Poll: Deadliest Warrior, Crap and Poor-Taste?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Welcome to my rant about Deadliest Warrior, a show where two warriors from history are pitted against each other. Now, since the Escapist is generally one of the more enlightened areas of the internet, I suspect many of you will echo my feelings that the show is awful, idiotic crap. They only compare weapons, never tactics, terrain or the intented enemies of the warriors weapons.

For example, in the Vietcong vs Waffen SS episode, does it talk about how the Vietcong were guerilla fighters, who would spring up from holes in the ground, kill you and then disappear? Nope, they just treat it as a one on one (fine, fair enough, five on five) fight to the death.

They don't even test the weapons in ways similar to how the weapons would have been used. In the recent episode Napoleon vs Washington, they clearly state that Napoleons muskets were designed for volley fire (for those in the dark, volley fire is where you have regiments of men fire the muskets, so that chances are something is hit). They then claim to simulate the volley fire with 4 men. 4! 4 is not volley fire, 20 is volley fire.

But enough about how crap the show is, I'm here to discuss it being in poor taste. I'm going to examine two episodes here, IRA vs Taliban (which has been aired) and Saddam Hussein vs Pol Pot (which has not been aired).

Now, I say that the IRA vs Taliban episode was in poor taste for a few reasons. Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland". The show is incredibly sympathetic to them (but not to the Taliban of course) despite the fact that the IRA were terrorists, who killed innocents. You may say why worry, but I say that there is a strange amount of IRA sympathism in America already, and while people are entitled to opinions, I want people clear that the IRA are terrorists, not freedom fighters, not oppresed liberators.

The other reason is about an event that happened for a split second, but disgusted me. While watching a video of an IRA bombing (which killed civilians) the main host went, "WOW, HARDCORE!" I wonder what he did when he watched the videos of 9/11, did he say HARDCORE then? Seriously, what a moment of utter tastelessness.

Anyway, this is why I worry about Saddam Hussein (former dictator of Iraq, if you didn't know) vs Pol Pot (former dictator of the Khmer Rouge, a brutal Cambodian dictatorship, which commited genocide against it's people). The experts they get in for each side of the fight always end up very much on their fighters "team", really supporting them. And don't say they wouldn't do this with Saddam and Pol, this occured even with the friggin' Nazis. I'm also seriously concerned that we might get another, "WOW HARDCORE" moment, though I admit that's unlikely, since both these guys fought against America which forces the show to be a bit more aligned against them (that's why the Taliban didn't get as much sympathy as the IRA)

Thoughts on this? Have I been reasonable?

Apr 28, 2008
Considering Spike's target audience, I'm not surprised really. I think you're just thinking about it too much. Yeah it's rather stupid, but it's the same for pretty much everything on Spike. It's there for entertainment first, scientific facts and whatnot, like, 4th or something.

Yeah your being reasonable, but it's kind of wasted energy. It's Spike, it's kind of what they do.

That being said, I still watch it. I kind of like the corny action-scenes.

Mar 30, 2010
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
You're reading far, far, far too much into it. The show is light entertainment, not factual documentary. Don't take it seriously.
But it pretends to be serious and factual, it acts like it is hard science. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but maybe it should make it clearer that it is light entertainment.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
No, it's not perfect, but it's still fun to watch. Also, Faramir narrates it.

Feb 13, 2008
orangeban said:
But enough about how crap the show is, I'm here to discuss it being in poor taste. I'm going to examine two episodes here, IRA vs Taliban (which has been aired) and Saddam Hussein vs Pol Pot (which has not been aired).
TBF, the IRA vs. the Taliban hasn't been showing in the UK/Ireland for that very reason.

If I'm brutally honest, it's just shite TV but the "real battles" are suprisingly well choreographed and with the dial set one step up from indulgent.

Generally, ignore the first two thirds of the program, and enjoy the WWE spectacle at the end.

They truly have NO idea on the effectiveness of tactics, weapons, history, biology or anything else though.

Ninja's can't beat Spartans because they're too well armoured? Ninjas attack when they're not armoured. Spartans only attack in giant clumps.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I Would agree with that up until the new season where it SEEMS they are using things like logistics and generalship to help determine the winner. also one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist there is no label because they use the same method it is like art no one can say whether it is good or bad.

Mar 30, 2010
orangeban said:
Grouchy Imp said:
But it pretends to be serious and factual, it acts like it is hard science. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but maybe it should make it clearer that it is light entertainment.
I'd be worried if many people believe their 'science' though. When comparing two data sets (as the show does) the first rule is that the two data sets must have been produced under identical conditions. Just thinking back to a few episodes I've seen I can remember the Viking vs Ninja weapon tests where the Ninja weapons were swung by Gymfreak McSteroid and the Viking weapons by a long-haired hippy type who had the muscle tone of a limp elastic band. Other examples include the SEALS vs Spetznaz episode where the SEALS grenades were tested for 'lethality' against unshielded targets in an enclosed space (to amplify the blast) and the Spetznaz grenades were tested out in the open against lightly shielded targets. The data collected by their 'analyst' is so badly skewed in favour of one party over the other that they may as well just state at the start of the show "We'd like these guys to win!" and be done with it.

Maybe I'm not viewing the show as your average viewer would (having been a data analyst myself for the last fifteen years) but to me the entire show screams "total piss-take!". It's just a televised version of those 'X vs Y' arguements people get into, and as a result the situations are totally hypothetical and any conclusions drawn are ultimately meaningless.

It is cool to see what ancient weapons to do ballistic gel dummies though.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
CrazyMedic said:
also one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist there is no label because they use the same method it is like art no one can say whether it is good or bad.
The thing is though, the show says that the IRA were freedom fighters and comes damn close to calling them the good guys, which they don't do at all with the Taliban. Besides, the IRA killed civilians and made peaceful dispute very difficult, they are a tad more supportable than the Taliban (what with the want for Sharia Law and a extreme Islamic-state on top of all the terrorism) but the IRA don't look like nice people even in comparison.

And wether you agree with the IRA or not, the HARDCORE (yes, that really got to me) moment takes the cake either way.

Sep 14, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
to the OP

it is SPIKE tv...

idk what that means to people outside of america, but it is ALWAYS complete and total entertainment...

even then, it is tv, chill out.

my goodness i swear sometimes people have too much time and free brain power on their hands than they know what to do with..

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I don't watch the show, I haven't see anything too offensive on the shows I caught, but those were pretty unoffensive guys, like Vladimir against Sun Tsu. It is a pretty silly show though

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
CATB320 said:
Assuming you are referring to Faramir from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you have been seriously misinformed. David Wenham has never worked on the show.

OT: You bring up many good points, and I have found myself disgusted sometimes while watching the show. However, as many have said, you are obviously not the target audience and this is not a show for you.

Feb 13, 2008
orangeban said:
Firstly because according to the show the IRA (Irish Republican Army, a group of terrorists trying to make Northern Ireland part of the Republic of Ireland) are "freedom fighters" fighting for "the freedom of Ireland".
Some members of my family were killed by the Provos. Others were tortured. I'd still say that it's a fair assessment of what they were trying to do. It's just their methods were ...misguided.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
dnnydllr said:
CATB320 said:
Assuming you are referring to Faramir from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you have been seriously misinformed. David Wenham has never worked on the show.

OT: You bring up many good points, and I have found myself disgusted sometimes while watching the show. However, as many have said, you are obviously not the target audience and this is not a show for you.
I swear he does! It says so on wikipedia :(
And Yahoo answers.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
If it's on Spike, you shouldn't expect the program to have any intellectual integrity.

Now, if this were a program on Discovery Channel, you may have a case.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I agree. If you are to watch the show, this is what it's good for. *guy who thinks he's an ancient warrior swings a stick at a dummy and it's head falls off* Host:Duuuude! Doctor: Yeah you can see here his head fell off. Opponent: Yeah but a real Conquistador would have dodged it, he's the slickest dude in the world! Other guy: Nuh uhhh! Opponent: yuu huhhh!
You've now seen every episode.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Never watched it, everything about it sounds awful to me, if they pited real ninja and a real pirate in a battle to the death then i would watch it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This show had the french winning something (omg musketeers beat the chinese! BURN IN THE FLAMES OF RAGE INTERNET!) so stopped hassling the show for historical accuracy (the french failing at everything is a trope everyone loves to push so this was refreshing), the show might pretend it cares about that but it really doesnt.

I view the first 2/3rds of the show to be flame bait, they almost never get anything right (and when they do, its usually for the wrong reasons) and their experts usually do a great disservice to the teams they are (the experts are ALWAYS incredibly biased, the only exception was the russian spetnaz who let his actions speak louder then words, on 1 occasion failling a test because he took the time to reload and do all sorts of cool shit to avoid enemy shooting at him whilst the other guy just ran in guns blazing to have the fastest time. Russian side might have lost but he was a big credit to the spetnaz in that he was more professional and more awesome then the american guy by far. He didn't even insult the other side which is a rarity for this show)

The final part with the fight is the best bit, the fights are often nonsensical and silly but decently staged. As long as you understand this is pure fiction and none of the presenters know history to save their life it's possible to be entertained by this show and is good for a laugh with friends.

That said, the IRA episode really wasnt cool :\ The guy was a bit too gleeful in how he described the various painful types of bomb they would have (nailbomb) and the effects they would have amongst british soldiers who would often have been hours on end on dull guard duty before random car passes by and throws nailbomb at them causing horrific injuries for life.

Also about the vietnam vs ss episode: i LOVE how the vietcong are depicted as being more "evil" then the nazis on multiple occasions. At least that was the vibe i got.