Poll: Do you feel good about receiving hate mail if it's a reply to you winning or beating someone?

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Back in the old days of call of duty 4 someone on my team was sniping and kept insulting me and complaining that I was kill stealing. Solution? every time I spawn drop a smoke grenade in front of him so he can't see or a few flashbangs to attract enemy snipers.

I have never felt like I have accomplished so much compared to that day.

Slightly more OT: I love it, it makes me feel better about myself as a human (and the accompanying smugness) when I have annoyed someone (see:sore loser) enough to get them to type out the typical unreadable "haxxx!!! u fag!!! omg rreported!!!! i fuked ur mom!!!!" with the xbox controller.

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
SkarKrow said:
CannibalCorpses said:
Yeah, it can be quite funny when someone intelligent insults me but generally it's the generic 'ur gay' nonsense which is usually responded with 'u got beat by a ****** then bro' ;)
Personally I go with "Yeah, well this ****** just beat your ass."

OT: Absolutely love to do it, I like to provoke it to.

Just the other day during a match on Harvest Day - Rush on Bad Company 2 I informed my friend Andy that I was off to revenge kill the attackers UAV pilot, as he had killed me once and been forgiven, but his second kill was blasphemy against our clans aerial dominance with that adorable mini-copter.

And thus I did quest across the entire map, to the first UAV stand, stood behind him, with my knife at the ready beneath my ghillie. I sent him a private message saying "Quiet now boy, let's not turn this rape into a murder."

When I got the due reply of "wtf u talkin bowt fagot?" I stabbed him in the back and stole his teams tank, blew up every other vehicle in their base along with anyone there and fled back with great haste to the defensive line.

The ensuing tirade against me had me and my teammates weeping with laughter.
that is...amazing. good job.

OT: honestly, i've only ever received hate mail once, and it was when AC:Brotherhood came out. now, the guy got mad at me for "running around the map like an idiot and not playing the way it was supposed to be played". now i found this funny for 2 reasons.
1) since i only ever got killed once during that match, despite all the "running around" i did, it was a moot point anyway.
2)the thing he was most mad about would be that the game assigned him as my target multiple times, and again, despite all that "running around", i killed him every time, in different ways.while i haven't gotten since then, mostly because the people i usually meet on XBL are pretty cool, i'll always remember that since it happened while i was on break at college in a room made fore playing games, and i let the entire room listen in on it.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
I can take it or leave it. I mostly get angry messages in dark souls. Pvp with the forest hunters mostly. It's almost always 2v1 so if I manage to destroy them both they really aren't happy!

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
My friends and I love hatemail so much we made a game out of it to play while we played games together!

Rage quits are worth 1 point

Hatemail is worth 2 points

Hatemail made with a mic is worth 3 points

4 points if the hatemail is fucking hilarious

Person with the most points by the end of the night wins. The record is 53 points.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I got hatemail on Demon's Souls all the time. You see, I didn't have a viable secondary weapon for my character. I didn't need one. What did I carry around, you ask? The Scraping Spear. A beautiful weapon, if you ask me. One that chips away 10 durability from every single piece of equipment someone is wearing, even if they block the hit. I never invaded people. But people would constantly invade me. When they invade me, they fight me in MY terms. Which are as follows: You best know how to dodge, and dodge well. Because if you can't, I will chip away at your health with a Scraping Spear and eat away your durability while I'm at it. If you're going to walk into my world to take my life, you're going to take a hefty amount of damage before(if) you take my juggernaut ass down.

(Being a Northern Regalia user, I had no need for any specific stat, so I had lots of endurance and lots of vitality)

People would constantly send me hatemail calling me a noob for using such a weapon, but as far as I'm concerned, you're the noob for letting it actually bother you. A truly powerful opponent would be able to fight me toe-to-toe, even when I turtle them with a Scraping Spear.

The irony in this? More than half of the hatemail I receive is sent WHILE I'm fighting them. They literally stop halfway into the fight to send me the hatemail. Which I take advantage of and slice them up with my Northern Regalia. To which I often get more hatemail from the same person calling me cheap for killing them while they were sending the original message.

My response to this? "Maybe you wouldn't die so quickly if you'd waited until after the fight to send me hatemail. L2Play Demon's Souls and you can challenge me again."

I love angry kids sometimes. Always good for a laugh or two.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Lucane said:
SonicKaos said:
krazykidd said:
I means i'm doing something right , so i like it . UMVC3 player here . I do get the occasiona " sick x-23" which makes me feel even better .
This lol. I play a lot of Marvel, and I tend to play keep away (though I no longer play Morrigan really...). People hate my Deadpool because he's so annoying, so when I get hate mail telling me I'm so cheap or that I'm too scared to fight them, it always makes me happy. It's one thing to win, but to have frustrated someone SO much that they complain even if I lose, it makes me happy. That's my play style, and I can't really change it (I've tried... I'm just not that great at being super offensive) so I just enjoy it.

If people are frustrated, I'm doing it right. Then they're more likely to make mistakes, which makes them even more frustrated.
So you're playing as Deadpool and people you fight are getting annoyed and frustrated? Are you sure you aren't channeling Wade Wilson when you play him?
To be fair his teleport encourages trolling. You ever wait until the other guy uses all of his energy bar to bring out all his guys then immediately teleport behind him? X-factor, ultimate attack, team wipe, rage quit. That's why my friends don't play with me anymore.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Does not happen often as I don't play online to much but being accused of using an aim bot in tribes: ascend was a very proud moment, it is freaking hard to hit people in that game.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
No, not really. I actually feel pity for them for not having any dignity and for taking a video game so seriously as to get pissed off if you lose.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I've been accused of cheating in Age of Empires III many times over the years. Usually they accuse me of "smurfing" or having a second account to pwn noobs on. My account is the only one I have ever owned. I'm not that good really, I just don't play as consistently as other people at my skill level. The game's ranking system makes me look worse than I really am. I don't take advantage of that fact, people just write me off and then get mad when I win because they were expecting an easy victory.

In Battle for Middle Earth II for the Xbox 360 (don't hate lol), the console crowd just was not accustomed to strategy games. They would join ranked matchmaking games and expect their opponents to wait until both players had built their bases, built their armies, and maxed out all their upgrades. In their minds, if you didn't do those things before you started fighting, no one would ever do them lol. On the official Xbox forum for the game a "rusher" was frequently talked down to as badly as a "cheater" or a "dis-connector".

Keep in mind, rushing is the only strategy available in BFME II. Turtling and booming are not viable unless your opponent has a heart attack or something. But if you rushed someone and won, they would submit a bad player review and accuse you of cheating, unsporting play, or the like. Sometimes even people who rushed submitted those bad reviews when they lost, just because they were mad. My Xbox LIVE reputation meter really a took a hit over that game lol.

In retrospect, I feel pretty good about getting accused of cheating for such silly reasons as winning and being good. But I have to admit I was pretty indignant at the time.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I had a great back and forth between one guy because he stabbed me then I stabbed him and this went back and forth for the entire match we would both avoid killing everyone but each other it was a lot of fun, I wouldn't say he was angry the first I thought he was but after another few messages back and forth we both figured out no one was angry but my god we went after each other tooth and nail for those tags.

A less fun message time was one guy that screamed at me for 3 messages because I blew his tank up twice in a row he was under the impression I was cheating because I knew to not run at his tank from the front like he said I should do if I was a real player.

Still it did make me fall out of my chair from laughter once he started getting hoarse from the screaming.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Absolutely love it. This one time I was playing some Halo: Reach at a friends house and we were wrecking the other team. They started to teabag, so we retaliated with the same. After the game I got some message about how we were immature and extremely hostile or something. It continued on after a while so eventually we started to figure out who this kid was in order to scare him. We found his Battlelog account and got his name, general area, and many other things. Eventually we tracked down his high school, dog's name, girlfriend's name, and high school basketball jersey number. After we subtly let him know this, he got much, much less angry and he stopped sending voice messages.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I usually don't care since I have won in some fashion and it's ovbiously someone being an ass but I don't feel good about someone being a tosser to me, I just ignore it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
King of Asgaard said:
I don't get hate mail, at all. I don't play online much, so there's not much opportunity to be hated.
Daystar Clarion said:
I get bonus laughs when they I assume I'm a girl and either insult me, or try and hit on me.
How does that happen?
I thought girls playing video games was supposed to be a legend, not guys.
Well my name is Ashley, which is considered only a girl's name in the US.

So American players will see my profile and just assume I'm a woman.
Hey the protagonist of wild arms 2 was named ashley , so there is seldom a manlier name ... now if you name was jackie , that's another story.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
krazykidd said:
I means i'm doing something right , so i like it . UMVC3 player here . I do get the occasiona " sick x-23" which makes me feel even better .
This, just replace X-23 with Thor.

When I get hatemail, I get happy. I generally send a smiley face [:)]back. If they send another angry message, they get a bigger smiley face [:D]. If they continue, I send a shocked face [:O]. Then if they STILL send me hatemail, I just type out SMILEYFACE, and then I stop replying.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Always fantastic when people get worked up over a game. I usually try to calm them down with good ol' butt ice cream (<3).

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
krazykidd said:
Daystar Clarion said:
King of Asgaard said:
I don't get hate mail, at all. I don't play online much, so there's not much opportunity to be hated.
Daystar Clarion said:
I get bonus laughs when they I assume I'm a girl and either insult me, or try and hit on me.
How does that happen?

Hey the protagonist of wild arms 2 was named ashley , so there is seldom a manlier name ... now if you name was jackie , that's another story.
What about Jackie Chan? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000329/

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
Even if someone insults me online even after I beat them, I still enjoy it because I get a sense of smug self-satisfaction to know that people are whining of their inferiority.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I was hoping for a poll saying "Yes, I feed of other's hatred, and use it to swell into a being of hatred and misory."
Because that's what I do. :p

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Lucane said:
krazykidd said:
Daystar Clarion said:
King of Asgaard said:
Daystar Clarion said:
How does that happen?

What about Jackie Chan? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000329/
I was thinking of him when i wrote that . Poor guy has a girls name ... But he can kick the ass of anyone that laughs at him :/