Poll: Did you know there was a new 3DS?

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
I knew.
I rolled my eyes at the name.
I havent got one yet as there are not enough N3DS only titles for me to switch from my 3DSXL.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Mutant1988 said:
I knew there were plans for it, but didn't know it was out. Incredibly stupid name for it.

Did you buy a new 3DS or a new new 3DS? Not to mention how stupid it will sound a few years down the line.

"Yeah, bro. Did some retro gaming with my new 3DS."

Anyway, I'm mostly completely indifferent to the 3DS. Why? It doesn't have dual analog sticks. I don't want a portable that sacrifice camera control in action games for stupid touch screen gimmicks.
the new one has the c-stick nub, which controls the camera pretty well. It's not gonna be good for FPS style camera control, but general camera rotation works just fine (I've only really tested it with Majora's Mask though, so I can't speak for many other titles)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I didn't know there was such a big issue with the New in the name... I guess Apple and Marvel got me used to it :/

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'd only heard of it on April 1st, when Edmund McMillen said that there'd be a Rebirth release for the new 3DS. Then his April Fool's joke post consisted of how to censor the game to Nintendo.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Nintendo has evidently released a new version of their 3DS called...New 3DS (must have taken them ages to come up with that name).

The New 3DS has a goofy little nubby (the C Stick; similar to the C stick on the Gamecube if anyone remembers that thing except smaller), Amiibo support, and a more powerful CPU. It will also have games that take advantage of this as well as games that will be exclusive to the New 3DS (so your old 3DS will not be able to play them period like "Xenoblade Chronicles 3D")

EDIT: People in the thread have also commented that the 3D works MUCH better (as in, it actually works this time). I wanted to put that in here if this is the first you're hearing of this device like me

What baffles me is that I had zero clue this thing even existed, let alone was out and ready for purchase. I almost bought Xenoblade Chronicles until a random comment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.873682-So-my-3DS-XL-just-died-on-me#21933677] in a thread clued me into the New 3DS existing and that the game would be no use on my 3DS.

So I'm curious; am I the only one (cue Critical Miss "you're never the only one" image) that didn't know this thing existed and was out? Am I paying that little attention or is there no buzz or information about this thing whatsoever?
It's been out since like January or February, right?

Why did you think so many people were freakin' out about special edition New 3DS shortages?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ieyke said:
Why did you think so many people were freakin' out about special edition New 3DS shortages?
I assumed because it was a special edition thing, not because it was a new handheld...

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
thanatos388 said:
kilenem said:
Was the OP not aware of the New 3DS because it pretty much sold out Day out day one. Also people were bitching about the missing charger and the Limited Supply of Majora's Mask Limited edition. I understood the low supply of MM special edition's since you can still buy the Link between world's 3DS XL new at msrp. Nintendo can go screw them selves for including the charger. I don't want to hear most people already owned the charger. Gamestop sold out of preorders because they gave you a 100 dollar trade in credit for trading in the Xl and that required you to give up the charger.
Pre-Ordering those Majoras Mask 3DS' was a gamble anyway. A bunch of shops let too many people pre-order relative to how many Nintendo sent them and then about 1/4 of them had a bunch of dead pixels on the screen(s) forcing people to turn them in for vanilla versions. How can Nintendo fuck up so much so consistently? Its kinda out of character. Selling too little of faulty hardware? These people used to be untouchable leaders in the industry.
Quality of the product was totally Nintendo's fault but I don't think you can Blame them for the stock. I don't think Nintendo could've predict Gamestop selling out of their stock of MM New 3DS before their stores opening on the West Coast. That was only because of a Nintendo Direct. The only announcement prior was a leaked Nintendo direct flyer. I got to gamestop 10 minutes after they open and I was the 4th person to preorder a New 3DS. The crazy thing is if you bought the MM NEW3ds you had to pay in full.