Poll: Crapy Endings to Beloved Series

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Why the hell is anyone talking about Game Of Thrones? GAME OF THRONES ISN'T OVER YET. Jesus Christ, there's still two more books and six more seasons to go before you can say whether or not the ending was bad.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Not crappy as in "bad" but the end of District 9 made me feel utterly alone which I suppose was one of the points it was to be honest a rather fantastic ending as far as quality. Whatever Call of Duty/Modern Warfare/Battlefield (they all blur tougher to me) ended with the nuke was also depressing yet fantastic in it's delivery.

The Matrix and Mass Effect 3 are the only depressing endings I actually feel to be utterly dissatisfying the end of the matrix to the point where i just clocked it out because it was just so bad it is like it never happened, likely the same will be said of Mass Effect but at leas i like the who Mass Effect trilogy I only like the first Matrix.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Eva ended pretty horribly, even by anime standards.

It's the ONLY ending that ruined an entire series for me.

The fact that some people lapped it up as "profound" or other similar thoughts sickens me.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Why the hell is anyone talking about Game Of Thrones? GAME OF THRONES ISN'T OVER YET. Jesus Christ, there's still two more books and six more seasons to go before you can say whether or not the ending was bad.
Unless you have read the books, sadly I have not but i hear it is not "and they all live happily ever after"

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Jonluw said:
Mahou sensei Negima.
I just...
Sigh.

It's the most disappointing ending I've ever read.
oh i so get you! reading last chapter was physically painful and i can't count how many times i said WTF.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I'd imagine you're referring to the end of the Hunger Games series of books rather than the end of that one film, but that one film is all I've experienced, so I'll rag on that. I found the ending quite disappointing, they even raise the possibility of a good ending just to completely go back on it within 30 seconds, so pointless. Then again, I found everything after the game began to be quite disappointing. They took an interesting concept (admittedly ripped off from a Japanese series, but whatever) that could have led to some interesting ideas being explored such as loss of innocence and humanity but instead made some generic typical bland second half. So disappointing.

And I don't think Lord of the Rings had a disappointing ending, the whole climax at mount doom I thought was pretty cool, but the stuff afterwards drags on way too long in both the film and particularly in the book. Although in the book

Saruman does invade hobbiton for some reason at the end of the book
I just didn't really enjoy that part that much, I'd kinda lost interest in it during the overly long post-mt.doom part. I did really enjoy the books overall though, this isn't an attack on them.

The Matrix series, to me, didn't have a disappointing ending, it had a disappointing couple of sequels so the ending was just par for the course by the time we got there.

Haven't seen the endings of your other suggestions. And can't think of a disappointing ending off the top of my head. I suppose Bioshocks ending isn't that great, but then again that twist scene was a tough act to follow. That'll do for now.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
I'll be honest here and go with Stargate SG-1. Not so much that the ending was bad, but that they beat the Goa'uld, and then O NO WAIT THERE'S A BIGGER BAD O NOES. The last 2 seasons just felt really contrived to me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The ending to Akira (the comic) always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It feels a bit hostile and xenophobic. Also, the surviving heroes suddenly referring to Japan as "The Great Tokyo Empire", when this was the banner of those rat bastard villains from the second half of the series, feels kinda like a betrayal.

Sep 13, 2010
Oh goodie, I have been looking for an excuse to mention this

XXXholic
since this sucker is 19 volumes long and mixes continuity with Tsubasa this will be hard to explain but I will try. in the first 15 volumes the heroes are trying to stop the bad guy from preventing the death of Yuko because the universe will dissolve or something if those who are meant to die don't. After all that our main hero has to stay in a shop aging very slow waiting for yuko to come back which she can't because you can't resurrect the dead (well you can if they are reborn, that's how the hero's dad is his own clone). so now that we have written ourselves into a nice corner the author clearly had no clue how to end it and the deadline for the end was looming. What we end up with is watching the hero not age while the rest of the cast ages, moves on, and dies which is actually well written and very sad. At the very end our hero receives Yuko's final message which is basically "you are free now, I'm not coming back, move on with life" to which he responds "nah I'll keep waiting here" no realization, no payoff. The thing that get's me even more riled is that they hint that the hero is being prepared for something big but it never happens. I'm left with the feeling a 20th volume was intended but couldn't be made for some reason, and we will never see the intended ending.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Why is The Matrix up there? It's only one movie, not a series. Sure, they never did end that whole machine war business, but did they have to?

Skylare

Dec 29, 2011
i have to say "queens blade" it ended before they chose the next queen

and y harry potter it was awesome movie series

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
I might say "Back to the Future", but, I'm not sure I can really consider it quite the same, since it's more how it dragged on, rather than how it ended.

I noticed recently that an old childhood game of mine called "Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge" had kind of an irritating ending. Frogger and Lillie Frog are still stuck in that cage! How do they get out? On top of that, Tad's escape kind of rendered all previous events of the entire game totally pointless. Not to mention how Swampy's machine blowing up somehow makes the sun come up instantly, complete with chirping birds. I suppose Zapper: One Wicked Cricket made up for that. Very overlooked game. I absolutely adored the ending in that one.

Oh... Sonic Generations. For so many reasons. Namely, because both Sonic and Eggman created their own boostrap paradoxes. And how so much of it just doesn't make any sense. The paradoxes are probably even worse than '06. Then again, the story wasn't good to begin with, but, come on!

Then, there was this one film... Can't remember what it was called, though. Some nerdy gamer kid was being picked on so bad, but some girl he met in an RPG was trying to help him through it. Then, he faked a suicide to try and make a point. Well, that's all well and good, except that it's revealed that the girl was a figment of his imagination the entire time! Thus, creating one huge paradox! How could he have learned all of these things from her if she never existed? How can his brain teach him things he didn't even know? How could those bullies have picked on him drugged as their reaction to the message he got from her on his cell phone? Why would he get on the train with her if she wasn't real!? It just seemed to ruin everything the film was building up and standing for.

Good grief, I wish I could remember the name of that movie. I think it was like "Something X" or something or other...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Eva ended pretty horribly, even by anime standards.

It's the ONLY ending that ruined an entire series for me.

The fact that some people lapped it up as "profound" or other similar thoughts sickens me.
Oh god it's back xD. I beg to differ, I liked it. But only because of the message. That numbed my sense of 'what the fuck?'

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Battlestar Galactica.

New one not older one.

It had happy and sad bits and made me shed manly tears .... how dare it.

That wasn't the disappointing part though .... I still don't know what the flaming feth Starbuck was supposed to be after the whole finding her corpse type thing.

Did it explain it ... NO ... she just vanishes.
Starbuck was
an angel, like the visions of Number Six and Baltar. They were shown to be able to interact with objects when they wanted to, so Starbuck was still physical, just not exactly human. Leobon said that when he looked at her he didn't see Kara Thrace anymore, he saw an angel burning with the light of god. Of course, as we all know, "It doesn't like that name"

DumpsterHumper said:
I never really cared for the ending of the TV show "Angel".
That wasn't entirely their call, studio politics screwed them out of a sixth season at the last minute. They had enough of a warning to make Don't Fade Away the actual last episode, but since they knew they'd probably get the chance to keep it going in the comics they decided to leave it open, and give it a hell of an atypical finale as well.

As with so many other people I thought the ending to the Matrix was a bit disappointing, but I actually liked Reloaded. Revolution's biggest problem beyond even the end was simply that it spend too much time in the real world, watching them shoot squids was cool but not nearly enough to make up half the movie. Enterprise had a pretty lame end too. It was an interesting concept but they bungled the execution of the story way, way too bad. And more then anything else I can't stand the entirety of Return of the Jedi, especially the end.

I guess there aren't really a lot of endings I don't like. I loved all the classic ones that people like to throw around like Lost, Battlestar, Harry Potter. Hell, I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos and I still absolutely love the last five or so minutes.

kazeryu

Jun 8, 2011
The 'ending' of stargate universe. it's mostly because the serie never ended but they cancelled the serie after the second season. The endings of SG-1 and Atlantis weren't great either but they atleast had an ending. Even though I love the series and have some episodes 4 times already.