Poll: Do you dream in First-Person or Third-Person?

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
I dream in the third person. Sometimes even with Silent Hill-esque fixed camera angles.
It's been proven that the media people watch affects the way we perceive dreams. For instance, before color TV was invented, during the period of black and white TV, many people dreamt in Black and White.
So as a result today, we are affected by television and movies (mostly in 3rd person) and videogames.
So as a result, I can see why a person who plays alot of FPS's would dream in first person.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Both in most cases, I have a very strange flow to my dreams that weaves in and out of both experiences. I suppose it's just another type of symbolism of removing oneself from the situation to view it more clearly. I don't usually consider the perspective though, i may have to factor that in to my dream decoding.

Elegy of Fools

May 8, 2011
Realistically most people should dream in "both," as dreams are a product of our mind, and if we think about ourselves, we'll see ourselves. Dreams I can recall that I went "third person" during usually involved me thinking about something happening in an area I couldn't see (such as my back), or if the sequence of the dream had me "detach" from myself. I akin it to Assassin's Creed; if I do something horribly out of character for myself, I'm suddenly not myself anymore, but rather watching someone who looks strangely like me (or not, some dreams I just "body-jump"). I'll still feel the sensations of what is happening, but my "eyes" will be five feet away from me, focused on my body.

It's an odd sensation, to be certain. Then again, dreams are wonderfully odd things.

EmpressZombiKitty

Mar 27, 2011
darron13 said:
I dream in the third person. Sometimes even with Silent Hill-esque fixed camera angles.
It's been proven that the media people watch affects the way we perceive dreams. For instance, before color TV was invented, during the period of black and white TV, many people dreamt in Black and White.
So as a result today, we are affected by television and movies (mostly in 3rd person) and videogames.
So as a result, I can see why a person who plays alot of FPS's would dream in first person.
I never knew that, and it seems so strange, but it makes complete sense that they would dream in black and white.

UdderedAvenger said:
Everything happens in third-person, until I engage in sexual intercourse....Yeah, I'm weird.
No, if you mean in your dream you go into first person during sex, that's actually normal for me too. Like, sometimes it'll start out 3rd person, but as it builds, I shift into first-person.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
I cannot ever remember a dream that I had that was first person. In fact, I'm hardly ever "in" my dreams, if that makes sense. I'm always an observer. Even if I'm in the dream, it's me watching myself on a screen, so to speak. Or as a "cameraman" of sorts.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
EmpressZombiKitty said:
darron13 said:
I never knew that, and it seems so strange, but it makes complete sense that they would dream in black and white.

UdderedAvenger said:
Everything happens in third-person, until I engage in sexual intercourse....Yeah, I'm weird.
No, if you mean in your dream you go into first person during sex, that's actually normal for me too. Like, sometimes it'll start out 3rd person, but as it builds, I shift into first-person.
A dream is a narrative in and of itself, we perceive it as a narrative and so we see it in a way that we're used to seeing narratives in.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Its hard to explain. I dream in third person most of the time, but I will jump at times between third person and first person in my dreams.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
As far as recent dreams, (the only ones I can remember) I've been myself and in the first person.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I find that most of my dreams are a bit of both within the same dream. In fact some times I think I actually switch between charecters in the dream but I'm not too sure.
Usually intensely emotional dreams tend to stay in first person with the really wierd ones switching between. I don't think I've ever dreamed completely in third person.

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
Usually third-person (if I can remember the dream, that is). The first-person ones are fun. And sometimes scary.

One of the best first-person dreams I've had was being a survivor in Left 4 Dead. :p

EmpressZombiKitty

Mar 27, 2011
ChickenZombie said:
I feel so lonley, I am only 1 of 7 people who don't dream...
Maybe you do, but when you sleep, you really sleep. Like deep sleep and then you finish your REM cycle and wake up. Dreams are remembered because you are woken up during REM.

Plus, you have 12 other people now.

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
I mostly dream in first person, though I distinctly remember several dreams where I am in third person. Usually those are only when I am something other than myself, like this one dream where I was a duck.