Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Rainboq said:
Technically, the great apes are classified under Homo-(insert second name here, IE. Erectus, Sapien, etc.) so we're a class unto ourself.
Homo-Erectus?!?!

Seriously who comes up with these names!

OT: Yes i do think we are apes, no other animals that we could of evolved from really.

AssCut4U

Jul 16, 2010
How Could Man Be Derived Form APE?.. It was pertty hard for me to belive it my Dam Self !.. But Then, I Fucked Around And (***** SLAPPED THE TASTE OUT OF A CRACK WHORES MOUTH !)

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Mukil said:
As mentioned before Hominade is Great Apes. We are classed under Homo.
Hominidae is a Family, Homo is a Genus. The Homo Genus is within the Hominidae Family.

Sep 17, 2009
deadguynotyetburied said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
It is a poll, not a survey. A survey would mean I am using the data for some sort of higher purpose, a poll is simply a numerical representation to describe the overall opinions of the topic.

And

Really? Go look around the forums a bit and tell me if you find any topic at all that isn't video game related.

Oh look I found some for you.

Welcome to the Escapist, sometimes we like to have non-video game related conversations.
Your distinction between a survey and a poll is interesting. When did you make it up? Also, though I thank you for the effort of writing a reply, why did you bother if you weren't going to answer the question I asked? I didn't ask whether people open Escapist threads that aren't games related -- there's even an entire category for such posts. I asked why you would want the information at all.
I find it funny that I am getting a lot of heat for trying to start a conversation just for the sake of starting a conversation.

If you are not going to contribute to thread then why bother even posting?

Maybe you should stop trying to troll, nitpick, and outsmart people. Then reevaluate the way you spend your time.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Scientifically speaking humans are apes. Actually we are members of a group of apes known as the "Great Apes"

[Source] http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-great-apes.htm

But I know there is a lot of argument about wether or not humans are actually apes, because of religious views or what not.

In my opinion humans are just extremely intelligent apes, and science agrees with me, but what do you guys think?

EDIT: Wow, I used the word "apes" quite a lot there.
I wouldn't go so far as to say we're extremely intelligent ... but otherwise ya

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
Evolution - We're not evolving a whole lot. If you'd take a baby who was born 50,000 years ago, and you'd raise him with other kids of this age, I'm quite sure they'd end up the same. He could be taught to fly an airplane and all that. We have removed all evolutionary pressure, so we won't evolve into a 'better form'. Never mistake evolution for a march forwards. It's just change. Tigers today aren't 'better' then sabretooths used to be. Just better adjusted, or lucky to survive. Things change, they don't neccesarily improve. Even changing from a single-celled organism to an apex predator is just a change in the end, not neccesarily progress, though typically we would want to believe that.

Are we apes.
As far as we know, evolution has spawned humans as a species. We're not apes, we're family of them though. There have been several types of human; most famously the Neanderthal and Sapien, though there have been others. We believe Sapien is the last remaining kind. Rumours exists that some species have survived in unexplored areas, but we can't be sure. Our gene pool is more limited than of most other creatures on the planet. This is probably because humanity once almost died out. We aren't a very strong species. Most humans died out, our kind survived. Probably due to tool use and luck - and here we are.

Apes are a classification. We make this because we are animals. We classify. We need to put everything in it's own box, for easy identifying. But obviously, the whole system isn't a fact. It's merely a product of our build. A way to cope in a large world. We sort things, though in truth they aren't sorted. We just kind of put species with common ancestors in the same box, whilst actually every single sample of everything has it's own genotype and fenotype, it's own buildup.

However, people tend to put lots of meaning behind questions like that. 'Are we apes?!' basically means 'Should I assort myself with species that share my common ancestor?!' I say do whatever the hell you want. It doesn't really matter, since it's only in your head in the end.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
The_ModeRazor said:
Well, I guess we are.
Fuck it, if we weren't apes, then what the fuck would we be? Ultra apes?
That just sounds silly.
Clearly, we are the Nietzschian superape, or überaffe, physically and morally superior to other apes. ;)

Mukil said:
As mentioned before Hominade is Great Apes. We are classed under Homo.
Genus Homo, in family Hominidae.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
arc1991 said:
Rainboq said:
Technically, the great apes are classified under Homo-(insert second name here, IE. Erectus, Sapien, etc.) so we're a class unto ourself.
Homo-Erectus?!?!

Seriously who comes up with these names!

OT: Yes i do think we are apes, no other animals that we could of evolved from really.
Latin is used a lot generally because of when this branch of science developed for humans the lead researcher was Galen (2nd century) on human anatomy and physiology and he dissected other animals and a few primates and used comparative study to fuel the field... I don't agree with the use of latin as it is a dead language outside the academic circle. Just cause we have windows 98 doesn't mean every game produced needs to be made for it!

*Edit corrected grammer error*

fenixkane

Sep 16, 2008
diasravenguard said:
fenixkane said:
I voted no not because I don't believe in evolution but because we are only related by ancestry to apes. Apes are not our lower forms. They grew in parallel to us. We did not come from apes but from some other animal with an earlier stage in evolution. We branched off quite a long time ago.
I don't think evolution has anything to do with this question... it's asking if we are classified as apes or something else.

I know I'm not a plant that means I'm either an animal or nothing... (ok I could be acea (sp?) but since i don't have the odd cell membrane i'm thinking I gotta be an animal and the classification I fall into is greater ape which is an ape...)

Ego-check's make better people!
Well to clarify then. I believe that we are as different (if not more) from apes as monkeys are from apes, similar but should be classified differently.
But really. Who cares.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Ook ook ook ook AH AH AH ook ook ook...

Well, maybe whe are not apes, but we WHERE apes. Somewhere I actually believe that whe were from Mars, but when Mars' resources got exhausted whe moved to Earth. TADAAA! Whe are the Martians!

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
I wonder what a gorilla tastes like compared to what a human vegetarian tastes like? We need a controlled test of this. Make sure the human and the gorilla eat nothing but the same meals, then eat them.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

dicai

Jun 4, 2009
FireFox170 said:
dicai said:
As the years go by we will be less animal, as to almost find no similarity between apes and us. But, yes, I absolutely believe that our biological ancestors were apes. Mine was a cute monkey named Bobo :D

Listen "In the Year 2525-Zager & Evans" :p
We can't be "Less Animal"....

Species are catagorized into:
Life, Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

The Kingdom Catagory is split into:
Kingdom Bacteria
Kingdom Archaea
Kingdom Protista
Kingdom Plantae
Kingdom Fungi
Kingdom Animalia

We are obviously in Kingdom Animalia
I expressed myself incorrectly then. I meant "animal" in the sense of primitive and less ability of rational thought.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Well, the article says that we're from "ape" category of primates, and seeing as I have no expertise to say otherwise, I'm going to go ahead and agree.
Always been a little fuzzy on the distinctions within the primate category.
The article could do with some source listings, however.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
LittleChone said:
No. Humans are an evolutionary genus FROM apes, but not apes ourselves.
Apes is a term to describe a family. apes are primates and there are a few false apes such as a Barbary Macaque which are monkeys. we are apes, we are also technically great apes as opposed to being lesser apes (due to size) it's a term just like primates (which we are also)

there's a post on 2nd or 3rd page with the direct line from superfamily down on what we are might read it! Apes aren't from an evolutionary standpoint a species!

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Folio said:
Ook ook ook ook AH AH AH ook ook ook...

Well, maybe whe are not apes, but we WHERE apes. Somewhere I actually believe that whe were from Mars, but when Mars' resources got exhausted whe moved to Earth. TADAAA! Whe are the Martians!