Poll: Do you go on dating sites?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Joined OkCupid a while back, but there aren't a lot of people on it and my success rate so far has been a resounding zero, except getting messages from generously-proportioned women who are invariably into anime or normal people who invariably live on different landmasses.

My captcha is the title of a Thom Yorke Album.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
YES

I find it a great way to meet interesting people, in real life I have to bother a woman with a lie about why i'm talking to her (because all I know is that I find this stranger attractive) whereas being able to read a profile means I can find a woman I share interests with and pick my dates by that criteria, which results in a lot more pleasant dates.

People that mock dating sites are usually the weekend crowd who all go out and drink and dance to shit music then sloppily hit on each other like idiots. Sorry if I don't fit in your "scene"

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Doclector said:
No, but I keep getting adverts for them. It annoys me, all it does is remind me that I'm lonely.

Why don't I use them, then? Well, many reasons. Primarily being I like to look someone in the eye when I meet them. I like to use every natural instinctive tool at my disposal to be able to tell whether they're lying to me. Dating sites give people the ability to put on a never-ending smile, effortlessly masking their true intentions. If that picture even is of them anyway...

Also, I'm incredibly hideous. In real life, I seem to have a kind of charm, attitude and wit that, whilst it's never won me a girlfriend, it does make me likeable. On a dating site, where there is only a picture and an "about me" my looks are even more of an issue.

I also get the feeling these sites primarily contain men. Let's face it, even in this day and age, the common internet user is a man. This means there's even more competition, even though I've no doubt I'm more socially able than a lot of internet users (at least, now I am, it was very different a few years ago) but as my last point stated, my social skills are useless here, because they'll scroll past my profile picture faster than a chav runs away when he realises his mates aren't backing him up.
I love your ending analogy, it's so true (about the chavs not you) it's always the small prick who's mouthy isn't it!

What have you got to lose by giving it a go, i'm hardly a heart throb by i've had a few good dates out of them... Whats the worst that could happen? Noone replies? you validate your thesis?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
Doclector said:
No, but I keep getting adverts for them. It annoys me, all it does is remind me that I'm lonely.

Why don't I use them, then? Well, many reasons. Primarily being I like to look someone in the eye when I meet them. I like to use every natural instinctive tool at my disposal to be able to tell whether they're lying to me. Dating sites give people the ability to put on a never-ending smile, effortlessly masking their true intentions. If that picture even is of them anyway...

Also, I'm incredibly hideous. In real life, I seem to have a kind of charm, attitude and wit that, whilst it's never won me a girlfriend, it does make me likeable. On a dating site, where there is only a picture and an "about me" my looks are even more of an issue.

I also get the feeling these sites primarily contain men. Let's face it, even in this day and age, the common internet user is a man. This means there's even more competition, even though I've no doubt I'm more socially able than a lot of internet users (at least, now I am, it was very different a few years ago) but as my last point stated, my social skills are useless here, because they'll scroll past my profile picture faster than a chav runs away when he realises his mates aren't backing him up.
I love your ending analogy, it's so true (about the chavs not you) it's always the small prick who's mouthy isn't it!

What have you got to lose by giving it a go, i'm hardly a heart throb by i've had a few good dates out of them... Whats the worst that could happen? Noone replies? you validate your thesis?
Well, when I fail at anything, I instantly blame myself the worst. No matter how much I try to pre warn myself that it wouldn't be my fault, no matter how much it blatantly isn't my fault, I always blame myself. I don't need that kind of self-insult. I'd rather just hang out in the real world where there's at least some hope that somebody might appreciate who I am instead of what I look like.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Quaxar said:
I'm a 32 year old IT-man who works in a basement.
This is what I imagine your life is like:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's the life I'm currently aspiring to live. (Going to college to become an IT guy.)

Also, that show is amazing. Considering I'm a big fan of both The IT Crowd and Doctor Who, I'd say that the Brits just have TV down to a science.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I don't, but my mom has. She's met some guys up there, but now they're just friends that she communicates with from time to time. I don't know how effective dating sites can really be.

Elidibus

Apr 15, 2011
I used a dating site once. It was E Harmony. They had this free three day weekend and I figured I give it a go after some strange coincidences happened in my life.

I'm a horribly shy person and the worst kind of introvert. I hate going to clubs to "drink and meet women" (besides, there's only men in my city) In fact, I'm not into drinking at all. I don't like social situations, save for when my most important friends are around me. I don't like to talk to people and "break the ice" and I'm much happier if I'm sitting in the back of a room by myself and just observing people.

The slow pace of E Harmony made a lot of sense to me. I even asked one girl out for coffee (who promptly rejected me.)

Then another girl asked to talk to me. She had a wall scroll of Vash the Stampede in the background of her E Harmony photo.

We've been married a little over two years (anniversary was in Feb) and we have a 7 month old little girl.

Sure, a lot of people out there are brave and cool and have lots of self esteem. I didn't think I had any of that. Dating sites provided me with a way I could still meet people through a very slow and controlled method.

And besides. E Harmony boasted a 60-40 split between women and men at the time. Definitely better than any of the clubs around where I lived.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Neonbob said:
OkCupid has gotten me four dates, and my current girlfriend. So you could say I'm a fan of it.
SO THAT'S WHY WE DON'T SEE YOU ANYMORE!

All is made clear eventually! Caught!

Look out guys, Neonbob has cooties now!

[sub][sub]XD[/sub][/sub]

OT: I have not gone on one of those sites yet.
That's actually true :p
I've been away from home for...nearly a week now :D
Shit's awesome!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neonbob said:
Shit's awesome!
She better understand the need to nuke the whales. I fully expect you to give her the launch controls and stare expectantly into her eyes.

[sub][sub]I'm happy for you mate! :D[/sub][/sub]

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Neonbob said:
Shit's awesome!
She better understand the need to nuke the whales. I fully expect you to give her the launch controls and stare expectantly into her eyes.

[sub][sub]I'm happy for you mate! :D[/sub][/sub]
She dooooooooes :)
And I bloody love her!
I'M TAKING HER TO CANADA WITH ME WHEN I COME UP THERE. AT SOME POINT. Yeah.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neonbob said:
I'M TAKING HER TO CANADA WITH ME WHEN I COME UP THERE. AT SOME POINT. Yeah.
Too bad you wouldn't come to this part of Canada. Nothing exciting really happens here.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Didn't Big Brother match citizens up with mates?

Anyways, I'm a reclusive person, but I've been able to manage before. I don't like having a dating site do the work for me.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Honestly, given all the lonely-heart, painfully shy, forever-alone nerds who frequent this forum, if the poll results don't revert to being overwhelmingly in FAVOR of dating sites, then something is seriously fucking wrong with ya'll. It's a tool. Use the tools at your disposal.
Interestingly, I *am* one of those types, and I advocate dating sites... to everyone who isn't me.
I can't bring myself to personally use them, because I feel like I'm just accepting that I'm a failure.
Which is interesting in itself because I normally have no pride anyway, so why should THIS last tendril of vestigial self-confidence hold any sanctity for me?

Seriously. Answers on a postcard.

---
Doclector said:
Oh Gods, but I know that feel [http://i.imgur.com/Lc9MH.jpg].