Poll: Dark souls and the lack of cut-scenes, a positive or negative point ?

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I just wish i was able to play thouses games... i can,t judge them since i can,t get past the damn tutorials

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Intro
Leaving the Northern Undead Asylum(first time)
Picking a fight with the Bell Gargoyles
Ringing the first bell
Return to the Northern Undead Asylum
Leaving Northern Undead Asylum(second time)
Abduction to the room where you join Gravelord Servants.
Picking a fight with the Gaping Dragon
Picking a fight with Chaos Witch Quelaag
Ringing the second bell
Opening the gate to Sen's Fortress
Lava receding after the defeat of Ceaseless Discharge
Batwing Demons carrying you to Anor Londo
Going into the Painted World of Ariamis
Leaving the Painted World of Ariamis
Picking a fight with Executioner Smough and Dragonslayer Ornstein
Anor Londo turning into Dark Anor Londo
Picking a fight with Dark Sun Gwyndolin
Defeating Dark Sun Gwyndolin
Placing the Lordvessel
Picking a fight with the Centipede Demon
Breaking weakpoint #1 on Bed of Chaos
Breaking weakpoint #2 on Bed of Chaos
Picking a fight with Great Grey Wolf Sif(there are two, one main cutscenes and an altered cutscene)
Releasing the Flood Gates at New Londo
Defeating the Four Kings
Picking a fight with Gravelord Nito
Seath's attempt to stop you from breaking his immortality crystal
Link the Flame ending
Dark Lord ending
Being dragged back in time by Manus
Picking a fight with Knight Artorias
Hawkeye Gough shooting Black Dragon Kalameet out of the sky
Picking a fight with Manus, Father of the Abyss

3 cutscenes, you say? It's possible that I missed a few, but these are all the cutscenes I can think of, right off the top of my head. Anything listed below the ending cutscenes are from the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Cut-scenes can be awesome or terrible depending on the game and how they are used. I don't think they are very appropriate in a game like Dark Souls because they don't suit its style. Everything about Dark Souls and especially the story is very subtle and you will have to work to discover the information you need. Cut-scenes contradict this style in that they allow you to sit back and be spoon fed information.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I think DS gets the balance just right, just enough to advance to plot and inform the player what he needs to do. Alot of so called modern action games take the control away from the player way too much. Max Payne 3 is a good example.

DS rendered cutscenes are up there with Final Fantasy for eyecandy, I wish more modern games would use them (sparingly) rather than just in game / real time rendered cutscenes.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Could be good, could be bad. It depends. My rules for cutscenes:
1. Cutscenes should not contradict the player. I am not your taxi driver so don't undermine my actions.
2. Cutscenes should not have action sequences involving the PC. I can do it myself thanks.
3. Cutscenes should be short and concise. This is a game, not a movie.

Cutscenes are great for showing something I can't see in game, eg NPC's actions, expositions, etc...

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Cutscenes are hugely beneficial to story telling, and Dark souls' story isn't that strong (the lore is great though). Cutscenes were good to introduce some of the bosses, but they just aren't necessary in such a gameplay focused game like Dark Souls.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It's positive in a game like Dark Souls where the vast majority of the story can be perfectly conveyed *without* cutscenes.

For Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, this means that the two-to-five seconds of cutscene before each boss fight, and only right before boss fights, are a lot more powerful and effective.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
The lack of cutscenes in Dark Souls is beautiful. Them being there simply to introduce the boss about to annihilate you has a very strong impact that exposition filled cutscenes just don't have. And when their are cutscenes its usually there for atmosphere, transition and to give you an idea of whats ahead of you.

And no one should be worried about Dark Souls 2 either. Played the beta... scary cutscenes introducing the monstrosity that will end your life are alive and well.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Positive. Definitely a positive. I feel like most games are way too reliant on cutscenes. Stop me if you heard this before, but I feel like games are becoming more movie like and less game like. I'm not saying get rid of cutscenes altogether, just wish dev's would make better use of their medium instead of aping off movies all the time.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's positive in the sense that you're never really taken out of the action unless you have to be.

It's "negative" in that many threats are not telegraphed and take advantage of this heavily, although it does reinforce the theme that most of the individuals in this game are huge jerks anyway.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
The cutscenes in Dark Souls like several have said just show action. Ringing the Bells, O&S intro, and other things. Short and sweet. No story exposition with tedious dialogue or anything like that.

I know a lot of people wanted there to be a cutscene with Gwyn before you fight him, and I couldn't disagree more with those people. You walk into the Kiln, hear those three notes from the piano and before you know it he's leaping at you with a fiery greatsword. No cutscene necessary, and I can't help but think that was the point.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Exius Xavarus said:
Intro
Leaving the Northern Undead Asylum(first time)
Picking a fight with the Bell Gargoyles
Ringing the first bell
Return to the Northern Undead Asylum
Leaving Northern Undead Asylum(second time)
Abduction to the room where you join Gravelord Servants.
Picking a fight with the Gaping Dragon
Picking a fight with Chaos Witch Quelaag
Ringing the second bell
Opening the gate to Sen's Fortress
Lava receding after the defeat of Ceaseless Discharge
Batwing Demons carrying you to Anor Londo
Going into the Painted World of Ariamis
Leaving the Painted World of Ariamis
Picking a fight with Executioner Smough and Dragonslayer Ornstein
Anor Londo turning into Dark Anor Londo
Picking a fight with Dark Sun Gwyndolin
Defeating Dark Sun Gwyndolin
Placing the Lordvessel
Picking a fight with the Centipede Demon
Breaking weakpoint #1 on Bed of Chaos
Breaking weakpoint #2 on Bed of Chaos
Picking a fight with Great Grey Wolf Sif(there are two, one main cutscenes and an altered cutscene)
Releasing the Flood Gates at New Londo
Defeating the Four Kings
Picking a fight with Gravelord Nito
Seath's attempt to stop you from breaking his immortality crystal
Link the Flame ending
Dark Lord ending
Being dragged back in time by Manus
Picking a fight with Knight Artorias
Hawkeye Gough shooting Black Dragon Kalameet out of the sky
Picking a fight with Manus, Father of the Abyss

3 cutscenes, you say? It's possible that I missed a few, but these are all the cutscenes I can think of, right off the top of my head. Anything listed below the ending cutscenes are from the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
Yeah the ones where Kingseeker Frampt gulps you in his mouth while transporting you to and from firelink shrine. =)

I am pretty indifferent about the cut scenes, mostly because you can skip them if you want, I hate games that make you watch them every time.