Poll: Disconnecting your USB device

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I always safely remove device. If it says that it cannot do it, I keep trying (because my USB isn't transferring data at the time) and if it still won't let me, I just pull mu USB out of the computer.

Jul 9, 2008
Oddly, I only do "safely remove" with my iPod (i.e, the only device I have where it specifically tells you it's okay to just pull it out), since I see the button to press right there on iTunes, so it's just sort of a habit.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
to avoid the inevitable "thats what she said", im going to say

that when My USB device is finished transferring files, i do not hit the "Safely remove hardware" button, i do however, take My flash drive, and apply force to it in such a way as to disengage it from the computer

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
Sassafrass said:
I just pull it out.
Can't be bothered to safely disconnect my device.

[sup]The chance for innuendo is huge here. Please say I'm not the only one that has noticed this.[/sup]
[sup]I noticed too, don't worry mate.[/sup]

HAR-HAR! Lemonade! No innuendo to see here! Move along!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I always make an effort to use the Safely Eject [device] function, though if it's not my USB stick, I don't care so much. Usually when XP tells you it can't stop the device, it's because you have a program open that's looking at it (a media player, explorer, etc).

Since it usually takes all of a second to click on the icon and pick my storage device, and since if I have a storage device connected it's probably because I'm backing up files onto it, it's really not worth the possible data corruption to save that second.

Stabber1010

May 3, 2009
I use the pull out method.

Edit: And vista doesn't care if you safely remove it or not. My mouse goes on fringe every now and then, it doesn't even make a ba-doop noise when I yank out the mouse USB cable.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option.
Have done so since some data got corrupted by me just pulling the memory sticks out of the USB port >.>
Unless I forget, of course. Have done so once so far.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Always pull it out when it's done. Never gave me any trouble.
Sassafrass said:
[sup]Please say I'm not the only one that has noticed this.[/sup]
Boy it was the first thing I thought of when I read the topic title. You never walk alone.

It can always be worse, below this writing box is the headline "Sony: Big Titles Coming to PSP This Year" and the first thing I read was "Big titties Coming to PSP This Year"

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I just pull it out as soon as it's done transferring. I've probably never used the "Safely Remove Hardware" option.

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
yank works when im in a hurry, safely remove when im not in a hurry, ive never had trouble with either so meh to you Microsoft

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Every time you pull it out without using "safely remove hardware" there is a 1% chance that all data is deleted. Trust me I'm a doctor.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Ive never safetly removed hardware, too lazy.

Apart from when i had to use an Apple Mac in school, it just seemed to break if you didnt do it.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
if its a memory stick, I just pull it out when its done. However i do use the disconnect thing on itunes for my iPod

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I started using The Safely Remove hardware option recently since I bought my player last year.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
In Win 98 you had to use the feature to safely remove.
But in Vista and 7 not at all.
Just yank that baby!