Poll: Do you believe in the pedobear Catholic priest stereotype?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I know it is the exception rather than the rule, I think in the USA its like 200 out of 25000 priests have been accused of sexual abuse but the Roman Catholic church is a wholly corrupt and evil organization and I'll take any excuse to deride them.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Of course not. I'll still happily laugh at *jokes* but no, I'd hopefully never take them as serious accusations.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Versuvius said:
Well of course, when i said "did nothing about it" i mean't didn't mete out the punishments. Really. I did. Promise
I wasn't trying to correct you really, just add on to what had been said.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
JaredXE said:
Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, when a significant portion of the population conforms to it. I don't believe all priests are pedos, but I do think a profession that requires you to go against the nature god gave you and be celebate is going to either attract those with, or give, sexual issues. We're not meant to be sexless and also condemn those that do enjoy sex.
This and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up more often already on this thread, sex is something which is greatly pleasurable for most people and so a profession that requires its members to remain celibate is obviously going to attract a large percentage of people who for some reason aren't very interested in at-least the regular kind.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I believe that priesthood attracts pedophiles, they are put into a position where they can be around a large number of children and for the most part everyone trusts them, much like teachers and boy scout leaders, who you often hear news of abusing children.

I actually think that a lot of people become priests and teachers and boy scout leaders and the like to get closer to kids because they were already pedophiles, I don't think they get the job and suddenly start to feel attracted to children, but don't go quoting me on that as it's just my theory and I have no evidence to back it up.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
It depends what you mean.

Do I think that among Catholic priests there is a higher proportion of molesting paedophiles than among the normal population? Yes.

Do I think that all, or most or a lot of, Catholic prists are paedophiles? No.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Obviously all preists are not pedophiles. But, the church defends pedophiles and tries to keep accusations quiet. So yeah, the Catholic Church/preists have a tarnished reputation and rightfully so.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's mainly the Catholic church's cover-ups that made them a target.

Nobody can really blame you if there happens to be a pedophile in your organisation, but covering up the crime or consciencely reinstating a previous offender is fucking lunacy.

And to add insult to injury, you can bet that most of these molestations where conducted under the guise of "It is the Lord's will, my child".

I've never seen any actual numbers on the issue, but if there's really such large quantity of pedophiles in the Catholic church it might also be because many of them try to seek their solace in the priesthood, hoping to escape their nature.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I hate to break it to you, but the reason why stereotypes exist is because some of them are true. I'm not saying its a good or moral thing to judge a group or race based on a stereotype, but in the case of certain individuals...as the saying goes "if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, then its probably a duck."

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
No I don't believe that. The reason why I think the stereotype exists is similar to the reason I'm still worried about the small number of pedo-priests: The fact we recently got a lot of revelations of these abuse cases from the past, many of which were systematically buried by the pedophile's superiors that were more interested in looking holy than being holy. And while the pedo's are of course responsible for their own crimes, and they certainly committed the gravest crime here, I think that on the level of society, that system is a bigger problem. The Vatican still likes to throw its weight around if it can (look at how politicians in Latin America get threatened with excommunication if they don't follow the Vatican line on abortion and gays), which only makes it more worrying when we see how corrupt and PR obsessed that system can be. And while those priests that didn't die from natural causes yet are occasionally still being investigated, those involved in the cover-up have considerably less chances they'll hang. A couple of superiors have had to step down, but that's about it. The individual victims may need their abusers prosecuted, but on a global scale, cleaning up the system is much more important. Sadly, the Vatican remains even less transparant than the financial sector. If there is a God, he might chuck a few more warning shots with lightning bolts down to promote good behavior from his clergy, because evidentially the promise of a single high-stakes performance review with the boss after death isn't motivating enough.

Plus it doesn't help that those priests represent an organization that both claims to speak for God himself and likes to lecture everybody else on their sexual perversions, making problems of 'sins' that quite a number of people don't have a problem with (sex outside marriage, gays). When it turns out that organization itself houses some large-scale sexual perversions, you can expect some PR backlash.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Istvan said:
I don't believe that all catholic priests are paedophiles, but I believe there is a higher rate amongst them than in the general populace. The catholic church itself covering for paedophiles and providing them with more children was what made me advocate nuking the Vatican city however.
Why not use nerve gas? the Vatican itself is rather nice.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I don't believe every Catholic priest is a paedophile, but when the Pope himself refuses to punish these individuals, it tells me that the organization as a whole is willing to condone these acts.

Boris Goodenough said:
Istvan said:
I don't believe that all catholic priests are paedophiles, but I believe there is a higher rate amongst them than in the general populace. The catholic church itself covering for paedophiles and providing them with more children was what made me advocate nuking the Vatican city however.
Why not use nerve gas? the Vatican itself is rather nice.
Napalm would be better. The Vatican is directly inside Rome, lots of nice stuff and people there (and Pizza!), why put them at risk? Destroying the Vatican itself sends a message, and given that burning is the bible-dictated punishment for Heresy, it seems suitably appropriate.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Daverson said:
Napalm would be better. The Vatican is directly inside Rome, lots of nice stuff and people there (and Pizza!), why put them at risk? Destroying the Vatican itself sends a message, and given that burning is the bible-dictated punishment for Heresy, it seems suitably appropriate.
:( I've been there, it is really nice, no reason to burn it down.
We can used a tactical neutron bomb then.

Sep 14, 2009
nope not at all, however when the church refuses to punish such harmful/negative people, and instead protects them?

absolute rubbish.

most priests i meet are very kind and giving people, and it's sad they get a bad wrap from the few douchebag perv's

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
nbamaniac said:
There hasn't been any case here in our area.
I'm not far from the Boston Area scandal, so I can't say it's never happened around here. There were a couple cases closer, too.

The problem for me with the RCC isn't so much the notion that priests are pedophiles, it's that when the priests are known pedophiles, the RCC bullies people into silence and then shuffles known pedophiles into new areas where they are effectively allowed to cultivate new prey.

So in terms of the question, no, I don't assume or treat Catholic Priests as pedophiles. But the leadership of the RCC are monsters for inflicting harm, knowingly upon multiple populaces while keeping quiet.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
It's not a stereotype if it is true, and there are a disproportionate amount of Child molestation cases by catholic priests versus, say, teachers. There is CERTAINLY the fact that the catholic church explicitly protects/protected child molesters and covered up their crimes.

Catholic priests weren't randomly selected to be associated with Child rapists, they earned that association through a lot of hard work.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
I went to a catholic school and are priest got arrested for raping some kids so my stand point is bit biased

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Certainly there's been a lot of cases of child abuse from the catholic church, as well as a lot of covering up by the higher ups, including the vatican. Then again, obviously not every priest or bishop or whatever is fucking the altar boys, but some are.

Although it's just fun to make jokes about it, so, you know...