I admit that even the better ones like samurai champloo have filler-ey episodes.
To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of Samurai Champloo.
It's well made and all, but in the end it's pretty much just Cowboy Bebop in feudal Japan.
I don't see how it has "filler-ey" episodes though.
I mean, the only episodes that contained any plot development more advanced than "our protagonists got a mile closer to the goal" were the first and last three or something.
The rest mainly just them walking in one direction and meeting a new obstacle for each episode. Every episode is practically filler.

If I'm going to guess as to which episodes you're referring to, I'd say it's the Baseball-episode and the Zombie-episode.
I maintain that these episodes fit perfectly in with the rest - narratively - they're just not as well made.

But in shows like Samurai Champloo the story of their travels is the entire point. They don't really have any overarching plot or real red string.
The whole "find the sunflower samurai" thing was - the way I see it - just an excuse to tell the stories of their travels.
Which I'm fine with. It's an interesting model of storytelling. It can get a bit dry at times though.
It's sort of like an 'everyday life' anime, only with a pretend-plot.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
I'm sorry, your arguments are all voiced towards long running shounen crap. I can easily say Durarara, Angel Beats, Toradora, Darker than Black, Higurashi, Baccano, Elfen Lied, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, and Fate/Stay Night, and you'd be wrong. And those are just off the top of my head.

I think you need to form a better opinion of anime before you burst out of the gate on your high horse.

Didn't say you were a ******, but I did certainly choose "you wasted my time"

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
But, thats like your opinion man.

Personally i like both, becaus ei know both can tell a story in different ways even though its about the same thing and i respect that change and enjoy both.

There is no reason to side for one, both are made for enjoyment and many would agree they suceed.

Also, not sure if troll or just stupid... most likely troll judging by past posts.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Jonluw said:
xXGeckoXx said:
Jonluw said:
To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of Samurai Champloo.
It's well made and all, but in the end it's pretty much just Cowboy Bebop in feudal Japan.
I don't see how it has "filler-ey" episodes though.
I mean, the only episodes that contained any plot development more advanced than "our protagonists got a mile closer to the goal" were the first and last three or something.
The rest mainly just them walking in one direction and meeting a new obstacle for each episode. Every episode is practically filler.

If I'm going to guess as to which episodes you're referring to, I'd say it's the Baseball-episode and the Zombie-episode.
I maintain that these episodes fit perfectly in with the rest - narratively - they're just not as well made.

But in shows like Samurai Champloo the story of their travels is the entire point. They don't really have any overarching plot or real red string.
The whole "find the sunflower samurai" thing was - the way I see it - just an excuse to tell the stories of their travels.
Which I'm fine with. It's an interesting model of storytelling. It can get a bit dry at times though.
It's sort of like an 'everyday life' anime, only with a pretend-plot.
I agree that they fit very well but they still seem to be a bit in the way in the case of the OP's argument which is very purist. I liked those episodes.

Also I love cowboy bebop, and I love feudal japan. And I agree exactly with what you say about the plot thought the last 2 episodes deal with the actual story and tie up the numerous glimpses you get of the characters' backstories. And I can enjoy everyday life part and good fight scenes. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai champloo (fighting is not the main point of either but is an important part of the characters themselves) are really even in terms of fight scenes though I give points to Samurai champloo for the funky music.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I disagree, several anime such as Eureka Seven and the classic FLCL are, in fact, better paced and more intellectually stimulating than their manga.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Sir/Ma'am, I am going to provide a pro and con to anime, manga, AND light novels, since they are too awesome and deserve a place somewhere in this thread.

ANIME:
+Allow you to watch a story animated, which makes you feel enveloped in the story
-There's a lot of anime recently coming out which are...how do I put it...shit ecchi harems. The problem with this is because it undermines some of the great animes out there because some lonely guy in his basement want to buy the naked figurine of the latest Hentai game adaptation rather than the super awesome half-mecha girl that can punch a whole through a fucking building or something.

MANGA:
+For those readers, it's a great way to get an interesting story while being able to visualize it
-Occasionally it's hard to draw epic scenes when your space is reduced to a single page, or even a box on a page, as shown here: http://4.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8845/02-007.0/compressed/l105.jpg

LIGHT NOVEL:
+For those readers who don't want a comic, this is similar to manga, with an occasional drawing, and I might add they're generally easy to read
-Some people prefer more complicated books, and these are generally so easy to read I could hand one to a six-year-old and she could understand, although the content may not be suitable for the age...

So, as I portray, each has something great about it, as well as something which may make it hard to invest in, or have interest in. To strengthen my agrument that anime can be really great in episodes, I direct you to this anime:

Contact me when you have thoroughly shat bricks.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Its a fair argument, but the smaller anime i find doesnt have a lot of those problems.
But then i have no real preference on when the anime was made, but if i enjoy it or not.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
This mostly just applies to Shonen stuff, and making a broad generalization like that is ridiculous. I don't like FPS's myself, they are popular, contemporary video games totally suck right?

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
It sounds like you're basing all anime off of the crap they show on adult swim... The only good one they ever showed was Deathnote. Go and watch that, Ergo Proxy, Trinity Blood, Elfen Lied... if they don't change ytour opinion I don't know what will

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I love how Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Iria, and everything involving horror, fantasy, and blood as fuck sword battles are eternally better than the philosophical, neo-emo, high school intellectualist crowd films.

/thread

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Your problem is that you start off by saying that all anime are based off of popular manga...and then completely change directions by saying that not all anime series and movies are based off of manga. Consistency is a necessary component of any argument, and you don't have it.

As for the subject matter, I'm not going to lie when I say that most of the stuff today is terrible. But the thing is, when good anime series and movies roll around they are really good. Anime is one of the most statistically surprising mediums out there, with almost 95% of anime series it being throw-away trash while that other 5% being treasured among almost everybody who watches them. I don't think anyone can quite explain the statistical anomaly that the Japanese have created, but those that are willing to avoid that 95% are in for a pleasant surprise.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Keep your pretentious, "intellectual" whiny crap. I'll be over here rocking out with Outlaw Star, Cowboy Beebop, Gurren Lagann, Welcome to the NHK... well that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

But the point still stands!