Poll: Daniel Tosh threatens Woman with Gang Rape

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
spartan231490 said:
marche45 said:
Catrixa said:
"Well, if you're attacking X, why aren't you attacking A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y, and Z as well? You know, to have valid opinions, you need to be attacking every issue that can be construed as bad if you want to attack one"?
Is their a name for this fallacy?
It's not a fallacy. In fact, the argument about letters is a straw man, trying to show that this subject is false analogy. The comparison is valid in this situation. If you are saying that it's unacceptable to joke about rape, than you need to explain why rape is worse than other subjects(including genocide, the holocaust, and dead babies, tough sell).

The reason the argument mentioned isn't false analogy because it's comparing jokes about one subject to jokes about another subject, he's still comparing jokes to each other, which is appropriate. To make the argument, you need to find some reason that rape is so much worse than these other things, you can't just say that you can't compare them without offering a reason. Personally, I can't see any such reason.
I guess not as many people here watch Jim Sterlings videos as I thought because I could have sworn he dealt with this part of the issue a few weeks ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5972-Rape-vs-Murder

I don't like the guy and I have disdain for a lot of what he has said in the past but he actually handles this one pretty well, it doesn't take a great deal of thought to see how it might apply to a situation like this.

As for the name of the fallacy, I use short hand like : total fucking moron.

Captcha: cop an attitude

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
I'm a believer of "Say what you want because you can", and find it absurd that the poll doesn't include a "Yes" option, shows the ignorance of OP.

Does it suck? Eeyup. Is rape a serious crime with horrendous personal after-effect? Eeyup. Should I be limited in my speech just because someone could get offended? Eenope. If you don't like what our man Tosh has to say, then stop watching his show (as OP has stated) and inform fans of his show that Tosh is willing to cross the rape line.

And, if this is so bad, why is the line "Does this smell like chloroform to you?" so acceptable?

-Chillz

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Yes, good rape jokes are funny, just like murder jokes, racist jokes, and so on. I say they're funny because

a) A good joke is supposed to be funny, ergo a good rape joke is funny
b) I'm mature enough not to take it seriously or confuse the joke itself with the comedian's opinions

And I believe what he was trying to say was "Wouldn't it be incredibly ironic and therefore funny if she was gang raped right after saying gang rape isn't funny?"

Because I would totally find that level of irony hilarious even though I can empathize with the victim, just like I would find someone saying "I'll be fine" right before cycling into a pole to be funny even though I can sympathize with the pain they must have felt when it happened.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
snowfi6916 said:
DugMachine said:
snowfi6916 said:
How much you wanna bet Comedy Central cancels Tosh.0 because of this?
How much you want to bet this petty crusade won't do a thing to Tosh's career? People act like he was a nobody before Comedy Central. He wasn't, he had a strong following for his stand up and now he gets paid a crap load for Tosh.0 with a new generation of fans.

This whole fiasco will do nothing but make more publicity and money for him in the long run. Comedy Central won't fire a comedian for making rape jokes while they still have their other comedians making black jokes and homosexual jokes. Oh and as well as murder, genocide, torture and other horrendous topics that are hilarious if told right.

edit: well I guess it will do a thing for his career, get him more fans.
I didn't say that as a gripe against Tosh. I meant that usually when things like this make this much of a public backlash, the company in question would rather make good with the public than hold onto something that caused them problems in the first place.
Oh yeah sorry I understood you weren't saying it as a personal gripe, I probably should have made that clear. My post was more of a general statement as well. Sorry for the confusion :D

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Father Time said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
From the woman's article: "The suggestion... was meant to put me in my place"

yes. Yes it was. And damned if it didn't work!
Don't heckle the person onstage. If you don't like the act, leave. At no point is it acceptable behavior to call out like a little child.

This woman is ENTIRELY in the wrong, and this thread offends me. The title is misleading, the poll is shameful, and the entire thread topic is whining about a comedian DOING HIS NORMAL STAND-UP.

But of course, so many of you are still gonna insist that this is something horrible, because that's the latest damn bandwagon to jump on. I'm sick of it.
""The suggestion... was meant to put me in my place""

Well yes, that's how you respond to a heckler, put them in their place, get them to shut up or call security.

I find it weird that she's surprised by this.
THANK you! I'm glad you agree. This whole circus is ridiculous. At least Spoony actually PROPOSED raping the woman got in trouble with, this incident with Tosh is a complete NON-thing

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
It's really ridiculous that people are complaining about Daniel Tosh, a man who has made a media empires on the backs of people unfortunate enough to be hurt while on camera, making inappropriate jokes. Was it right for him to do what he did (making rape jokes directly to a female audience member)? No, of course not. However, this poll asks whether it is acceptable to joke about rape, and I'd say that yes, it is acceptable. It has to be, you see, because otherwise the first amendment and the freedom of speech become meaningless. If it's unacceptable to joke about one serious subject, such as rape, how long until we start flat out banning jokes entirely, because most of them are based around the humiliation or denigration of a group or person. Jokes about pedophile priests, gays, rednecks, rich people, poor people, white people, etc. are all part of understanding serious topics in a way that we can understand. If you start separating groups based on race or gender, then you're only encouraging resentment, jealousy, and dislike toward the other group. So I say, Daniel Tosh was wrong when he made that joke, but I encourage him to keep at it, because hundreds of thousands of Americans have died over the last two and half centuries to defend his right to make inappropriate jokes.

DrBonBon

Sep 14, 2011
How about that South Park episode where Lucas and Spielberg rape Indiana Jones three times?

Savvz

Mar 9, 2010
So jokes about terrorism are fine but gang rape is off the table. Got it.

Americans are weird.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Savvz said:
So jokes about terrorism are fine but gang rape is off the table. Got it.

Americans are weird.
Modern pseudo-feminists*

Most Americans seem (as far as this thread goes) far more tolerant of rape jokes than this stupid blogger.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Seriously, someone slap the OP for creating a retarded poll. I for one think rape, as ALL things, is acceptable to joke about.

I mean, at that point, we might as well stop all the dead baby jokes too. And cancer jokes... and nazi jokes.

twohundredpercent

Dec 20, 2011
Well this thread made it to 23 pages didn't it.

There's people who think The Onion is real news, so I guess this isn't much of a stretch.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
What Daniel did wasn't nice but that's his thing. He's an unapologetic douche and that's what people pay to see. Not the woman's fault of course but she would have maybe seen that if she'd known anything about the comic....and any joke can be funny. No matter what. If someone laughs it's a joke. People laughed. It's a joke. Poor taste or not people got what they paid to see.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
ITT: people still saying its free speech to say whatever you want, however you want and people should just STFU about it but lambasting the OP for a poll without option they want and demanding he change it.

Father Time said:
He apologized for what he said but I don't think he endorsed either accounts.
Maybe I'm being too cynical (or Tosh is too idiotic) but if he were to publicly apologise for saying something and the most widely circulated account of the incident was wrong...wouldn't he take the fucking opportunity to correct it?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
mirasiel said:
spartan231490 said:
marche45 said:
Catrixa said:
"Well, if you're attacking X, why aren't you attacking A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y, and Z as well? You know, to have valid opinions, you need to be attacking every issue that can be construed as bad if you want to attack one"?
Is their a name for this fallacy?
It's not a fallacy. In fact, the argument about letters is a straw man, trying to show that this subject is false analogy. The comparison is valid in this situation. If you are saying that it's unacceptable to joke about rape, than you need to explain why rape is worse than other subjects(including genocide, the holocaust, and dead babies, tough sell).

The reason the argument mentioned isn't false analogy because it's comparing jokes about one subject to jokes about another subject, he's still comparing jokes to each other, which is appropriate. To make the argument, you need to find some reason that rape is so much worse than these other things, you can't just say that you can't compare them without offering a reason. Personally, I can't see any such reason.
I guess not as many people here watch Jim Sterlings videos as I thought because I could have sworn he dealt with this part of the issue a few weeks ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5972-Rape-vs-Murder

I don't like the guy and I have disdain for a lot of what he has said in the past but he actually handles this one pretty well, it doesn't take a great deal of thought to see how it might apply to a situation like this.

As for the name of the fallacy, I use short hand like : total fucking moron.

Captcha: cop an attitude
His arguments are wrong. First, that rape has a victim that can't fight back. So do most of your murder victims in many stealth games, like Assassins Creed or Tenchu. These games didn't face backlash.

Second point, that rape is power fantasy that only men can enjoy. This frankly disgusts me because it, like so many things, ignores the fact that men are raped. Further, it's not applicable to jokes. Jokes aren't about power fantasies. While this argument might be just a tiny bit applicable to games about rape, it is certainly not applicable to jokes, or even games like Tomb Raider that contain rape, but aren't about rape.

Third, that death comes to us all, so it's more relatable. While true, most of us won't die by the sword, or the gun. Further, his earlier argument talked about murder, now he is classifying it as the same "death" that we all must face, which I don't find to be valid. Very few of us will be murdered. Even still, there are heaps of evidence to support that many of us, particularly young people like those that play video games, don't really conceptualize our own death. That's why facing death closes is such a traumatic experience.

Fourth. That if you've been raped, you will be reminded about your experience every time you play a game about rape(or in this case hear a joke about rape). Sorry, this is inapplicable in both situations. If there was a game about rape(and apparently there are) the title would warn you(and it seems they do). The same with jokes, anyone who goes to a Daniel Tosh performance and doesn't believe he might tell a rape joke is an idiot. Further, this woman never mentioned anything about being raped, or even so much as knowing someone who was raped. Also, if you won't allow jokes to be told about rape for this reason, then how can you allow women to traumatize themselves by speaking about their own rape, which must be much worse. How can we allow them to testify? How can we allow them to speak about their experiences in public to warn other women? It's not like it was Jeff Foxworthy when no one could have expected dark humor, it was Daniel Tosh, that's what he does, you have no right to be surprised. Further, as so many have said before, she could have left quietly instead of trying to ruin the show for everyone else.

Fifth, we are comfortable with murder because it's obviously wrong but rape isn't. This is such ludicrous crap I don't even really know how to form an argument against it other than: are you mental? But I'll try. No one actually believes it's ok to rape people, except the crazy people that do it, same as murder. Go ahead, ask yourself, ask your friends, ask you family. You won't find one person who says: "yes, it's ok to rape people"

Sixth, "Comedians like Dave Chapelle inadvertently minimize and justify rape" BULL FUCKING SHIT. It's dark humor, it's like satire, it's being ironic. It's not meant to be taken seriously. They make jokes just the same about the holocaust, are they inadvertently minimizing and justifying the holocaust? No, somehow rape has it's own magical shield that makes it different than every other subject on earth. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Seventh, there are tips for women to avoid being raped, but not for people to avoid being murdered. Actually, yeah there are. Lock your doors at night, avoid gang controlled neighborhoods, get a home security system, ask to see their badge before you trust a police officer. Hell, I bet you've been told to yell "fire" instead of "help" if you need help. But for some crazy reason, if you do this same thing about rape, you're blaming the victim. BULLSHIT! Sure, you might hear the "how not to get raped tips" more than "how not to get murdered," but 1/6 people don't get murdered now do they?

Eight, fictional villains who are meant to be truly evil often rape people because it's somehow more evil than murder. Fair, but they often commit genocide too, but genocide and the holocaust somehow ok to put in games and jokes while people still claim rape isn't fair game for these mediums, BULLSHIT!

Lastly, at the very end of it, he supports that artists should have the right to make games about rape, they should just be labeled as a little weird. Why doesn't Daniel Tosh get the same artistic freedom?