Poll: Do you drink Alcohol?

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
Korten12 said:
Well do you? For me I am underage but I have never thought of the idea of drinking a pleasent one. So I sort of made a early vow to never drink any Alcohol and just stick to Soda. I just like to keep sober as being drunk doesn't seem to be good physicaly or mentally.
If you drink to get drunk and can't handle your liqour, then you should steer clear from alcohol, but if you can drink responsibly there's no reason not to.

Keeping yourself away from all the temptations of life is stupid when you can just develop a few ounces of discipline.

lionheart_1

Mar 18, 2010
I tend to drink according to occasion. If I've just finished a difficult day, I'll have a whisky. If it's a dinner with friends, I'll have a red wine, preferably a cab sav or shiraz, which I'll follow up with a sweet wine, like a botrytis semillion, or port. And if it's a hot day, a cold beer suits me quite nicely.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
My brain is altered enough by birth. Why would I want to alter it more? :-D

Suffice to say, I drank beer once and hated it. Never drank alcohol again.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Never have (unless you count the tiny sips my parents used to give me just so I could know what it tasted like, and I wasn't even curious) and never will.

I'll never be convinced that there is any adequate reason for me to start drinking - and there seems to be plenty of reasons for me not to. And I'm 23 btw. No, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything important.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
Alcohol is best considered a food. I drink for the wide variety of tastes, especially with certain foods, and the mild intoxication that comes with responsible social drinking. I have become something of a connoisseur when it comes to beer and wine, and I can mix a large library of drinks.

However, drinking to get "wasted" is immature and dangerous. Doing that destroys the pleasure of beer, wine, and spirits, in my humble opinion.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Toasty Virus said:
2 years underage, and on a semi-regular basis.

To be honest, people really should TRY alchohol before they get all self righteous and start condemning people (not aimed at anyone here, just in general.)

So yeah, every coupla weekends, mainly cider.

Mmm, pears....
they should do the same thing with weed too.

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
Cheers!

Yeah I drink. Sometimes in moderation, sometime's it's a party. Always responsibly. I've been both the designated driver AND the guy who opted to spend the night on a couch rather than get behind the wheel.

It makes me sad that other people judge me & people like me for the choices we make in having a good time. I'm not about to peer pressure anyone, so why am I a bad guy for doing what I like. Booze is a thing, not a devil. Demonizing it says much more about you than it does about alcohol imo.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I got drunk once, & everything I tried tasted like shit. But what's important is that I had a legitimate excuse for all the people who's faces met my fist that night.

Odradek

Sep 20, 2010
Spot1990 said:
It really has to be done. Personally I just don't think your life's complete if you don't have any stupid shit to look back on and think "WTF was I playing at?"
Aha! I'm giving up on this thread because of the rapid devolution but I think this is both funny, true and key. I'm the child of (mother) a recovering alcoholic and (father) a wine connoisseur. I definitely went through a "oh my god alcohol is evil you are evil if you drink!" phase. Adult children of alcoholics have their own special issues with alcohol... But those are personal issues that can't be projected onto others who are not in the same situation!

BUT! I am an adult (at least twice the age of a good number of y'all, just to out myself) and I have had alcohol once (to be polite when someone made their own wine and I was 15 years old) and I am living high on the hog without it and see no need for it in my future. My sister, older than I, is just the same. Both of us live with partners who drink responsibly. Gray area much?

Instead of comparing alcohol to poison (it is, in certain forms, both poison and nourishment) let's compare it to dog ownership ie: something that can be super fun, part of a cool lifestyle, annoying, dangerous, reasonably decided against or ignored completely...

Responsible/Connoisseur Drinkers = People who love dogs. Spend tons of time with dogs. OWN dogs. They pick up poop, they pay for vet bills and have other potentially annoying stuff to deal with. But hey, they've got a nice doggy friend! They might even breed dogs or go to dog shows. Good for them. Cool hobby/lifestyle!

Alcoholics/Irresponsible Drinker = Dog hoarders. They cannot control the number of dogs in their life. They cannot care for the dogs. The dogs are causing them, their family, their environment & their community harm, possibly even death. Maybe they train these dogs to fight. It's all part of issues of mental illness and in some ways has nothing to do with the dogs... dogs are just the way the illness is expressed.

Non-Drinkers = People who have never owned a dog. Never want to own a dog. Maybe they fear dogs. Maybe they love dogs but they're allergic. Maybe they live in a place where they can't have them or they're too poor to afford a dog. Maybe their grandpa was killed by a dog. Or guess what... maybe they've seen the negative aspects of dog ownership (even if it is JUST picking up dog poop), compared them to the positive aspects (BEST FRIEND!) and made a choice that dog ownership is not for them. Just the way one might choose not to live in the city or ski, even if you'd NEVER tried it.

I want to stand as living, grown-up proof that life without a dog... er... alcohol, even if you don't ever try it JUST ONCE can be a pretty smegging awesome life. I'm a successful artist in a successful long term relationship doing work I love, supporting myself and having tons of fun EVEN though I've lived a sober life. And I have SO MUCH STUPID SHIT to look back on (can't blame it on the booze!) I could fill a book. :)

Then again, my Dad & some of my best friends are cool, responsible drinkers and connoisseurs & I like to discuss booze with them and educate myself. I find beer in particular to be a fascinating topic... it changed the world!

Anyway... Go Escapist Off-Topic forums for getting me on my edumacational soap box again! :p

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
wasalp said:
Toasty Virus said:
2 years underage, and on a semi-regular basis.

To be honest, people really should TRY alchohol before they get all self righteous and start condemning people (not aimed at anyone here, just in general.)

So yeah, every coupla weekends, mainly cider.

Mmm, pears....
they should do the same thing with weed too.
I hear that. About four beers in an hour gives me the same kind of feeling as a hit or two from a vaporizer. Also, brownies.

Doesn't screw me up, doesn't turn me into a horrible person. Same as alcohol if one isn't irresponsible.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
well i did but then i got in a lot of trouble so i stopped. maybe in a while but right now it is not legal for me too

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Sunstrike said:
Grayjack said:
I'm 17, and even if I was 21 I wouldn't drink. I don't see the appeal. Besides, alcohol tastes bad.
What alcohols have you tried? The first beer I had was a corona, which I absolutely hated (mehish towards it now) but then I tried some waterloo dark, guiness, stella artois, as well as a bunch of finer wines.

Seriously the term "acloholic beverage" applies to literally tens of thousands of different taste experience, not all of them bitter.
Wine and some sips from drinks I can't remember. I didn't like the taste.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Zeithri said:
dathwampeer said:
I can't say I wouldn't like it. I probably would. Afterall people take it for a reason. I can on the other hand look at the statistics and say it's a very dangerous drug, even to try once. So I'm going to pass on it.

Dadaaaah!

Logic. It's a ***** aint it.
And oh, don't reply back because I won't be answerin.
Nice "You may be right but it doesn't matter because I am not talking to you" statement

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
I live in Korea and alcohol is used mainly as social lubricant but it is a requirement for most people. My problem is that it is so cheap here. Soju the local vodka is less than a dollar a bottle. because of this it isn't uncommon to see people in their suits passed out on the street or stumbling home/work early in the morning from an all-night drinking party.

Hours are long and to let off steam most people hit the bars. I, like most people who live and work here, rarely eat at home and instead go out and grab a bite to eat and a drink or three. Alcohol is readily available and there is no stigma like there is back home in the states. Like anything else it is just a matter of using your head and not letting it get out of control where it becomes a problem.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Yikes. I was about 6 with my first drink, 15 when I first got drunk.

Come 16, I got black out drunk for the first time. I ruined my friends trash can with puke, and apparently I scared his girlfriend away. Needless to say, I cut back since then. Haven't had a drink since September.

But all I remembered was that I had fun. Definitely have to experience it for yourself.

Edit: It also goes to mention that for a while after my little "phase", I couldn't hold down a sip of any hard liquor. It just left a bad impression on my system.