Poll: Diablo 3: Will you buy it?

Sm0gg

Aug 20, 2009
yes, I don't like this MT trend & it's a shame Blizzard are doing this to Diablo3. I won't buy & I have been looking forward to this release.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Xzi said:
Not for leveling, for character advancement. At some point, your gear starts capping out and it's hard to stay out in the fields of hell for more than a second or two before dying, unless you have a bunch of rare/unique stuff. And it's not always possible to get all the right random drops for your character class. So if nobody is putting any of that rare/unique stuff on the gold auction house, your two options are either pay cash for character advancement or die a whole lot in the pursuit of getting the items you need to play the higher difficulty levels. Neither of those options is any fun, which kinda removes the game aspect from it.
you are making a lot of presumptions.
Look at the previous games - you did not need to trade to win. It meant you had to grind, but that is how the games worked. Why do you think Diablo 3 will be different?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
SixWingedAsura said:
No thanks. I refuse to play a game where I'm forced to play with people who can simply buy their way to victory just to increase the cash in the ever growing pool of money that Blizzard Employees are obviously swimming in.
It's Diablo. You aren't forced to play with anyone.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
If we accept this, soon all games will be on cloud and we won't own any games we buy! They already got away with selling us a license instead of the actual product. We need to stop this before it's too late.
You already own very, very, very few games that you buy. As you said you own a license to play it that can be revoked at any time for any reason. This includes retail games.

And don't be naive. Have you seen how much the internet has taken over just in the last few years? Everything will be on "the cloud" within your life time. You sound like an old man raging against the system because 8 track tapes are ridiculous because they make you buy all your music again. There was nothing wrong with record players!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I never liked the Diablo games. I was never going to buy it. I'm even more not going to buy it now.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Nope, no interest in it. The whole genre is just really boring and repetitive to me. At least in stuff like devil may cry or whatever there's combos and more freedom of movement, diablo and it's kin are, to me, just clickclickclickhotkeyclickclick.

Quextamon

May 21, 2010
I'm going to buy it. I loved the second one, and all the other Blizzard games I've played so far have been good (At least, to me), so I think this one should be too. Even if some of the things they have decided to put in the game (especially no off-line mode) may seem a step in the wrong direction, I feel the game will still be good enough to play.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm going to wait 6 months for the updates/patches/tweaks to be made before making a final decision.

I'm one of the people that will end up playing privately to play single player so I want to be sure it holds up well on it's own.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
None of Blizzard's recent decisions are going to impact my choice. If I want to buy it, I will buy it. I'm not sure if I will at the moment. I trust Blizzard, as I have for years.

Kurea

Dec 26, 2010
teebeeohh said:
no
blizzards needs a game to tank or at least do bad enough to make them stop and think.
and Diablo is my concession, i need love starcraft and need my wow-fix every once in a while (i usually pick up an expansion and go through the first tier of raids).
I can't agree with you more. Blizzard doesn't need *more* money. I'm gonna do what I always do and just wait for the reviews. If it turns out that the items available in the auction house have a noticeable affect on gameplay and not just on aesthetics, then Blizzard will have a broken game on their hands. I don't care how good or bad Diablo 3 ends up being, Blizzard already has a wildly popular MMORPG, they don't need to make another one.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
I'm pissed at the decisions big time. I don't think it's a step in the right direction. But Blizzard are an exceptional games company, not a single on of their product has been bad. With the Warcraft franchise still being the most popular MMORPG scene in the world. Starcraft taking everything by storm... again. And Diablo coming from behind to probably end up as a seriously solid, and good quality game.

Diablo is the underdog below Warcraft and Starcraft. But I expect Diablo to be brilliant, even a bit better than Starcraft maybe? I expect nothing less than brilliance from Blizzard, they've always delivered that before.
Diablo isn't far below those two. Blizzard just has magic fingers when it comes to shaping a genre. Diablo clones are rampant, WoW defines and owns the MMORPG scene and Starcraft was still popular up until the SC2 release. What's better, Blizzard has learned from its customers. Starcraft players used the game's mechanics to do things they never imagined, so in SC2 they included those strategies and play styles to better their new game. I can think of only a few other studios that actually do the same.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Fuck yeah I'm buying it. D2 was one of the defining games of my adolescence... it was my first "gaming addiction". I'm looking forward to D3 no matter what... even if it does come down to playing in a passworded server by myself. I can't say I am happy about the AH and such, but it's definitely not going to get in the way of my appreciation and love of the series, nor will it diminish how much I am looking forward to D3.

Oh yeah. I'm willing to bet RIGHT NOW that at least half, perhaps more, of those 54 (at the time of the writing of this post) people who say they are not going to buy D3 will own it within the first week. People can talk big before launch, but once all their friends starting having fun with the game, and they see all the cool videos and forum posts about how much fun it is, they'll cave. The gaming community is full of hot-headed people who have violent knee-jerk reactions to anything that doesn't move a game in a direction they want it to. I've seen some people call the gaming community "entitled" (I'm not one of them), and this fiasco definitely proves their point.

It's happened before, and it's happened again. That's what has happened with every attempted "game boycott": pattern recognition, friends.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Jimbo1212 said:
Xzi said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Woah woah woah.

How is selling items for real cash a bad idea when PLAYERS are the ones who sell it?
If you are good, then you could farm items and make real cash from it.
If you are bad, then 'pay to win' by lining a smart players pocket.

I think this has to be one of the best ideas ever for gaming.
It's bad if the end result is that nothing halfway decent ever ends up on the gold auction house. Then everybody is just playing with the mindset that they're out to screw everybody else with shameless cash-ins, and character advancement becomes only for the people with a lot of disposable income.
I doubt that blizzard will have made AH purchases vital for levelling. Also, if it is the same as the previous Diablos, then you can grind to your hearts content with re-spawns etc in dungeons.
Also, it is not Blizzards fault if all that happens is people sell things for cash - it is the gamer who buys the items fault. This has been the case for many years that too many gamers have put up with bad purchases (copious DLC, poor games, micro-transactions etc) and now these devs are just capitalising on gamers who have too much spare cash/no other expenditure.
There's a minimum deposit to prevent the AH from being flooded with trash. Your argument is invalid. Plus you can MAKE MONEY FOR PLAYING A VIDEO GAME. This is a dream come true if you decide to take it seriously. It's a stock market, but you get to kill hellspawns between meetings. Seriously, nerd heaven.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
The whining about these issues is incredible.

The majority of Diablo 2 players played on Battle.net, so there was a default 'always-on' internet requirement for most.
You can play by yourself online if you're desperate to play alone.
Auction Houses will exist, whether they are conveniently controlled by Blizzard or not.
It is not 'pay to win' because it is not a game you 'win' - it is an eternal grindfest.
I'm trying Diablo 2 mods (Median XL Omega, Eastern Sun 3.0), and while interesting, they are unbalanced.

Blizzard have earned our trust, I would think -_-
These guys know how to make games.

Now 'Heroes of Might and Magic 6' - there's a truly single-player game with absolutely no right to always-on DRM.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
yes i will buy it. don't care about the no modding, full time internet requirement or the real money auction house - although i am baffled as to why anyone would spend real money on imaginary items in a world of make believe.

so long as the game is fun, all that crap is incidental in my opinion.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
No, even if I had a computer that could run it I wouldn't get it. I don't like that I'd always have to be hooked up to the internet just to play single player, I honestly don't like the art style, the Auction House doesn't interest me, and I miss my Paladin from Diablo 2(maybe I should just get 2 again and play that).

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Levethian said:
The whining about these issues is incredible.

The majority of Diablo 2 players played on Battle.net, so there was a default 'always-on' internet requirement for most.
You can play by yourself online if you're desperate to play alone.
Auction Houses will exist, whether they are conveniently controlled by Blizzard or not.
It is not 'pay to win' because it is not a game you 'win' - it is an eternal grindfest.
I'm trying Diablo 2 mods (Median XL Omega, Eastern Sun 3.0), and while interesting, they are unbalanced.
Holy mother of god.... another human being that ACTUALLY GETS IT! I don't believe it! Another member of the minority who is willing to think straight through the controversy and emotions! Props good sir, props. I've said almost the exact same things in every D3 thread, yet everyone is too busy whining to actually GET those points. It's refreshing to see someone with a similar train of thought as myself.

I have problems with the AH and such, but you put it perfectly more or less: people are making a huge deal over this when they probably shouldn't.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
While i definately support the evolution of the series, the big changes and so called "features" they're adding have completely turned me off from it. I will not be buying this game out of principle, i really (and i mean REALLY) wanted to see the continuation of the series but they have managed to turn that excitement and happiness i first felt when they announced Diablo 3 into loathing and disappointment.

Especially the always-on DRM which they deny is DRM is a slap in the face for fans of the franchise which essentially was a single player game. The no modding i could live with, the real life auction house? meh, it doesn't interrest me in the slightest, i actually find it to be a massively cheap and transparent money grab scam.

I used to respect Blizzard but this latest development is quickly eroding my faith in the company. I was more than dissapointed when Starcraft 2 didn't have Lan, the campaign was an enjoyable experience but in hindsight i'd rather have spent my money on something else. Diablo 3 is an even greater affront to fans of Blizzard's franchises, i will not stand for this, as long as they continue this trend they will have lost me as a customer.

a disappointed fan.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Yes, I am. I've been excited for it for years, and I don't care about the constant connection. I don't travel that much any more, and use an iPad instead of a laptop now for when I do, and my ISP has been fairly good.