Poll: Did your parents care what games you played?

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
My dad was very against me getting my first game that was rated T. After that though, he had the weirdest change of heart (just completely unexplained, like I never had to talk to him about ratings or just, anything game related) and never questioned a games rating. It was strange but I was fine with it. It's not like I abused this to just buy every M game out there, but it kept my options all open so I could make more casual decisions.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
My mum has always said that she knows how mature I have always been. She also thinks the very same way as me, yes video games and films as well can be violent but I and her believe that if violent games and films make you violent you most likely have previous problems. My mum knows that I am very mature, I'm over 18 now, and she is fine with me buying mature video games whatever age I was.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Yes, my mom cared. I wasn't allowed to play FPS's until I was 15. But that was more or less it too. Didn't really mind, since there are tons of other great game-genres out there too.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Gore, blood, violence, mild language, my parents let me play those. The only thing I couldn't play were games with sexual content, games where someone drops the F bomb every sentence, or games where you're rewarded for "bad" things. Considering the time of my childhood, it pretty much meant "No GTA for you."
I remember playing Quake 3 with my dad. We had such a blast with that together.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No,my mom doesn't care one bit about what games I used to play back when I was a minor.

She has a rather "old school" mentality,so "games are evil" is everything she says most of the times.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Not really. When I was younger, sure I wasn't allowed to play certain types of games. (Younger meaning below the age of 10)

But once I reached around 10 or 11 I wasn't really given a restriction on what I could play. Granted, it was 1998-1999 at the time so it wasn't as if I was playing things like Prototype.

That's not to say my parents were irresponsible, they made it incredibly clear that video games are not real and a lot of the things that take place should not be acted out in a real world environment. Yet I was a wuss of a child back then so the worst thing I was playing was Soul Reaver. >_>

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I remember watching Basic Instinct with my parents when it hit VHS. After the movie was over I retreated back to my corner and played Diablo for a couple hours.

Yeah, they didn't care much about what methods I used to entertain myself as long as it didn't wind up costing them a bunch of money. Hell, I learned basic colors and numbers by playing Uno and Parcheesi.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Not really, my mother bought me King's Quest 7 (I think it was called, some point and click adventure game not too dissimilar from a visual novel) and C&C: Red Alert when I was 10, and otherwise trusted that I would take things at my own pace from there.

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
The only game that I was ever restricted in buying was GTA 3. The reasoning given by my father was that it encouraged game players to kill cops. Since my father was a retired police officer, he took great offense to it. He refused to let me have the game even if it was purchased with my own money. Eventually, I did get it though.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i think the last time my dad saw what i was playing was back in 2006. i think he likes to pretend that i dont play video games and spends my time in the basement getting a life or something.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
My parents were kinda strict when i was younger but now that i think about it, one of my erliest memories is my grandpa teaching me to play DOOM 1... they probebly didnt like that