Poll: Could I get a little help?

Jun 13, 2011
Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I am wanting to get a present for my girlfriend, but I'm not sure what to get. She has been really excited for both Soul Calibur 5, and Catherine, but I'm not sure which one to get her as a surprise. I can give you a list of other games that she likes, but I don't really know what more info that I could give you guys. Hopefully you'll be able to help

Saints Row 2 & 3
Assassins Creed (First one)
The Binding of Isaac
Team Fortress 2
Sonic Generations
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Wonderland Online
Portal 2
Viva Pinata

(She has a 360, if it matters)

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
I'd say Catherine, as long as she loves challenging puzzles. It is very different than most games, too, so it should prove fresh.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I kinda laughed at TF2. I know you said 360, but I'm so used to it being free to play. So in my head...it was really weird.

But, I would say Cathrine as well. I haven't played it, but out of that list it seems the best choice. Second place would be portal 2, if she really has never played it.

Jun 13, 2011
oplinger said:
I kinda laughed at TF2. I know you said 360, but I'm so used to it being free to play. So in my head...it was really weird.

But, I would say Cathrine as well. I haven't played it, but out of that list it seems the best choice. Second place would be portal 2, if she really has never played it.
Portal 2 is on the list I gave, and she enjoyed it greatly.

Captcha: KISS ME

This relationship is moving too fast, Captcha. I'm afraid that I'll have to decline.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I'd go with Catherine, I haven't played it but as a Soul Calibur fan I found Soul Calibur 5 to be quite disappointing, and that's something you want to avoid as a present

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Tales of Vesperia is a good game if she likes or might want to take a look at what she likes about JRPGs.
If that isn't an option from the to I know Soul Calibur isn't going to let her down but I've heard loads of great things about Catherine also. But out of those two Soul Calibur.

Guybythestreet

May 31, 2009
I've heard soul calibur 5 wasn't as great as people hoped for. Catherine on the other hand (as someone said above) is both good and different from the usual.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Well I personally really loved Soul Calibur 4 and was utterly disappointed in Soul Cal 5. I don't recommend it.

I'd go with Catherine of the two. I haven't played it, it's just by virtue of NOT being SC5.

As for the other games, I cannot praise Sonic Generations enough. I was more than happy to sit down and play that game day after day. Assassin's Creed is also very good as is Portal 2.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
I went with Other.

Dust: An Elysian Tail

It released on XBLA just yesterday.

Utterly beautiful indie game in the metroidvania style with some slick and wicked (aerial) combat and stunning visuals.

I was up way past my bedtime last night playing it. I regret nothing!

I haven't gotten very deep in the story yet. Pretty basic, but with fun characters.

Fidget: "I'll foreclose on his face!"
Dust: "What? What is that even supposed to mean?"
Fidget: "Y'know, the mortgage on his face ran out. So I bite it off."

So much fourth wall breaking, too.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Soul Calibur 5 obviously. Not that I dislike Catherine but you can play SC5 together. Now that's romance.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well Catherine is a pretty unique experience so I suggest you go for that, TF2 you can get for free but I'm not sure if Microsoft/Xbox allows such heresy.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Catherine is amazing, although I once played it in front of my girlfriend and she hated it because of the disturbing horror of the boss fights. I think I was up to the murderous baby at that point...if your girlfriend wants it though, definitely get it. It's got a brilliant story, one of the best relationships in video games I've ever seen, gorgeous art direction, and it's surprisingly fun if you don't mind the difficulty!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I cast my vote for Catherine. But I'm biased because I really, really did not like Soul Calibur V. I loved SCIII to bits, but I don't like either IV or V. Also Catherine has amazing music and it's full of voice actors made of awesome like Troy Baker, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey and Yuri Lowenthal. The game's art style is fantastic, and it has Boss. Boss is an awesome character, favorite in the game. The art direction is beautiful and the gameplay is nothing short of brilliant.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Catherine, that game is fun and it's actually a great game to play together. Even before you get into coop it's hard so with two brains working on it and passing the controller back and forth you can finish much quicker and tons of fun. It's like playing hot potato with the controller while playing Catherine.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Saromnour said:
Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I am wanting to get a present for my girlfriend, but I'm not sure what to get. She has been really excited for both Soul Calibur 5, and Catherine, but I'm not sure which one to get her as a surprise.
Maybe I'm just a paranoid person, but were I a lady I probably wouldn't want Catherine as a birthday present. I'd worry you were trying to tell me something.

"Surprise! I got you this game about a guy cheating on his girlfriend but feeling super bad about it. Happy birthday!"

OT: Get her Arkham Asylum. Can't go wrong with Batman dick-punching his way to victory.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Playing Catherine will make her miss you when you're not around ;D