Poll: Death Penalty

Feb 13, 2008
ObnoxiousTwat post=18.72690.769933 said:
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.72690.769925 said:
ObnoxiousTwat post=18.72690.769910 said:
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.72690.769883 said:
What does the death sentence actually achieve? Apart from more misery.
Vengeance, my dear boy, vengeance.
Funny, I thought that was the defence, not the prosecution.

And surely, if that's the case, most of our politicians should be serving them.
Name one person who would would be upset if all the politicians were gone.
Hehehe...fair point. I'll just repost my thoughts from the last thread though.

me said:
On the Death Penalty.

1) Someone will have to carry that guilt.
2) Someone will probably youtube it.
3) There's no chance for acquital afterwards.
4) It doesn't act as a deterrent.(See Texas)
5) Exactly what do you do with any dependants?
6) There are three main reasons that people kill; Passion, Cold Indifference and Assassination.
Passion can't be stopped, Indifference doesn't think it will be caught, Assassination doesn't care.

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
Nah, killing people is long, but if its a confirmed case i'm not against a little forehead branding on the more serious criminal offenders. Of course, justice is miscarried in the country I live in so for now i'd just like to see Prisons without Sky TV please.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
the death penalty serves no purpose. those who will commit crimes bad enough to warrant it usually have no more respect for their own lives than anyone elses. and where i agree that prison in england is no where near enough of a punishment with their tvs and demands of some of the high profile criminals, there is no instance in which we have the right to decide that another being no longer has the right to live.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I support the death penalty. If it's a very extreme case, and there's no doubt about whether or not the person did it, why wouldn't you want to take away that person's life? If someone raped, tortured, and killed like 20 people, you would let them live out their life in a prison? Sure that's a bit of an exaggeration. I don't think people should be killed for just one or maybe two murders, but for serial killers/rapists, people who are clearly mentally sick and have no morals and no hope to live anything like a normal life, why would you waste money and prison space to let them live out the rest of their lives?

And I might add that punishing people for crimes by killing them is perfectly natural. And also I do think it's ridiculous how people argue so much about which method is more humane than others. It's the 21st century, with all the chemicals we have we can't just knock someone unconcsious and stop their heart? In hospitals people are sedated all the time for surgeries and such, why can't prisons just do the same? And after they're unconcsious it doesn't really matter how they kill them. If they're not gonna feel it they could just let the victims or victims' family beat the shit out of the prisoner, though obviously things could be kept much simpler than that.

AmericanWarMachine

Sep 7, 2008
fix-the-spade post=18.72690.769355 said:
Very simple, no.

You can't take back an execution, which is all fine and dandy until you get the wrong person. How do you release someone who's dead?
can you pull up a percentage of accidental executions? Besides, most people who get the death penalties are the ones who go on multi-homicidal rampages.

joswie

Aug 23, 2008
Were the death penalty capable of preventing the crimes they apply to, then I would be all for it, but all the literature I have come across dictates that it does not, so there really is no point to it.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I haven't so far read a post in this thread that has even made me consider the death penalty, the problem with people is that nobody respects the sanctity of life,

Some argue it costs them money, so what's the exact price you put on a human life?

Some argue that they will reoffend, which is true but this could be changed with harsher punishments, re-education and rehabilitation, if not then they serve their sentence.

Some argue punishments are too lenient, then the law could be changed to extend punishments and make them more severe.

I see nothing that can't be changed, except if you give someone the death penalty, which is irreversible.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
scumofsociety post=18.72690.769643 said:
TheNecroswanson post=18.72690.769599 said:
Because there is no misery in prison. They're not in chains the rest of their lives. They actually live quite comfortably, with nice rooms, warm beds, three square meals a day, and free cable, on your dime.
Go back to victorian prisons.

Wake up at 5 am, out into the work room and start turning the wheel. Continue until bedtime. What does this wheel do? Nothing. It just turns. It serves no useful purpose other than to piss you off.

Or shoveling rocks. Take the rock pile from one side of the yard to the other. Then back again. Ad infinitum.
So...you want to turn all criminals into Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan? A few years of turning that big ole' wheel...and bam! Supercriminals!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Honestly I think the only people that should have an opinion on this subject are the victims of the murderers, rapists, and gangs/thugs.

Yami Blade

Sep 26, 2008
I do not agree with the death penalty however I beleive that Darkstone has a point but my opinion is formed by what a friend once said

"To kill someone makes you a murderer, to kill 10 people is to be a monster, but to kill the criminal is justice?"

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
darkstone post=18.72690.770143 said:
Honestly I think the only people that should have an opinion on this subject are the victims of the murderers, rapists, and gangs/thugs.
I disagree entirely. That way the death penalty would be motivated solely by blind vengeance. The law should serve to deter crime and injustice, not avenge it.

I'm against the death penalty

Tsuki Tanaka

Sep 3, 2008
I support the death penalty completely. So much so that I propose that all life sentences should merely be death penalty sentences.

Forget about the moral ethics BS.

In the long run, forcing people to sit in a prison cell for years and years until they die puts a drain on the economy, and forces taxpayers' dollars to be wasted on people who will not contribute positively back in to the society, instead of wisely being used on other things. By wasting valuable resources on these people, we condemn others to die of starvation and/or poverty.

These people have had their chances, and they've blown them.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Graustein post=18.72690.770680 said:
darkstone post=18.72690.770143 said:
I disagree entirely. That way the death penalty would be motivated solely by blind vengeance. The law should serve to deter crime and injustice, not avenge it.

I'm against the death penalty
you misunderstood my meaning I'm not saying they should choose how it works, I think they are the only ones with a voice on the subject, unless you had a family member die at someone elses hand I doubt you'd know the emotional anguish knowing that the killer is sitting comfortably in prison for the rest of his life.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Don't know hounestly. To choose wether a man dies based on his own actions seems a little barbaric, though if anyone I loved was raped or killed by someone, I'd go kill them myself.

It's something I can't truely argue for or against. There are a lot of sick puppies in the world that need to be put down, though then I couldn't imagine having a man's fate in my hands.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Support it? Man, I love the death penalty! Nothing makes me happier than to see criminals get permabanned from society. It's much cheaper than a life sentence and fixes any problem with prison overcrowding. Could you imagine how much money we could save if we just took every lifer out of their cell, marched them out, and had them shot? All you'd have to worry about is the burial, and frankly, you'd have to worry about that eventually too. So yes, I support the death penalty and oppose the idea of a life sentence. I hate seeing people be a burden on the state, and nothing gets me RAGE'd up more than seeing sociopaths use taxpayer money to get by while they contribute next to nothing. I say we take the money used to care for them and throw it into the community. You eliminate the socially unfit and you help prevent more from joining their ranks. It's a win-win.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Tsuki Tanaka post=18.72690.770693 said:
I support the death penalty completely. So much so that I propose that all life sentences should merely be death penalty sentences.

Forget about the moral ethics BS.

In the long run, forcing people to sit in a prison cell for years and years until they die puts a drain on the economy, and forces taxpayers' dollars to be wasted on people who will not contribute positively back in to the society, instead of wisely being used on other things. By wasting valuable resources on these people, we condemn others to die of starvation and/or poverty.

These people have had their chances, and they've blown them.
A typically naive view on the matter.

One can argue whether it is right or wrong to kill people who have committed crimes.

One cannot argue whether it is right or wrong to kill people who are innocent of crimes.

The law isn't perfect. People make mistakes. Justice is blind.

If you support the death penalty, and the law kills an innocent person, then you support murder; now you are subject to the death penalty.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Grampy_bone post=18.72690.770719 said:
If you support the death penalty, and the law kills an innocent person, then you support murder; now you are subject to the death penalty.
By that logic, if I support the prison system, which may or may not be the imprisonment of an innocent person, then I support kidnapping, making me subject to going to prison. Yeah, that's not exactly how it works.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
John Galt post=18.72690.770718 said:
Nothing makes me happier than to see criminals get permabanned from society.
Quote of the day.

I agree about the cops and it sickens me when I see in the news that some rapist gets free gealth care before a que of much more needing patients.

I say, perhaps not to capital punishment, but why not bring back the old prisons. You know, the concrete walls where they're thrown in and forgoten about. But apparently, that's cruel. What a strange world we live in.

I'm good to sway either way with enough arguments presented to me.