Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
crudus said:
snip

Rainboq said:
Technically, the great apes are classified under Homo-(insert second name here, IE. Erectus, Sapien, etc.) so we're a class unto ourself.
No they aren't. We are the only living species in the Homo genus. All others are extinct. Ape are defined by any animal in the Hominoidea superfamily of primates which does in fact include humans.
*slow claps*

Congratulations, you found the error I left there!

Thank you for letting me win my bet!

Sep 17, 2009
deadguynotyetburied said:
I'm curious. Why would anybody care whether the users of a website dedicated to gaming and entertainment reviews (and massively intrusive advertising for the same products) believe that humans are apes? I can't think of any use for the results of such a survey.
It is a poll, not a survey. A survey would mean I am using the data for some sort of higher purpose, a poll is simply a numerical representation to describe the overall opinions of the topic.

And

Really? Go look around the forums a bit and tell me if you find any topic at all that isn't video game related.

Oh look I found some for you.

I.E.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.213435-Ok-anti-gay-people-I-have-a-question-and-it-WILL-be-answered

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.213775-Our-moral-backgrounds

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.213901-Job-Interview-advice

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.213934-Whats-the-Girliest-thing-youve-ever-done

Welcome to the Escapist, sometimes we like to have non-video game related conversations.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
dicai said:
As the years go by we will be less animal, as to almost find no similarity between apes and us. But, yes, I absolutely believe that our biological ancestors were apes. Mine was a cute monkey named Bobo :D

Listen "In the Year 2525-Zager & Evans" :p
We can't be "Less Animal"....

Species are catagorized into:
Life, Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

The Kingdom Catagory is split into:
Kingdom Bacteria
Kingdom Archaea
Kingdom Protista
Kingdom Plantae
Kingdom Fungi
Kingdom Animalia

We are obviously in Kingdom Animalia

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
No, we're not apes, as the common person understands the definition of "ape". We are, however, extremely closely related.

I answered yes, because I knew my knit-picky no answer would be mistaken as an insanity-laden vote against evolution, which it most certainly would not be.

Sep 17, 2009
burntheartist said:
We're apes with a voice box that evolved to help us communicably hunt.

There ya roll.
Did you mean to call me a "troll"?

If so, that was not my purpose, I simply wanted to start a conversation I found interesting.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I don't believe that we're apes, it's a scientific fact. That's like asking "Do you believe in gravity?"

t00bz

Feb 23, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
No, it's impossible. There are disincentive differences that separate us completely
Oh really? So I guess the fact that our DNA differs from most Apes by a mere 2% makes us completely different?

The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
My sarcasm sense is tingling.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
No, calling us "apes" is an insult to the majestic animal that is the ape. Apes are generally peaceful, although they might get into squabbles every so often, they don't try to kill whole parts of their species, kill for pleasure, or destroy the earth. Obviously, we evolved from some kind of ape, but I wouldn't call us apes now.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I personally dont believe in Evolution as it stands. I think is does exist, but I think more factors went into it. Our theory of evolution is incomplete, and as such, I accept it as that.

Do we share a lineage with apes? I think sometime way back, yeah. But humans have done far more then apes ever have. We evolved into a civilization, one that can build structures, manipulate the environment, and feel remorse and reprocussions for our planet and other humans on a grand scale. Apes can... use a stick to scoop up ants.

To me, this question is like asking is a penguin like a wood pecker. Yeah, they are both birds. But they are two very different spectrums of the chart. Did they have a common ancestor? Probably. But they are so different now, who cares?

For all we know, we could be apes that were abducted by aliens, and evolved into humans in some genetic experiment. Ya know, the same ones that built the pyramids, told the Aztecs the world would end in 2012, and made all those ancient Earth anomalies that we cant figure out. Either way, Im a human now. I have luxaries. What do I care if some ape is related to me?

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Georgie_Leech said:
First, let me say that I am Christian, so please, no one say I'm anti-religion. But I'm rational about it, and when you get down to it, the evidence that the metaphorical creation story of Adam and Eve really happenned is basically "Because we say so." Evolution is true, there's mountains of evidence.
Not to derail the thread or anything, but if you don't believe in what Christianity tells you, are you really a Christian? Aren't you just religious?

OT: I believe in the theory of evolution to the point that it's really the only theory about our origin that we've actually found some supporting evidence of.

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.

MrJohnson

May 13, 2009
Why, yes I believe in evolution, because if Adam & Eve were true after three generations we would be so horribly inbred we would die out of the womb.

Are we literally Apes? No, not really, aside from our species classification as "Great Apes".

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Buccura said:
I'm in a class on this and, no, we aren't apes. We are related to Apes in our evolutionary line, and we have a common ancestor, but that's like saying just because your distant cousin is, say, Swedish, then you are Swedish too. That's just a random example but you know what I mean.
Really and I'm taxonomist with a masters degree either your professor is wrong or you're failing the class...

deadguynotyetburied

Jun 3, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
It is a poll, not a survey. A survey would mean I am using the data for some sort of higher purpose, a poll is simply a numerical representation to describe the overall opinions of the topic.

And

Really? Go look around the forums a bit and tell me if you find any topic at all that isn't video game related.

Oh look I found some for you.

Welcome to the Escapist, sometimes we like to have non-video game related conversations.
Your distinction between a survey and a poll is interesting. When did you make it up? Also, though I thank you for the effort of writing a reply, why did you bother if you weren't going to answer the question I asked? I didn't ask whether people open Escapist threads that aren't games related -- there's even an entire category for such posts. I asked why you would want the information at all.

Byr0m

Jun 7, 2010
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
Imagine a gorilla in a tracksuit cap and horrible jewellery.
BEHOLD! Your average Brit.
I resent that statement! I'm British and I have never worn a tracksuit in my life }:-(

But seriously... I voted yes because that's what I'm leaning towards but now I actually consider it, I don't really know enough about the pros and cons for either side...but since it is more-or-less accepted as fact, and I believe it, I say yes.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
Brits are fans of track suits?

I thought that was more of a....eastern European thing.
Some brits, also known as "neds" in Scotland, hence,

Fucking assholes...

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Byr0m said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
I resent that statement! I'm British and I have never worn a tracksuit in my life }:-(

But seriously... I voted yes because that's what I'm leaning towards but now I actually consider it, I don't really know enough about the pros and cons for either side...but since it is more-or-less accepted as fact, and I believe it, I say yes.
The tracksuit and jewelery or the ape classification? I like the lil hats they've always made me laugh when traveling!