Poll: Did the UN Just Declare War on Libya?! Yes they did

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
They established a no fly zone so Gadaffi couldn't use air support and start killign thousands. The U.N should not interfer unless their is a larger risk of life involved. The world should let it run its course like Egypt and Tunisia , but they won't because of the oil.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Uh, duh the only reason is for oil. Nations never enter wars due to humanitarian efforts, because you're going to spend a shit ton of money and you likely won't get anything back for it. Think about it: why would nations intentionally weaken themselves so that another nation can grow stronger?

The answer is... they wouldn't! That is, unless there is something to be gained from the war; natural resources, land, political power, etc. So while nations may say they are going to war over humanitarianism, their main goal is acquisition of something from whatever country they declare war on. The humanitarian effort is solely a way to justify the war to citizens.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Stammer said:
Wait, the UN has an army? Oh crap, Command & Conquer is one step closer to coming true.

Does the army happen to have the name "Global Defense Initiative"?

Okay seriously I'm not making fun of this, especially since real war is always a scary thing. And this just seems off to me. I dunno how or why.
Yeah the UN does have an Army its called the United States Army. Screw the UN why the hell do we always go? Send france or someone else everytime i hear UN this the UN that, i think what is the US doing now? Seriously every other country in the UN sits on thier asses and say send the americans under our flag. Wtf the UN has no business sticking thier noses into a civil war in the first place.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Srdjan said:
If you want war with somebody you should accept being invader and bad and all, not hide behind some multilatteral organisation.

Libya didn't attacked anyone, didn't even threaten to, they were just resolving internal conflict, just like US did in civil war.

Those rebels were mostly criminals and foreign merceneries who lied to people about better life and money from west and pushed perfectly peaceful country into civil war.
technically if the south didn't lose New Orleans the British would have sided with them...

Anyway, eh, whatever. no one likes Gahdaffi, therefore they side with the rebels and actually DO something instead of just shaking their fist or shaking their finger at him.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Awww shit, im not so political, but i know this is bad... :/

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Pay attention people the UN have not "declared war" they have given the go ahead for UN members armed forces to set up a no-fly zone above the country.They have not given the go ahead to an invasion or full on attack on the country

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Frankster said:
I suppose one can see a noble cause in supporting the libyan rebels....

But don't go complain if afterwards they win with your help and end up putting people in power you don't like 10 years down the line.
Now that's just silly, who would ever do such a thi- what the hell is an "Iraq"?

OT: It's a no-fly zone, not a ground war. There is a difference.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Has anyone on this thread actually been following the events in the middle east beyond "what dave said down the pub"? Do any of you actually read the papers or watch the news?
The Rebels have been begging and pleading for a UN policed no-fly zone since DAY 1. It was the use of airstrikes on civilians that prompted this revolution, and that was after Gaddafi loyalists used AA batteries to hose down protesters in Benghazi. And for everyone who is jumping on the "BOO!!American Imperialism" bandwagon it was France and the United Kingdom which pushed for a no-fly zone, David Cameron suggested the idea weeks ago and was met with a swift dressing down from Hilary Clinton, in fact the entire political establishment in washington has been positively adamant that they didnt want a no-fly zone because inevitably it would be the US navy that would have to pick up most of the slack as we (U.K) dont have any aircraft carriers to send, and considering we just scrapped our entire Harrier fleet we wouldnt have any jets to launch off them if we did.
You cant compare this with Iraq, because the Iraqi people didnt ask for America to intervene in 2003, the only time they wanted help was after the first gulf war when they launched thier own (CIA backed) Revolution and the UN & US sat back and did nothing letting Saddam regain his grip on power and subsiquently murder thousands, setting the scene for the completely unnecessary and illegal conflict 20 years later which killed hundreds of thousands directly and indirectly.
Like cancer, early action is crucial. Gaddafi's regime will fall, in 1 week or one decade, better now than later as any delay will be paid for with the blood of the Libyan people.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Without the UN stepping in whoever wins this revolution will do unspeakably horrific things to the people on the other side.

Plus it feels good to finally take real action against Gadaffi despite the UK having to grit it's teeth and pretend we respect him for years since Lockerbie.
Pretty much this - for a government to be gunning its own people down for not agreeing with it is just wrong. Now, could we do this with Mugabe + Zimbabwe when you're done, please, UN dudes?

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
lizards said:
Srdjan said:
lizards said:
Srdjan said:
If you want war with somebody you should accept being invader and bad and all, not hide behind some multilatteral organisation.

Libya didn't attacked anyone, didn't even threaten to, they were just resolving internal conflict, just like US did in civil war.

Those rebels were mostly criminals and foreign merceneries who lied to people about better life and money from west and pushed perfectly peaceful country into civil war.
...your kidding? hahaha.......seriously?

you relize that even before civil war broke out the government began having jets strafe protestors right? or were the protestors merceneries and criminals who lied to?

i havent read up on what lead up to the un doing this but to the op you are confused that the US is not the UN and just because the UN declared war on libya doesnt mean the US did and what are you talking about obama for, if the UN declared war on libya what does that have to do with him?

as a internet comedian once said "you are projecting so hard that you could show off powerpoint presentations"

edit: maybe its because im tired but i guess i didnt catch the obvious blame it on obama politics so just ignore the most of that post because to most people its obvious anyway
Now I wanted to state an opinion and not to argue with anybody because I didn't came here to change anyones opionion and you sure as hell won't change mine, but you outdone other.

Projecting part would refer to you because I didn't mentioned Obama and I mentioned US only for illustrations and because most people are retards and that is only civil war they know.

You just fucked up yourself preety good, and I wish you good night

And bonus hint creator of topic mentioned Obama and US just for you to know who to attack next time.
you put an article up here, i called bullshit on it, just because you werent the one who wrote it doesnt mean that is exempted from discussion, you are the one who is responsible for it being here so i address you because i assume you agree with it

and if you are about to say what i think you are: it is not wrong for me to think you agree with that because unless a mental illness is involved usally people dont post things they dont agree with to draw attention to them, and lastly take a few steps down from your horse
I'll be straight with you, reason it mentioned Obama and the US is because the article is by an American. Do I agree with it, begrudgingly. The US will have to sent troops, its just a fact of it President Obama might not want to or like it but he will.
Its not a high horse, I don't see the reason for a war with Libya, its an internal struggle so thats where it belongs.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
The UN can't actually declare war, but whatever. Never let facts get in the way of your ... rethoric.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Xojins said:
Uh, duh the only reason is for oil. Nations never enter wars due to humanitarian efforts, because you're going to spend a shit ton of money and you likely won't get anything back for it. Think about it: why would nations intentionally weaken themselves so that another nation can grow stronger?

The answer is... they wouldn't! That is, unless there is something to be gained from the war; natural resources, land, political power, etc. So while nations may say they are going to war over humanitarianism, their main goal is acquisition of something from whatever country they declare war on. The humanitarian effort is solely a way to justify the war to citizens.
I dont remember there being any oil in Bosnia, or any resources at all for that matter....

nope, only GENOCIDE

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Plurralbles said:
Srdjan said:

technically if the south didn't lose New Orleans the British would have sided with them...

Anyway, eh, whatever. no one likes Gahdaffi, therefore they side with the rebels and actually DO something instead of just shaking their fist or shaking their finger at him.
Actually Abe Lincoln threatened to go to war if brittian didnt turn around and leave. As far as the civil war goes, the south were destined to loose as they didnt have the mass production of munitions, and shipyards the north had.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Im not really sure how I feel about this but I figure if the rebels were beginning to lose I think it was kinda necessary after all the shit-talking the entire world was doing to Gedaffi.

BoosterGold said:
Bek359 said:
Did they actually declare war, or just the no-fly zone? Because there is a difference, you see.
War was declared,
You missed an opportunity here:

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
War were declared.
I say go for it, Gaddafi is using Tanks and Bombs on unarmed protesters. Fuck him.

Aug 25, 2009
Gaddafi is a mad man and a murderer.

I might not fully endorse this, because I'd have to wait until it's over and there's someone new in power and see what the UN does then, but Gaddafi has to be removed. THat's my main view on this right now.

As to all the claims of oil etc, it probably is a concern. But then again, it's almost two birds with one stone. Remove Gaddafi and you not only remove a crazed dictator, but also keep the oil lines open, as opposed to leaving a madman in power to keep murdering people, and he stops sending us oil.

I know which I'd rather.

AshDesert

Mar 1, 2011
Ravek said:
The UN can't actually declare war, but whatever. Never let facts get in the way of your ... rethoric.
Eh, the US hasn't declared war since WWII, but that doesn't stop people from calling our conflicts "wars" because that's just what they are. That said, the UN hasn't declared war. They've set up a no-fly zone because Kaddafi is a murderous asshole who killed his own people who were protesting peacefully. Seriously, he hired foreign mercenaries to murder protestors, which was one of the things that incited the rebellion. He deserves a bullet in the brains.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Right, because domestic genocide is much better than international conflict.

It's a no-fly zone with a strict provision that at no point will boots be on the ground. The most that the international task-force is going to do is ground the Libyan air force, destroy anti-air instillations, and blunt any large-scale offensive operations initiated against Benghazi.

Once the air-force is grounded the rebels will be able to set up their heavy equipment and bring the fight back to the loyalists. As of right now, the intent of this UN resolution is to create an "equal killing field." Now, if that lunatic starts firing on international war ships he's opening the door to hell and jumping head-first through it on his own free will.

TL;DR: The UN didn't declare 'war' on Libya, they're giving potential genocide victims ground to stand on by protecting them.