Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Syphous said:
I wonder what a gorilla tastes like compared to what a human vegetarian tastes like? We need a controlled test of this. Make sure the human and the gorilla eat nothing but the same meals, then eat them.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Sadly enough this has been tested a few times in the congo area... though I don't think it was properly controlled. Just remember if ya ever have to deal with a headhunting tribe you eat what they offer and don't think about what it is...

Velvo

Jan 25, 2010
Dorby5826and360 said:
I do not believe that humans are apes because I do not believe in evolution. I am Catholic so that is why I do not believe any of it.
So, because you believe that Jesus died for our sins, you believe that man did not descend from apes, thus causing men of science to classify ourselves under "great ape?" Despite the mountains of genetic evidence, behavioral evidence, and the fact that they just look almost EXACTLY like us (compared to all other forms of life) you choose to believe that God made us in his own image?

I it seems more likely that man made the image of God in HIS own likeness. That man could ever know the "face" or "shape" of God is ridiculous. The image we all hold so dear of God as a bearded, robed man among the clouds was just a carry-over from Zeus or Jupiter imagery in order to make the conversion process easier on the pagans.

Certainly eventually it wouldn't matter what God looked like so long as they were worshiping the one true God, right?

Or perhaps you take the Adam and Eve metaphor literally because your creed demands it. Either inbreeding did not cause infant death within 3 generations back then, or it's not literally true.

Besides, that was in the Torah first, and the Jewish people don't claim to take it literally. I would trust their interpretation before a faith based more on the New Testament.

Believe what you will, but understand that the diversity of life makes a LOT more sense if you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint. Intelligence such as ours could have come in any shape imaginable, and likely has among the stars. Didn't you hear? The Pope said it's okay to believe in aliens now. :D

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
arc1991 said:
Rainboq said:
Technically, the great apes are classified under Homo-(insert second name here, IE. Erectus, Sapien, etc.) so we're a class unto ourself.
Homo-Erectus?!?!

Seriously who comes up with these names!
Probably someone with a sense of humor

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yes... and it's not really a matter of opinion. No one has an opinion on what date World War 2 ended, it is a FACT, just like that humans are primates (ok, more of an arbitrary category, but it is a fact we ARE closely related).

Also, I remember I was being given a tour around a Chimpanzee enclosure and the guide was asked if they were violent:

-Guide: "Oh yes, extremely violent, they are the second most violent primates in the world fight and kill over everything and nothing"
-Tourist: "wow, only second most. But what is the most violent Primate?"

*guide stops walking and turns looks him in the eye*

-Guide: "... Human... "

It was freaky, he was a Forest Ranger in Cameroon... I get the idea he knew more about humanity than many would like to know.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
diasravenguard said:
Eman645 said:
We evolved from apes be we are not, we are hominids.

You might be better off doing a bit more research before making that kind of statement. The entire family is classified as apes but we are classified as a great ape as a distinction within that family, there are two branches of apes (Hominoidea) one is the Hylobatidae which are gibbons (we call this branch the lesser apes) the other is the Hominidae (which is often anglicized as hominids) are all larger apes which is why the branch is called the greater apes. There are also old world monkeys which as you can see from the image evolved separate from these two branches!
Perhaps we should be the...Greatest Apes...eh? XD

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Slayer_2 said:
No, calling us "apes" is an insult to the majestic animal that is the ape. Apes are generally peaceful, although they might get into squabbles every so often, they don't try to kill whole parts of their species, kill for pleasure, or destroy the earth. Obviously, we evolved from some kind of ape, but I wouldn't call us apes now.
You might want to read up on chimpanzees... they goto war with other tribes and EAT the losing sides babies.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Grand_Arcana said:
I don't believe that we're apes, it's a scientific fact. That's like asking "Do you believe in gravity?"
Thank you! What other animal could we be? We are primates (long gestation, fingernails, long maturation, etc) that have no tail. That's like asking if chimps are apes or tuna is a type of fish. It's basic taxonomy. We are not separate from the natural world.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
SultanP said:
Georgie_Leech said:
First, let me say that I am Christian, so please, no one say I'm anti-religion. But I'm rational about it, and when you get down to it, the evidence that the metaphorical creation story of Adam and Eve really happenned is basically "Because we say so." Evolution is true, there's mountains of evidence.
Not to derail the thread or anything, but if you don't believe in what Christianity tells you, are you really a Christian? Aren't you just religious?

OT: I believe in the theory of evolution to the point that it's really the only theory about our origin that we've actually found some supporting evidence of.
I believe that Christ walked the Earth, died for our sins, and was ressurected three days later, that he was the son of God, etc. Nowhere in our creed does it say we have to take the Bible literally, especially since it was created by man and, ergo, imperfect.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Regardless of whether or not you believe in evolution that is how we are taxinomically classified so there is no argument. Even if evolution doesn't exist that is the group we are assigned to.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
We are mammalian creatures with a common ancestor to that of other great apes. So yes we are technically apes and as I recall from seventh grade social studies Cro Magnon man showed up around 35,000 years ago or so.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Jark212 said:
We are not apes or monkeys...

WE SHARE A COMMON ANCESTOR
Education is a good thing! There is no species called ape... its a classification a gorilla is a species. just like a poodie is a breed of a species (dog)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Jark212 said:
We are not apes or monkeys...

WE SHARE A COMMON ANCESTOR
Yup, but we're still hominids, as are the (other) great apes.
So, yeah, we're not monkeys, but we are apes.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
rescuer86 said:
To clarify this, humans did not evolve from apes. Human and CHIMPANZEES share a common ancestor from Asia. These findings are fairly recent, within the past year, so I can understand very few people outside the archaeological community knowing this.
Thank God, I thought no one was going to point this out.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
Imagine a gorilla in a tracksuit cap and horrible jewellery.
BEHOLD! Your average Brit.
OOH that was harsh... and I liked it.

In answer to your poll, yes, humans are apes, according to how you've defined it. I think you could be a bit more clear, saying "did we descend from a common ancestor to other species of primate currently inhabiting the earth?" or something similar, but yeah, we are apes.
And if anybody tells me there's equal amounts of evidence for Evolution and Creationism, I get very upset indeed. I'm pretty passionate about this.

Also, it's perfectly possible to be religious and to support the theory of evolution. If we just want to talk about Christianity, there are many branches of Christianity, including Catholicism, that back the theory of Evolution, perhaps saying that God gave the process a metaphorical kick up the arse to get it started. I'm going to assume that the same is true for different branches of other religions.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
Imagine a gorilla in a tracksuit cap and horrible jewellery.
BEHOLD! Your average Brit.
Brits are fans of track suits?

I thought that was more of a....eastern European thing.
Wow. You know so little about the common brit.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is fact, is it not? So it's hard to argue. I still don't know why evolution is still considered a theory.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I believe in evolution, and I'm not religious, however, men did not spawn from apes, merely ape-like ancestors. But they still had many differences.

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
dicai said:
[quote="FireFox170" post="18.213991.7231686
I expressed myself incorrectly then. I meant "animal" in the sense of primitive and less ability of rational thought.
You tend to indivdualize yourself. That's normal, we all do that. But when it comes down to it, we really aren't all that special. We're doing different things than other animals, but we're in no way better, nor more 'advanced'. The whole concept of primitivism is a thought, something human - not a fact. In fact, all things are merely temporary gatherings of mass and energy, and you can never ever ever rise above that. Even if we'd travel through time and space, become immortal, or turn into beings of pure energy - you'd still be, when it really comes down to it, no more or less than a monkey, or a tree, or a heap of fossilized dinosaur dung.

Considering this, I believe you should now call your friends and get pleasantly drunk. Following that, you should enjoy your time on earth. Have lots of sex, maybe some kids one day.
Have a nice day :)

May 28, 2009
We share the same genus as apes so yeah. We gave ourselves the name "homo" as well as to other great apes.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Hmm, I would probably have to say that I agree with the OP on the ape thing.

uro vii said:
Well Homo Sapien Sapiens (humans) are of the Homo genus, which is also known as the "Great Apes" and is an ape genus, so yeah, we're apes.
And this would basically sum up why I agree with the OP.