Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

King Crab

Jul 20, 2009
nope. we're a genus of monkey. hairless monkeys. well, you might be, I'm a crab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOdNY-HdG0

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.
So, because you believe that Jesus died for our sins, you believe that man did not descend from apes, thus causing men of science to classify ourselves under "great ape?" Despite the mountains of genetic evidence, behavioral evidence, and the fact that they just look almost EXACTLY like us (compared to all other forms of life) you choose to believe that God made us in his own image?

I it seems more likely that man made the image of God in HIS own likeness. That man could ever know the "face" or "shape" of God is ridiculous. The image we all hold so dear of God as a bearded, robed man among the clouds was just a carry-over from Zeus or Jupiter imagery in order to make the conversion process easier on the pagans.

Certainly eventually it wouldn't matter what God looked like so long as they were worshiping the one true God, right?

Or perhaps you take the Adam and Eve metaphor literally because your creed demands it. Either inbreeding did not cause infant death within 3 generations back then, or it's not literally true.

Besides, that was in the Torah first, and the Jewish people don't claim to take it literally. I would trust their interpretation before a faith based more on the New Testament.

Believe what you will, but understand that the diversity of life makes a LOT more sense if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint. Intelligence such as ours could have come in any shape imaginable, and likely has among the stars. Didn't you hear? The Pope said it's okay to believe in aliens now. :D
I do not believe a lot of the scientific theories that scientists came up with, they are all liberal pigs. I believe that humans have always been human. I also do believe in the story of Adam and Eve. Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals; also the theory of the big bang is all false too.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Well, yeah.

What else are we? Cetaceans?

Fuck cetaceans, man. They always think they're such hot shit.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.
So, because you believe that Jesus died for our sins, you believe that man did not descend from apes, thus causing men of science to classify ourselves under "great ape?" Despite the mountains of genetic evidence, behavioral evidence, and the fact that they just look almost EXACTLY like us (compared to all other forms of life) you choose to believe that God made us in his own image?

I it seems more likely that man made the image of God in HIS own likeness. That man could ever know the "face" or "shape" of God is ridiculous. The image we all hold so dear of God as a bearded, robed man among the clouds was just a carry-over from Zeus or Jupiter imagery in order to make the conversion process easier on the pagans.

Certainly eventually it wouldn't matter what God looked like so long as they were worshiping the one true God, right?

Or perhaps you take the Adam and Eve metaphor literally because your creed demands it. Either inbreeding did not cause infant death within 3 generations back then, or it's not literally true.

Besides, that was in the Torah first, and the Jewish people don't claim to take it literally. I would trust their interpretation before a faith based more on the New Testament.

Believe what you will, but understand that the diversity of life makes a LOT more sense if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint. Intelligence such as ours could have come in any shape imaginable, and likely has among the stars. Didn't you hear? The Pope said it's okay to believe in aliens now. :D
I do not believe a lot of the scientific theories that scientists came up with, they are all liberal pigs. I believe that humans have always been human. I also do believe in the story of Adam and Eve. Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals; also the theory of the big bang is all false too.
Do you have health insurance? Cause your bible says to pray while on your sickbed and that you will be healed. If ya got health insurance you don't believe all of the bible...

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
To say that we are not apes is an emotional response derived from the sense that we must somehow be more important than all other life forms on this planet. Genetically, the only real difference is body hair and brain capacity.
To be honest, though, we are just a sack of water and protien(spelling?) which just happens to be the site of overlapping and complementory chemical reactions and electrical signals creating the illusion of the phenomenon we call life.
At the basic atomic level, we are no more complex than a rock.
A pattern of rocks which happens to corespond most closely with that of what we call apes.

But that's just my opinion.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
Well for starters, if evolution did occur then why aren't all apes human? Our skeletal systems are different, they lack the ability to learn, their hands and feet are very different from ours. Simple facts.
So many people have talked back on this, so I'll spare you the rebuttal. But seriously, go to a zoo and watch yourself some monkeys, gorillas, chimpanzees, going about and doing their thing. And ask yourself if any of the stuff they're doing, like eating a banana, scratching themselves, picking up things, walking... if any of it reminds you of human behaviour. If it does, then ask yourself, are we really that dissimilar? Also, just look at them. Look at their fingers and toes, their chests, their shoulders, the way their arms and legs are proportioned. Other primates are more like humans than any other animals out there, because our common ancestor is much further down the evolution line than that between us and other animals. THAT is fact.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nautical Honors Society said:
Scientifically speaking humans are apes. Actually we are members of a group of apes known as the "Great Apes"
I was under the impression we where monkeys, not apes...?
EDIT: Wow, I used the word "apes" quite a lot there.
You went ape for it... *ducks from the gun fire*

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
diasravenguard said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:

Do you have health insurance? Cause your bible says to pray while on your sickbed and that you will be healed. If ya got health insurance you don't believe all of the bible...
Don't listen to him. If christians gain comfort from the belief that their deity, who is somehow more likely to be the real deity than that of the thousands of other religions out there, will appreciate the arbitrary designation of right and wrong that an ancient book written thousands of years ago has pescribed, then let him...
providing he doesn't stick his closed minded, arrogant, illogical, judgemental nose into a forum that should be discussing something measurable and explainable.

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
First of all, sorry that that other dude was so rude.

Humans also have the same all the same bones of a horse and the same organs of a pig, but I doubt you believe that humans evolved from those animals

No, you've got it wrong. They're mammals, like us, and we probably share some mammalian ancestor. Pigs evolved with us, in a somewhat different direction. Also, we sort of need those bones and organs to function - regardless of what we are.

I also think it's very witty that you call scientist 'liberal pigs', and then say humans aren't related to pigs. It made me giggle.

As for Adam and Eve; if they had three sons, and incest is not allowed, how did the rest of us get here? Furthermore; if family has children too often, at a certain point they are born retarded or dead. We have tried this experiment on many (complex) species, and it turned out true all the time. Our genes are too different to have come from just two ancestors, it seems.

The big bang is indeed a theory, and thus one can deny it without any reason. However, perhaps god created the universe with the big bang? I know some christians who believe that.

Anyway, thanks for reading, if you did.
I'd appriciate a reply.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Do bears sh*t in the woods?

Sorry, that was off-topic. But seriously, do they?

[sub](the answer, by the way, is YES)[/sub]

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
We fit into the same general taxon as apes, and we have similar DNA. So I'd saw we are very closely related to apes.
In short: I'd say yes.

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
diasravenguard said:
Dorby5826and360 said:
Velvo said:
Dorby5826and360 said:

It does not say it anywhere in the Bible that if you pray for someone it will heal them, we pray to give hope to the people that are sick to let them know that God is watching him or her so if they do die they could go to Heaven. I do not know where you have heard that story from.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
It's not a matter of opinion it's fact; like a cat is feline, humans are apes. It's just the catagory we fall into.

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
That's like asking "are dolphins whales" - of course they are, but no one in their right mind would say "oh look, a whale" when they see a dolphin (maybe if it's an Orca, but that's a different story). And no one in their right mind would say "look, an ape" when they see a human (maybe if it's... never mind).

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nazz3 said:
Folio said:
Ook ook ook ook AH AH AH ook ook ook...

Well, maybe whe are not apes, but we WHERE apes. Somewhere I actually believe that whe were from Mars, but when Mars' resources got exhausted whe moved to Earth. TADAAA! Whe are the Martians!
Damn, now I feel old.

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
brainless_fps_player said:
To say that we are not apes is an emotional response derived from the sense that we must somehow be more important than all other life forms on this planet. Genetically, the only real difference is body hair and brain capacity.
To be honest, though, we are just a sack of water and protien(spelling?) which just happens to be the site of overlapping and complementory chemical reactions and electrical signals creating the illusion of the phenomenon we call life.
At the basic atomic level, we are no more complex than a rock.
A pattern of rocks which happens to corespond most closely with that of what we call apes.

But that's just my opinion.
Animals are self-propelling, and influence their surroundings directly. Minerals are (as far as we know) immobile. You know this.
Also, life is a continious process, not an illusion of a phenomenon. Time is an illusion of a phenomenon. Life is factual. You know that too.
You are, of course, absolutely right in essence. But we're alive, and we feel, and those things don't have to mean anything besides the fact that they are so. One lives because he's alive. Understanding and describing the process doesn't change it's validity.

Have a nice day!

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
Don't listen to him. If christians gain comfort from the belief that their deity, who is somehow more likely to be the real deity than that of the thousands of other religions out there, will appreciate the arbitrary designation of right and wrong that an ancient book written thousands of years ago has pescribed, then let him...
providing he doesn't stick his closed minded, arrogant, illogical, judgemental nose into a forum that should be discussing something measurable and explainable.
Makes sense... Still i think i saw a nose stick into a debate that had nothing to do with any of his/her features... Anyways I wasn't trying to be mean to him just bringing up a logical (granted s/he isn't logical so it'll do nothing positive) manner that even as a deeply devoted follower s/he probably doesn't follow word for word and uses their brain on special occasions.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
How so?

Skullkid4187 said:
No, it's impossible. There are disincentive differences that separate us completely
Please cite examples.

By mitochondrial DNA, we and chimps have a relatively recent common ancestor, and that and gorillas shared another common ancestor, and the other primates branched out from before that.