Poll: Did you achieve what you wanted to at school?

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
I'm in my final year of school. I made it. The pressure is amping up now that I have entered the final half of the year, the final half a year of my entire schooling life. I'm determined to do well, I always have done well. But the stress is piling up now and the work load is getting particularly hefty.

I'm rambling a bit here.

What I wanted to ask those of you who have completed their education is simple. When you finished school, did you deem your schooling and your results a success? Or did you feel like you underachieved. Did this have an impact on the rest of your life?

I'm just curious, I don't want to screw this up because my ambitions rely on achieving right now.

(As an addition, how did you cope with your final year and after you finished?)

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Well as a 6th form drop out i guess i didn't really achieve my goals but at that age i didn't know what i wanted to do ^^ just wanted to have fun.

I managed to get by in school with good grades and doing no homework and relativley little course work and sailed through GCSE's my short comings in 6th form probably stemmed from the fact i never really went to lessons and decided i would go fishing with some mates on some of my exam days... man that was an awesome trip ^^.

Am i sad i fucked up my school education? and i didn't go to uni? nope. Self taught myself everything i know, worked my way up through various small IT companys started working for free just to get experience.

Funny thing is we got 2 computer science degree students in my team. One with a first from a respected uni and their technical knowlege is on par with mine as is the pay. Go figure xD

I am by no means encouraging people to follow my path... it was fucking hard and real shitty at times but i'm kinda happy where i am.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Fuck yeah! I passed high school without having to repeat a grade.

It doesn't sound like much, but if only you knew how lazy I was. Oh, and I finished 9-12th grade with Bs all around. Fuck yeah, laziness for the win.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Yeah I think I did pretty good.

I don't regret anything I did (or didn't do), if I were given the option of going back, I probably wouldn't change a thing.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Going to school gave me more connections that I thought I would. My resume was full before I even graduated. I would say it went above and beyond my expectations.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I didn't have much motivation in high school so despite me being one of the smartest in my grade. I had a terrible GPA and never did my homework. I took summer school twice and barely passed with enough credits. Though in the long term it doesn't matter as long as I have my degree, I still feel like a douchebag slacker.

Sucks being a nerd sometimes.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I didn't really have any expectations. School is just something that happened to me. I wound up with shitty grades because I simply didn't care about my future and thus didn't hand in all my assignments. I still got into the course I wanted at uni. Now I'm failing it because I haven't been handing in my assignments... I'm sensing a pattern here.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much what I expected, well I got 5 C's which I was relief that I got most of the main three subjects at that grade. Well ok English was an D but at least English literature and Speaking & Listening were a C. Art was an B which I'm was a pro at that subject so it didn't suprise me and the rest (D&T and French) were D and E.
My parent on the other hand were not pleae with the result (who give a damn, I revive my mind off to get at least an C which I got).

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
Nope because my school was a shambles. (surprise surprise the UK education system). When i was there everyone was like GCSEs GOTTA GET THEM ALLL PWOOOOOOR!!!!!!!!

Momment i left. "Sorry bro we want experience"

I felt cheated.
Most of the qualifications which actually mean anything in reality nowadays i got through additional training and doing courses in my free time. One being resiting my English GCSE (only got a D in school) came out with B+ higher paper after resit.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
In the sense of what my final grades ended up being, I'd say I achieved slightly below what I expected. Mostly because I completely fucked up my Norwegian exam and got a 2 (out of 6, where a 1 is an F).

In the more abstract sense that your title seems to imply: No, I don't think I achieved what I wanted at school.
Mostly because I didn't want anything. I never have, and I still don't.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Yep.

I was drinking and hanging round with the wrong crowd during my school years. On the days I actually bothered turning up to school I rarely did any work.

Fortunately I got into the army.

Got a job in a gym when I left the army and now i'm a self employed personal trainer earning quite a tidy sum.

I got to enjoy my younger years and still get a high paid job with 0 qualifications to my name.

Technically a lie, I did do courses while I was in the army. I have catering qualifications (for some reason I wanted to be a chef but i'm too "active" for it. I needed something more physically demanding). We had time in between postings and I like food so it seemed like a good course to do.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I'm one of those 'never used full potential' people, I got by doing the bare minimum simply because I could and it was effort doing the higher stuff even though I knew it.

Granted I regret it but to be honest I doubt it would have had very much effect either way, it's just a letter or a score and I don't believe it would have helped me get a job any-more that what I ended up with.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
eh....not really

at aroudn year 10 (goes up to 12) I did badly in my exams and was "encouraged" to go into the "alternitave route" which was based on work experience and all that...which when you think about it isnt such a bad thing..though I was rather bitter about that for a long time after

its all good now though

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Yeah, I left.

That's the only goal I ever had. Leave school.

Now I regret it because I don't want to get a job. Ever.

...Some would say my motivation is... lacking.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I achieved what I expected but not what I wanted. My school years were a mess and so I didn't do work or turn up for exams, and now my options are very limited because of it.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Depends. If we're talking about everything up to high school, then my goal was to just power through that complete waste of time with as little effort as possible. In that case, yes, I achieved my goal :D

Otherwise if we're talking about all of our education, including college, I can't comment yet as I'm only halfway through college. However, these first two semesters at college were a lot more valuable to me than all my years in school up to them.