Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Dorby5826and360 said:
diasravenguard said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.
So, because you believe that Jesus died for our sins, you believe that man did not descend from apes, thus causing men of science to classify ourselves under "great ape?" Despite the mountains of genetic evidence, behavioral evidence, and the fact that they just look almost EXACTLY like us (compared to all other forms of life) you choose to believe that God made us in his own image?

I it seems more likely that man made the image of God in HIS own likeness. That man could ever know the "face" or "shape" of God is ridiculous. The image we all hold so dear of God as a bearded, robed man among the clouds was just a carry-over from Zeus or Jupiter imagery in order to make the conversion process easier on the pagans.

Certainly eventually it wouldn't matter what God looked like so long as they were worshiping the one true God, right?

Or perhaps you take the Adam and Eve metaphor literally because your creed demands it. Either inbreeding did not cause infant death within 3 generations back then, or it's not literally true.

Besides, that was in the Torah first, and the Jewish people don't claim to take it literally. I would trust their interpretation before a faith based more on the New Testament.

Believe what you will, but understand that the diversity of life makes a LOT more sense if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint. Intelligence such as ours could have come in any shape imaginable, and likely has among the stars. Didn't you hear? The Pope said it's okay to believe in aliens now. :D
I do not believe a lot of the scientific theories that scientists came up with, they are all liberal pigs. I believe that humans have always been human. I also do believe in the story of Adam and Eve. Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals; also the theory of the big bang is all false too.
Do you have health insurance? Cause your bible says to pray while on your sickbed and that you will be healed. If ya got health insurance you don't believe all of the bible...
It does not say it anywhere in the Bible that if you pray for someone it will heal them, we pray to give hope to the people that are sick to let them know that God is watching him or her so if they do die they could go to Heaven. I do not know where you have heard that story from.
Are you insane James 5:15, where the Bible says:

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
Velvo said:
I also do believe in the story of Adam and Eve.
I'm curious about that one, what do you think about incest? Does it bear any medical harm whatsoever? Is it morally ok? What do you think about people who fornicate with their own sister (after they've been married that is, of course)?

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Yes. The fact that we won the whole "species domination" thing doesn't mean we're not animals, and categorically we are apes.

El Poncho said:
Why would I waste belief on fact?

No need to believe in what is true.
Sorry to digress, and not wishing to offend, but that's an odd distinction to make. Belief isn't exactly a limited resource. It's like asking if I believe I am using a keyboard. I believe I am even though it is also provable that I am. Maybe you are lumping in faith with belief?

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
By definition of 'ape', humans are apes. This is not a belief or opinion, this is fact. If you believe otherwise, you are wrong.

It's as simple as that.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Essentially we're apes who, over a series of mutations, got smarter and less furry, yes. I don't take this to the idiotic "we're animals, therefore we must be savage and not have any semblance of reason or sophistication" extreme, however.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Nice of you to argue against me without actually refuting my points in a meaningful way. The nature of "life" is by definition intangible. Our viewpoints are biased because we are what we difine as living beings. Would the perspective change for a being that existed outside of time, for instance?
In any case, I cannot disprove your point of view, just as you cannot disprove mine. The point is, you are only viewing life on life's terms, to quote doctor manhattan. Definitively, however, life is far from factual. Descartes was able to deduce that centuries ago. Anyone who thinks otherwise misunderstands logic.
To summarise, life isn't as special as we think it is.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Hmmm, evolved from, yes.
Are they, no.
well, that's just my opinion.

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
Circleseer said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
I do not believe a lot of the scientific theories that scientists came up with, they are all liberal pigs. I believe that humans have always been human. I also do believe in the story of Adam and Eve. Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals; also the theory of the big bang is all false too.
First of all, sorry that that other dude was so rude.

Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals

No, you've got it wrong. They're mammals, like us, and we probably share some mammalian ancestor. Pigs evolved with us, in a somewhat different direction. Also, we sort of need those bones and organs to function - regardless of what we are.

I also think it's very witty that you call scientist 'liberal pigs', and then say humans aren't related to pigs. It made me giggle.

As for Adam and Eve; if they had three sons, and incest is not allowed, how did the rest of us get here? Furthermore; if family has children too often, at a certain point they are born retarded or dead. We have tried this experiment on many (complex) species, and it turned out true all the time. Our genes are too different to have come from just two ancestors, it seems.

The big bang is indeed a theory, and thus one can deny it without any reason. However, perhaps god created the universe with the big bang? I know some christians who believe that.

Anyway, thanks for reading, if you did.
I'd appriciate a reply.
With the story of Adam and Eve, it is true that Adam and Eve had three children, but you apparently did not hear the part where God made other humans afterward, Adam and Eve were just the first humans made.

For the quote about the Horse and Pigs being mammals, Apes are mammals to so they share parts as humans, it does not mean we came from apes. About the animals having the same organs as us, it is true, but many animals have different organs which others do not have.

For the Christians who believe that God formed the earth with the Big Bang apparently are not true Christians because God says that Earth was formed in 6 days, on each day God added more to the planet. I called Liberal pigs because their views negative and I consider them to be dirty in their views, like a pig is dirty when it is in the mud.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
A random person said:
Essentially we're apes who, over a series of mutations, got smarter and less furry, yes. I don't take this to the idiotic "we're animals, therefore we must be savage and not have any semblance of reason or sophistication" extreme, however.
Nice point although I would say we are more savage than any other species on the planet and the only one with the ability to commit genocide on the scale that we do. Or the xenocides that we continue to do by harvesting the rain forests (not with green-peace just making the point) and both of these are directly related to the level of reason and sophistication we have achieved...

Most guys (like Hitler and Mao) always had a way of reasoning their crimes into doing what was right.

*edit spelling correction*

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
BlackStar42 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Julianking93 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
Imagine a gorilla in a tracksuit cap and horrible jewellery.
BEHOLD! Your average Brit.
Brits are fans of track suits?

I thought that was more of a....eastern European thing.
That is not a Brit. That is a Chav, a subspecies of human, known as Homo moronicus. Unfortunately, they are infesting our fair isle and breeding like rabbits. For some reason, it is against the law to bludgeon them to death under the guise of pest control, and Lord knows I've tried...
Haven't we all? Little b*stards clogging the streets! Do you know how many times I've been told to get a haircut? I mean, honestly! DX

OT: Yes. Yes. Oh, and Yes.

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
diasravenguard said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
diasravenguard said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.
So, because you believe that Jesus died for our sins, you believe that man did not descend from apes, thus causing men of science to classify ourselves under "great ape?" Despite the mountains of genetic evidence, behavioral evidence, and the fact that they just look almost EXACTLY like us (compared to all other forms of life) you choose to believe that God made us in his own image?

I it seems more likely that man made the image of God in HIS own likeness. That man could ever know the "face" or "shape" of God is ridiculous. The image we all hold so dear of God as a bearded, robed man among the clouds was just a carry-over from Zeus or Jupiter imagery in order to make the conversion process easier on the pagans.

Certainly eventually it wouldn't matter what God looked like so long as they were worshiping the one true God, right?

Or perhaps you take the Adam and Eve metaphor literally because your creed demands it. Either inbreeding did not cause infant death within 3 generations back then, or it's not literally true.

Besides, that was in the Torah first, and the Jewish people don't claim to take it literally. I would trust their interpretation before a faith based more on the New Testament.

Believe what you will, but understand that the diversity of life makes a LOT more sense if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint. Intelligence such as ours could have come in any shape imaginable, and likely has among the stars. Didn't you hear? The Pope said it's okay to believe in aliens now. :D
Do you have health insurance? Cause your bible says to pray while on your sickbed and that you will be healed. If ya got health insurance you don't believe all of the bible...
It does not say it anywhere in the Bible that if you pray for someone it will heal them, we pray to give hope to the people that are sick to let them know that God is watching him or her so if they do die they could go to Heaven. I do not know where you have heard that story from.
Are you insane James 5:15, where the Bible says:

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.
You took the quote to literally, the quote means that when someone dies and people are praying for them, they will most likely go to heaven and your soul will be well. When he says the Lord will raise him up means that the person will be raised up in Heaven, my Religion believes when you go to Heaven you are living forever, so technically you are well, again. You took the quote to literally, which is what most of these Christian Religions do.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Natdaprat said:
I still don't know why evolution is still considered a theory.
The same reason that relativity is still considered a theory, even though there is so much science based around it.

It's so that if something ever ever comes along to disprove it, scientists don't have to put up with all the ridicule and "neenurneenur" etc.

They try to avoid using absolutes whenever they can.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
Yes we are Homo-sapians so are apes just like the other Homos (Homo-erectus, Homo-Neanderthalensis, Homo-Heidelbergensis.)

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
yes we're in the Hominidae, or great ape family. And extremely intelligent, have you seen reality TV?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'm assuming you mean evolution. Yeah sure, why not? Makes more sense to me than anything else at the moment. Don't get me wrong though, I really like the Adam & Eve story, holding humans in such high regard is also interesting.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
diasravenguard said:
A random person said:
Nice point although I would say we are more savage than any other species on the planet and the only one with the ability to commit genocide on the scale that we do. Or the xenocides that we continue to do by harvesting the rain forests (not with green-peace just making the point) and both of these are directly related to the level of reason and sophistication we have achieved...

Most guys (like Hitler and Mao) always had a way of reasoning their crimes into doing what was right.

*edit spelling correction*
I disagree. Ants do this kind of thing all over the world, daily.

Humans are apes, it's just that we evolved into a more intelligent animal that, due its intelligence, can adapt to suit many environments. Other apes are suited for their own environment, and their environment didn't require them to become more intellingent and evolve feet and such. That's the difference.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Nautical Honors Society said:
But I know there is a lot of argument about wether or not humans are actually apes, because of religious views or what not.
What do you mean by "what not?" I am unaware of any reason to disagree with this other than religious views.