Poll: Do You Cuss In Front Of Your Parents?

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I like how you didn't include a "no, I don't swear in front of my parents" option. And no, I don't. Part of the way I show respect to them as my parents is by refraining from using profanities in their presence.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
My dad? Not that much unless we are camping.

My mom? Not in a million years. That women went through enough in her life, She doesn't need to know that her son can swear like a sailor.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Fuck yeah.

But not more than I normally do. I swear when I want to put a lot of emphsis on something, and can't be bothered to think of a shorter way to do it.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
My mother just does the disappointed parent face when I swear. Little does she know I've been immune to that face for a good five years now.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I won't shy away from it conversationally but not as recreationally as I might with my friends.

For example.

Phone conversation with my Father.

Hi Dad, the battery in my Jeep died could you give me a jump?
I don't know, it's just fuckin' dead.

Phone conversation with close friend.

Hey you fuck, I'm firing up the grill you wanna come over for a steak?
C'mon get your dick out of your hand and come over.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I only swear for two reasons: comedy or anger. And the only time I swear around my parents is when I'm angry--which isn't that often.
Or whenever we bust out the Book of Mormon soundtrack--I'm a slave to singing along to catchy tunes.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Yeah I swear all the time infront of my parents, of course I don't do it in public unless it's a private conversation between them and me. I do try to control myself though but if I stub my toe or they something really annoying it just slips out.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Most of the time no, although it will come out sometimes. My parents dislike me or any of my siblings swearing at any time, however when they've been drinking alcohol a bit they tend to not mind as much when any of us do swear.

Apr 13, 2010
My parents and me have a strange sort of relationship with swearing. It's almost become an inside joke now. My dad sometimes doesn't like it but my mum really doesn't bother and seems to enjoys the banter. Mind you I'm in my early 20s; would be a bit different if I was a bit younger.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
No, even though both my parents are extremely guilty of doing it themselves. No one in my family cusses in front of our parents, we occasionally do in front of each other.

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
My dad and I are known to regularly blast "I'm On a Boat" at full volume. So, yes, I have been known to cuss in front of my parents.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
DanielBrown said:
IamQ said:
I'm Swedish, and unless you say ******, nobody's going to react to you swearing. It's a strange thing you English speaking people have there with your bleeping and blooping over words.
This. Swearing is so casual here that most of us do it. Most of our curse words are pretty tame however, being mainly different names for Satan(fan, (d)jävla/r, satan) or shit. We should get some Norse cursing back in our language...

Vid Odens testiklar!
Balders balle och frejas fitta!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Used to be that I wouldn't cuss in front of my mother since I'd get in trouble. But after a while of my younger brother swearing up a storm at her and around her with no repercussions, I no longer gave a damn so I cussed in front of her as well.

But, I don't deal with her now, so I guess it doesn't matter now, dose it?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'd be curious to know how old everyone is...

Anyway, 24 years old and I don't swear in front of my parents. It just doesn't seem right to me. Of course they do know that I swear but it's not something I'll bust out when they're around.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I very rarely swear, honestly. My dad curses occasionally, but my parents never really taught my brother nor I not to swear. The community taught us that it was wrong; our schools were pretty harsh about swearing. I get annoyed about how in movies characters rarely express an idea or surprise without swearing their heads off.

Edit: Wait, some people still consider "crap" and "dang" curses? On another note, I don't really get why people act like the proper words for anatomy are curses.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Yeah my mother kinda puts up with it getting used to it after all these years. My dad swears more than me and my brother combined though so he can't talk.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Some_weirdGuy said:
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Shit, piss, fuck, etc.
I don't know your family so I can hardly speak no their behalf, but I will point out that perhaps 'emotional maturity' has very little/nothing to do with tolerating vulgarity, and that it's actually more to do with conveying respect and (at a guess) your parent's trying to raise to at least appear semi-educated and civilised.

You can say there's nothing wrong with swearing(and on a technicality I'd agree), but there's a reason why professionals in businesses don't turn around and say:
"k *****, what fuckin' shit can I do for you today? What the fuck do you want? Can I interest you cunts in some fucking financial advice or are you wanting to find some shit out about our fuckin' insurance policies?"

So at a guess your father just probably wants you to demonstrate that level of respect all the time rather than just sometimes. (maybe you should ask him and find out why he doesn't want you swearing ;) )

-----------

on a side note, I don't even count 'crap', 'damn', 'dick' , etc as swear words. Only the big 3 count (though I guess '****' comes close now days), and yeah I refrain from using them around my parents(i have never heard my mother swear, ever, so i respect that by refraining from doing so around/to her).

Now that I think about it, I only tend to use them 'casually' when doing impressions or other joke type characterisations XD.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. When I say my father doesn't like to hear me swear, I mean he doesn't like to hear me, specifically, swear. His rationale, which he's given me multiple times, is that I, being a minor, somehow "don't have the right" to swear. If it were only a matter of respect I wouldn't begrudge him the ban on cussing, but considering his tendency to say pretty vile things himself when he chews me out for swearing, I'm more inclined to think of it as immaturity.

That said, I do try not to swear around people if they politely ask me not to. I understand the need to be respectful and everything, I just don't see a rational reason why swearing is considered disrespectful.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
No, but then again, I don't cuss in front of anyone. No reason not to be polite (with, I suppose, the exception of humor, but even that's usually more overdone than not).

Capcha: "who makes the aspire s5 ultrabook?" And then there's a list of drop-down items. What the heck? Am I supposed to know this off the top of my head? Am I supposed to Google it? Am I supposed to take a wild guess? This is asinine.