Poll: Do people spelling in Internet slang (or 'Textese') bother you?

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
I voted other, because it doesn't really bother me, unless it's really bad to the point where I can't understand it or it just looks stupid. However, I have never and will never do it myself. Besides the occasional, "lol".

mega48man said:
lol, tu-che
touché* =p

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't like it in forums but if that's just how the forum is I'm not going to be upset. It bothers me in e-mails but I don't know many people who would send out e-mails that unprofessional so its not a problem.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
It can get on my nerves, but my english skills are a bit lackluster to go grammar nazi on them. I would be the pot calling the kettle black...

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Forums and emails? Yes.
Texting and during a video game, that's fair enough. You want to communicate as quickly as possible, especially if it's a video game, but in a forum or during an email? If you have the time to reply, you have the time to use your language properly.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Depends.

If someone was just using stuff like LOL, WTF, and ROFL, but otherwise making a coherent and readable sentence, I don't mind.

If their sentence is nothing but textese and I can't read the sentence, then yeah, it does bug me. Rarely though does it happen due to the fact I don't really text that much IRL. (See what I did there?)

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
scorptatious said:
Depends.

If someone was just using stuff like LOL, WTF, and ROFL, but otherwise making a coherent and readable sentence, I don't mind.

If there sentence is nothing but textese and I can't read the sentence, then yeah, it does bug me. Rarely though does it happen due to the fact I don't really text that much IRL. (See what I did there?)
Indeed I did.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
It's laziness. Laziness should be punished, not tolerated; or even worse, propagated.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Supertegwyn said:
funguy2121 said:
Crono1973 said:
TYPE THE WORDS OUT. It's easy even if you don't know how to type (I peck).
Damned good point. I never used "textese" before I learned to type; I pecked as well.
Peck?
Take your right index finger, and possibly your left as well. Do a few keystrokes with only this/these finger(s). Now do this at light speed. That's pecking.

Captcha: most of us speak English, or at least a HUMAN language but whatever, ttonextr Zedekiah it is.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Supertegwyn said:
funguy2121 said:
Crono1973 said:
Damned good point. I never used "textese" before I learned to type; I pecked as well.
Peck?
Take your right index finger, and possibly your left as well. Do a few keystrokes with only this/these finger(s). Now do this at light speed. That's pecking.

Captcha: most of us speak English, or at least a HUMAN language but whatever, ttonextr Zedekiah it is.
Urgh, I like using all my fingers :/

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
higgs20 said:
It's not that difficult to use real words, people accidentally mis-spelling things never bothers me but when people do that sort of thing intentionally it just baffles me.
Not trying to derail anything so I will chime in and say yes it does, because almost every box you can type in has a built in spell check, just right click the underlined word it's not that hard.

But onto the reason I had to post..... IS THAT A FREAKING CGI BUZZLIGHTYEAR??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is that from?

P.S. Buzz could totally kick bobba-fets ass.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
basm321 said:
higgs20 said:
It's not that difficult to use real words, people accidentally mis-spelling things never bothers me but when people do that sort of thing intentionally it just baffles me.
Not trying to derail anything so I will chime in and say yes it does, because almost every box you can type in has a built in spell check, just right click the underlined word it's not that hard.

But onto the reason I had to post..... IS THAT A FREAKING CGI BUZZLIGHTYEAR??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is that from?

P.S. Buzz could totally kick bobba-fets ass.
yes it is, and I really have no idea what it's from, it's just one of those pictures you sort of pick up on your internet travels.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Supertegwyn said:
Now when I say that, I don't mean on a phone or IMS, I mean in forums and emails (like this one)

Examples being:

"no i dunt tink that cod6 is bad, fuk u"

etc.
I die a little inside, yes.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
A little bit, it depends how bad it is. What I like even less is when people don't have any paragraphs in a huge wall of text.

Mister Swift

Disingenuously asserting.
Jan 27, 2010
I always try to maintain a quality standard of spelling and grammar, but I'm quite tolerant of 'textese', mainly because my girlfriend texts me in it all the time.

Forever whipped.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Supertegwyn said:
funguy2121 said:
Supertegwyn said:
funguy2121 said:
Crono1973 said:
Peck?

Urgh, I like using all my fingers :/
Oh my God, he was talking about what people do before they learn the qwerty. I also hate pecking, hated it up until I learned to type, and now I don't have to hate it, because it doesn't exist for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lithium.jelly said:
Didn't we have this same thread yesterday? I will, however, reiterate my point of view. "Txt spk" is a blight upon communication. It is a vile insult to language and use of it should be punishable by being forced to proofread bad fanfiction for a week. I do not believe it is acceptable even in text messaging, let alone forums or email.
Bah. Wot gud haz langwaj evr dun 4 meh?