Poll: Direct X 11 or PhysX?

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
I am about to buy a brand new Pc. I can only afford the Ati 5850 or the Nvidia GTX275.

One is Direct X 11, the other is PhysX.

Having seen the recent Batman as well as Borderlands etc. PhysX makes a noticeable difference while Direct X 11 probably wont be used for a while still.

Seeing as I plan to upgrade in three years again, which is the better choice? (Both cards should be more than enough to game at my preferred 1280x1024 resolution so its not a question of power or output.)

Help?

P.S.
Mods, I didn't know where to put this thread, sorry.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Which ever one you can afford.

Nvidia is releasing DX11 cards soon, but most games don't use PhysX or DX11, so it doesn't really matter. If you can afford the more powerful card, do so, but if you want to make use of it, you need to play in a higher resolution or buy a higer-rez monitor.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
wait for nVidia DX11? Im sure they would be looking to undercut ATI with value for money and then you can have both PhysX and DX11. If not I would say DX11 card

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Base your decision on something else. DX11 isn't going to be in proper use for a few more years at least, and PhysX serves no other purpose than to lower the performance of pretty much any game that has it for no apparent gain. As such, I have it turned off by default in my Control Pannel.

Personally, I tend to go for NVIDIA cards since they seem to have better overall compatibility and I usually see more ATI threads in tech support forums, but this is mostly just a subjective oppinion.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
Both cards are overkill for your resolution.

Anyway go for the 5850, it preforms better then the 275, and still doesn't cost to much.