Poll: Did you enjoy Dishonored?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Skylare said:
Hello,

So i recently purchased Dishonored on Amazon for $30 new(should be getting it on Thursday). I have heard great things about it, but i want to know what this community thinks about it!
Im in the same boat as I just received it as a gift, how far in are you? I think I'm about to do the last level. Im really enjoying it but a few things are grating on me.

The render unconcious thing just wrecks disbelief for me. Has anyone ever choked someone until they blacked out? I have and they stay out for minutes at best, any more than this and youve probabably killed them or given them brain damage. In this i can leave them out cold in a skip and theyll stay there for 30 minutes while I finish the level. As a game mechanic it wrecks the "truthiness" of the game for me. Thats why Im killing everyone, even though it will probably wreck the ending.

I find blink a bit "wooly" as far as whether I will grab of land on a ledge. It makes using it a pain in the arse. Im playing the 360 version and I find the assassinate a bit hit and miss whether I can grab someone from behind.

I dont think the sword fightings great either, (hold block, cut the guy, repeat) but I think its more a limitation of it being a first person game than anything else. Its also no worse than asscreeds waiting to be attacked method of dueling.

some of the audio winds me up as well. The way he says nothing all game wrecks the immersion for me, every time theres a "conversation" its a reminder that its just a game. Equally the way it feels like Victorian London but there are so many Americans in the city doesnt sit right.

It may sound like I hate the game but these are little things in an otherwise excellent game. I like how grim the game feels, I wish theyd have fixed a voice actor for the protagonist and fix the nonlethal take down.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
It was pretty good, when I went on a rampage, with powers and shit. Then I tried stealth and it was boring in comparison. Finished the game only once.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
yes, actually I enjoyed it enough to get every achievement in it, which is something I rarely ever do.

It has a fair share of problems on the writing side of it, and I felt it was far too easy...

However it does something very few stealth games do well, it makes fucking up fun. Usually if you screw up in a stealth game (in anything from Thief to Metal Gear) you kinda just give up and either die or load a save. Dishonored made it fun to escape or to fight back if I got caught.

It's also very accessible, I love me some thief, but I wont lie, those games are a nightmare to really get into... However after about 10 minutes of the first real mission I really felt like I was in control and knew exactly what my characters limitations were, I never had to think about whether or not I could do something (like running jump + blink), or whether I would be seen or not... it made the trial and error aspect of most stealth games almost non-existent.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I loved it, especially blinking around the place and the risk/reward aspect of the non-lethal takedowns.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
Excellent game, but really really short, unless you're a completionist who likes to spend hours exploring every inch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I really enjoyed it. It felt like the true thief 3, much more so then "Thief: Deadly Shadows". All it needed was a cynical, snarky voice-over.

I will also say that it's hard for me to dislike any game that takes place in a steam/dieselpunk fantastical version of Victorian London, so take that into account.

Skylare

Dec 29, 2011
bjj hero said:
Skylare said:
Hello,

So i recently purchased Dishonored on Amazon for $30 new(should be getting it on Thursday). I have heard great things about it, but i want to know what this community thinks about it!
Im in the same boat as I just received it as a gift, how far in are you?
Still have not started, trying to get as much as i can out of Batman Arkham City.

Thanks everyone for your posts I'm sure when i get to the game i will realy enjoy it! :)

ps: sorry for the late reply busy in rl then my net went down for a couple days.