Poll: Do you finish your games?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I don't finish all of them - some become tedious, some are sandbox games that I don't really play for the story, a few simply get too hard (damn you, Super Mario!).

I have to admit, as I grow older and have less and less time for gaming, I'm beginning to embrace the idea of shorter games. Just make them cost less as well.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
On PS3 and 360 I almost always finish my games, On PC though it's the opposite. Stupid Steam sales. :p

Althus

Sep 24, 2010
The answer to this predicament is very simple, there are to many games today to play and too few time to play them all.
Is this simple, we have to work,sleep and so on and so on, and we have a shit load of games now and so many different games systems its amazing rare that we are able to even finish a game.
But maybe if we had all day time to play we could play all we wont,but never going to happen ever.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The vast majority of them, yes.

However, every now and again one manages to sufficiently bore me that I uninstall it in disgust.

Then it sits on my shelf/Steam list... looking at me.

Watching.

Waiting.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
As a kid/in my early teens I would rarely finish games as I would often get stuck on puzzles that seem piss easy in hindsight. Whilst I still suck at puzzles albeit not as much, I do generally try to finish any game that I purchase if I'm enjoying it and think the end will be worth it. Hell, with short games like Limbo, Portal and the 2 Half Life episodes I'll generally finish in one sitting. Sometimes I'll abandon a long game to finish a short one though, I played roughly 60 hours of Fallout: NV but haven't finished it or even touched it in months. But for the most part yes, if I make it at least to the mid point in a game then I'm determined to finish it.

Althus

Sep 24, 2010
Zhukov said:
The vast majority of them, yes.

However, every now and again one manages to sufficiently bore me that I uninstall it in disgust.

Then it sits on my shelf/Steam list... looking at me.

Watching.

Waiting.
This too, but some times I get crazy and Actually finish a game I got a few years before.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Well firstly, after I voted it was split 50-50 with 28 votes for each.
Secondly, no. There are many games that I do not beat. Alone in the Dark, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Deadly Premonition, and Uncharted 2 are some I can think of lately. Though I beat more games than I do not.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Of course! I don't get why you wouldn't.

Well, there's one that I haven't finished. Rainbow SIx: Vegas. But that's just because I'm stuck on the last level, and I'm stubborn and refuse to bump the difficulty down to Realistic in order to finish.

But yeah, I don't ever buy a game unless it's supposed to be really, really good. I have the $60 price tag to thank for that. Thus, I always finish them, because they're always at least sort of fun, and I just don't have that many games.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I used to fail to complete them in the past, but now I'm having a phase where I'm just going through every single one of my games and completing them 100% if possible. Just finished Fallout 3 with all but three sidequests done from Broken Steel (all other missions and DLC complete), I just have a few Achievements I missed that I'll get the next time I play through the game. I'm onto the recent Alone In The Dark now. Hell, I'm even revisiting my old RTS Total Annihilation and making an effort to actually complete every mission now, seeing as when I used to play it as a kid I found it really difficult and never completed more than the opening missions and would skip ahead to the last few if I lost on another one...

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
Well I try to... But I usually get bored with a game after around 3 days, then move onto something else, then something else, then I'll go "Oh! I should finish that game!" and then the cycle repeats. Unless I take a weekend to play games round the clock, because the unfinished games start chanting "Play mee... Play mee..." in my sleep.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I try to finish most of the games I play. If I don't finish a game it's because it's either become mind-knumbingly boring, unbearably monotonous, or face-smashingly frustrating.

ZetaLegacies

Jun 26, 2011
It depends on the game, there have been rare examples of when a game interests me enough to beat, examples include Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and Infamous.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Depends what you mean by "finish". I can make it to the end credits, if that's what you mean, but getting that 100% completion is a little more tricky because unlocking everything, playing on every mode and jumping through whatever other hoops are expected of me to get that 100% completion take a lot more time than I actually have.

The only games I don't finish are either the ones that don't end (Tetris, Bust A Move 2: Arcade Edition, etc.) or the ones that I haven't even played yet.

Although, my brother lent me Duke Nukem Forever (I didn't even ask for it, but he gave it to me anyway) and that's the only game I couldn't finish. I couldn't even get past the first level because it's just so bad. I honestly laughed my ass off at everything that wasn't supposed to be a joke, like the crappy animation, the way objects would phase through the floor for no reason, the horrible character models and their plasticine arms. I got up to the part in the "Duke Cave" and one of the enemies glitched out when a door closed on them, which led me to just turn the console off out of pity.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Nope, though I do try. Reasons?

-If I'm not having fun, not gonna bother.

-More my fault, but if I got a new game before finishing the older one, I might not get back into it.

-I play more multiplayer based games nowadays, and those can't really be "finished". Hell, I got maybe halfway through the Bad Company 2 campaign, so I sure as hell didn't spend 30 hours on single player.

I have been trying to go back to games I haven't finished to beat them, but that's kinda hard if you haven't played them in a while, you forget controls, what you were doing, what the hell the story is, etc..

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
Most of them but sometimes when a game gets old fast,predictable or boring i skip it, but eventually i would get back to them.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
They guy who wrote the article is suggesting games should be shorter, therefore he should be shot in the head and have his body incinerated, and the ashes thrown in black hole, so everyone will know how really really wrong he was.