Poll: Divinity: Original Sin or Wasteland 2

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm fairly torn between which of these two games I'd enjoy more. They both seem to be a really immersive, heavy story, compelling and overall 'them feels, man' type games. But both seem to be nightmarishly long games, and no way in hell I can play both, especially with a hope for Dragon Age: Inquisition on Xmas. So the ultimate question arises: Fantasy daemon slaying vs. gritty bandit killing. Orcs vs. raiders. Sword vs. rifles. Health potion vs. Medkit. Zombies vs. radiation zombies.

I loved the Fallout series(New Vegas especially. Clocked in just over 300hrs) and love the whole post apocalyptic mad max feel. But then again, I enjoy fantasy games as much as the next fellow. Swords, wenches and skeleton archers? What's not to enjoy?! The general consensus, as far as I can tell on the Steam forums, seems to be D:OS has better/more enjoyable combat and a lighter, campier story, but less customization. W2, on the other hand, has way more replayability(which I'm not convinced is a selling point given how looooooooooooong this game is) and choices, while having a bit darker themes overall, including hugely unintentional consequences(Highpool or AG center, anyone?!)

D:OS seems to be a more polished game since it's been out longer, and it's prettier, but W2 has the old-school look to it and they're working on patches. D:OS has multiplayer, but I can straight up say I'll never play that. Hate muliplayer if the other person isn't in the room.

Just looking for a little input. Opinions, objections, or alternative games?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Silentpony said:
They both seem to be a really immersive, heavy story, compelling and overall 'them feels, man' type games.
Where the hell did you get that idea?

Basically, you've got a choice between a game with a dull, bloated story but solid mechanics and a game with a dull, bloated story and shit mechanics.

The former being Divinity and the latter being Wasteland.

Oh, and Divinity is pretty buggy.

I can't imagine how you were given the impression of them being "feels" games. I mean, sure, it's all subjective and no doubt someone out there is hailing them as life changing narrative experiences, but it's like hearing someone describe Twisted Metal or Doom as being all about "them feels".

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I was a little lukewarm about D:OS at first. But then I started playing with a friend. The game absolutely shines in co-op. If you can get a friend to play with you, do so. You won't regret it. It speeds things up and lowers some of the tedium of running around for the talky quests. Haven't played Wasteland yet, though I do have it.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
If your going to go with one of these, go with the Divinity. The only reason I stuck more time into Wasteland 2 is I found the setting to be better but Divinity at lease somewhat functional. Nothing is worse than trying to play a game and have to fight with the engine just to play it.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
Both i say.
Played both and they are very good.

D:OS is your typical Fantasy RPG but with great writing and very interesting mechanics and the fact that the great RPGcodex likes it it a major +++++

Wasteland 2 is another example of how the writing should be done in a story driven RPG and good gameplay to boost.
This is also have the seal of approval of the Codex.

You can't go wrong with any of them....but if you want a shorter game go with D:OS because it doesn't tend to fuck you up like wasteland 2 "remember the giant frog?"

so yah D:OS is actually the best RPG of this year.
"regardless of any 5/5 reviews written by someone with bad taste in games might say".

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Silentpony said:
I'm fairly torn between which of these two games I'd enjoy more. They both seem to be a really immersive, heavy story, compelling and overall 'them feels, man' type games.
The Divinity series is literally a series of comedy RPGs.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Divinity: Original Sin is an actual completed game where as Wasteland 2 is still far more of an early access thing.
So I say start with D:OS and by the time you finish it W2 might be enjoyable, I really can't stress enough how painful it is to play at the moment.

Mechanically they are both very old school, but Divinity got the better end of that deal where they kept depth and even went further with it (they got the best elemental interaction system of any game out there) while also managing to remove most of the clunk that came with old games.
Wasteland 2 however just kept all the clunk, they don't give a shit about shortcuts and automation, you will be going through everything the longest way possible to get it done... and then realize some shit doesn't even work yet. But Wasteland will have the longer running playtime for sure.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Neither is very good? Well, at least Divinity is kinda fun to play around with, but both are somewhat of a letdown. Granted, Wasteland 2 is pretty much a total letdown, so I suppose I answered the question...

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
If I did a list of my favourite games of all time, it would heavily feature RPGs - Dragon Age, Witcher, NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, probably some others that I'm forgetting right now.

I quit Divinity Original Sin before half way. Judge that as you will.

Wasteland 2 is on my to play list, but I'm waiting until I've done DA3 and Witcher 3 because of lack of free time.

Sep 14, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'm fairly torn between which of these two games I'd enjoy more. They both seem to be a really immersive, heavy story, compelling and overall 'them feels, man' type games. But both seem to be nightmarishly long games, and no way in hell I can play both, especially with a hope for Dragon Age: Inquisition on Xmas. So the ultimate question arises: Fantasy daemon slaying vs. gritty bandit killing. Orcs vs. raiders. Sword vs. rifles. Health potion vs. Medkit. Zombies vs. radiation zombies.

I loved the Fallout series(New Vegas especially. Clocked in just over 300hrs) and love the whole post apocalyptic mad max feel. But then again, I enjoy fantasy games as much as the next fellow. Swords, wenches and skeleton archers? What's not to enjoy?! The general consensus, as far as I can tell on the Steam forums, seems to be D:OS has better/more enjoyable combat and a lighter, campier story, but less customization. W2, on the other hand, has way more replayability(which I'm not convinced is a selling point given how looooooooooooong this game is) and choices, while having a bit darker themes overall, including hugely unintentional consequences(Highpool or AG center, anyone?!)

D:OS seems to be a more polished game since it's been out longer, and it's prettier, but W2 has the old-school look to it and they're working on patches. D:OS has multiplayer, but I can straight up say I'll never play that. Hate muliplayer if the other person isn't in the room.

Just looking for a little input. Opinions, objections, or alternative games?
well to be honest, both stories aren't something that I'll remember the games by (Now I haven't exactly finished divinity, but I am basically at the end) but they definitely get their atmospheres right and the gameplay is definitely old school with a modern feel to it.

If you prefer the wasteland type setting, then I would go with that, otherwise I personally think divinity has a more polished game and the gameplay is more solid as well. Both stories have their strong points, but divinity rubs me the right way just a bit more which is why I'm suggesting it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Only played Divinity but it's kind of blegh. Sale game at most. Combat is fine but incredibly repetitive, and the writing is just plain ol' bad. Feels like the writing team got a book big with "FANTASY" at the top and tried to fit everything in while the programmers occasionally jumped in to say "hey make that NPC say this thing it'll be hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious" (it isn't.)
Haven't played Wasteland 2 but it also doesn't seem great.

Dissentient

Aug 19, 2011
Am I the only one who doesn't like turn-based games because combat is waaay to slow because of all those unskippable animations?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
Basically, you've got a choice between a game with a dull, bloated story but solid mechanics and a game with a dull, bloated story and shit mechanics.

The former being Divinity and the latter being Wasteland.
This is so perfectly on point I can't think of anything to add to it. I might upgrade Divinity's mechanics from "solid" to "really quite good", but Zhukov is absolutely correct. They both have shit stories. Wasteland gets some extra points for being post apocalypse, which I have a soft spot before, but it's really quite terrible.

So Divinity by a mile, because there's actually a reason to play it. Wasteland 2 isn't a very good game.

Condiments7

Nov 19, 2014
Depends what you're looking for. Neither game really has story as their driving force so if you're looking for that you might as well play Dragon Age.

Divinity Original Sin has some of the best RPG combat released in over a decade. If you enjoy this kind of stuff you'll get constant hours of fun out of it despite some hiccups, especially if you're playing co-op. Story is pretty bog-standard but its not in your face so you're free to run around and kill/explore things at your leisure. There are some REALLY good fights in this game, but there is also a bit too much filler combat. Its less noticeable if you play with a partner, but they could have cut out a decent amount of encounters and the game wouldn't have suffered. Also, if you know where to poke the game, its easy to break so don't worry too much about power-gaming. Just sit back and enjoy.

Wasteland 2 is definitely a more mixed experience and kind of a slow burn. It takes about 15-20 hours to get going, but once it does its hard to put down. I didn't enjoy the game as much as divinity but I'd recommend it down the line if it goes on sale.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh gawd, don't remind me!
I have both Wishlisted and have held off on purchasing them for months; and it still feels like Solomon trying to split the baby.

Condiments7

Nov 19, 2014
Zannah said:
Can there be a"neither, go get a decent rpg instead" option?
"Decent" rpgs are hard to come by in this day and age. These two games bring back "old school" days of what many consider the golden age of computer RPGs. If you're into that sort of stuff then its great, but its not for everyone.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Divinity - Original Sin:
Is a more enjoyable game, but it is a LOT shorter than WL2.
It's probably the best of the series.

Wasteland 2:
I'm, mixed, on this game it tries a bit too hard to be 'old school'.
Call me a 'filthy casuals', but I LIKE not accidentally dropping/selling MANDATORY quest items.
Plus, maybe it's just me, but the game is BEYOND buggy.

Sure, so was D:OS when it first came out, but they patched that game rather quickly.

Apr 5, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed my playthru of D:OS. A solid 120 hours to complete (albeit with some reloading). I enjoyed the story, the humour, loved the nods to prior games/lore. The characters were fun, the combat challenging (at least until the teens, then the difficulty curve flattens out then dips) and I'm looking forward to a second (hopefully coop) playthru with a different character build.

Wasteland 2 on the other hand, I've found to be quite boring. The game can't decide if its identity is a western, military, FO3-style post-apocalypse. The party based combat is quite boring and the skills are ludicrous. You have TWO different skills to unlock different KINDS of safes. There are THREE different skills for , detecting traps, disarming traps and disarming alarms. Unlocking a safe is different skill from unlocking a door. There are TWO different skills for medical items. There are three conversation skills that are so situational (eg. only ONE is (rarely) possible on a given NPC, and the chances are it requires a higher level than you'll have when you encounter them.). I cannot express any better just how stupid the skill system is.

There are a lot of issues with balance too. Melee is so weak, the cost or using skills/moving in combat is not quite right. There are so many negative factors which influence combat that it's not even funny. Reasons why you can't shoot an enemy could include: You have 3 action points left and need 4 to fire. You are out of ammo and have to waste an entire turn reloading. You fire and your gun *fucking* jams. You don't have enough APs left to unjam it so turn is wasted. Next turn you unjam it but have no more APs to fire it. On the rare event that you manage to fire your bullet, you have a high chance of missing your target completely.

Thus you could have an entire team with an enemy in close proximity and it takes several turns to kill him since combat is almost entirely spent unjamming and reloading guns and missing. On top of that there's a good chance that any given character might act for themselves and do whatever they feel like, including wasting ammo, running out of cover into a crossfire, etc. Whoever designed the combat mechanics needs to take some game design lessons.

I cannot in good conscience recommend WL2. I gave up on it shortly after arriving at some rail-way worker/red indian camp where they worshipped a golden train spike. The dialogue went on forever and was tedious. NPCs just waffle on with the vaguest nonsense that gives no actual information. It's well made and I'll prob try picking up where I left off at some point but it felt more like a hassle to play, a chore. It might be more enoyable with some cheats/mods to elminate the games various frustrations. Saying that, D:OS was a pleasure, very enjoyable and overall a much better game.

Get D:OS. It's a fantastic, old-school party based RPG with challenging, strategic, turn-based combat set in a great, rich world. Highly recommended.