Poll: Do you hate sexy armor on female characters?

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i don't think revealing "armour" looks /is offensive or exploiting or anything bad (for lack of a better word right now), it's just stupid, and using a bikini-plate in a kinda-sorta medieval setting or sumsuch, assuming the player won't "notice" how that wouldn't make any sense at all does feel a bit like an insult ("oh well, only fat geeks that know and will know women only from their game-posters are actually playing this game so let's add some well protected secondary sex characteristics") - if i want to see a nice midriff or (not-so-well-hidden) tits i can think of many better places to look for them than a game ^^
also, it often has a certain "we don't believe in our product so let's add tits to increase sales" feel about it ;)

so i hate bikini-armour with a passion. kinda. something like that. ok, it's actually more of a "oh, please, not in this game, too"-feeling

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Meh, I'm kind of on the fence on this stuff. I don't like to see pointless and brazen showing of flesh when the character goes into battle as, like many have said, it pulls you out of the reality that you're supposed to be so absorbed in. However, sometimes it can work depending on the background of the character.

Take for example Meru and Shana from Legend of Dragoon.

Meru is a dancer. If she wore too much, she wouldn't be so fast and it would impede her movements and make her less effective.

However, that's just clothing. If we're talking actual armour, you have Shana's dragoon form.

While she doesn't need the speed (despite being able to fly giving her increased speed), the lack of armour on the abdominal area and around her legs gives her less protection, but it's still tasteful and works well.

To sum up, female armour DOESN'T have to be completely covering and can show off the female curvature while not being as bulky as what they put males in, as long as it's done correctly.

On a strange side note, my CAPTCHA is "clothes. luktuff"

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Burrito With Legs said:
I think every female in League of Legends (at least the humans or close-enough-to-humans-that-it-wouldn't-be-illegal-to-hop-in-bed-with) is dressed as sexy as possible. French Maid Nidalee, Leblanc's Christmas skin....
Nidalee and Leblanc aren't supposed to be armoured though, they aren't tanks. Whereas Leona, Poppy and whoever are well armored and it suits them

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Out of 100 comments, I can only imagine that this viewpoint has been brought up already. But in case it hasn't, here's my take on the issue.

It depends on what the focus of the game is. Games like Heavenly Sword and Tomb Raider seem more designed around "look how sexy this action female is!" rather than the actual game itself. Yet a game like Tenchu Z, as an example off the top of my head, has some pretty sexy clothes you can wear if your character is a kunoichi...yet the game doesn't seem to revolve around her being sexy. Most of the time you're too focused on memorizing the paths and timings of the guard's as you build your plan of attack to even notice what you're character is wearing.

So in short, if the game is designed around a sexy character in sexy clothes and the game tends to very much enjoy showing off said sexy character in sexy clothes, then I just call it a bad game. I've always supported the belief that "If all else fails, put a hot chick in the box-art and your game will sell." That said, however, there are indeed plenty of games in which sexy females in sexy outfits exist, however if you find yourself admiring such sexiness a lot less because you're paying attention to the actual game then I think it's a good game that has a sexy female as just some icing on the cake...no pun intended. :p

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Depends. Is it presented in an objectifying way, or not? And no, "objectify" is not just a fancy word feminists use when they want to take away your fap material.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I really don't mind. The thing with sexy Armour is it becomes part of the character, the character is open about their sexuality and doesn't mind expressing it. An example is Bayonetta but when this doesn't fit the character, then it is just bad character design and it makes the game worse but for the most part I can deal with it.

ChaosEternal

Feb 4, 2011
I don't mind it as long as it makes sense. It does not make sense to wear a chainmail bikini. It would make sense to wear form-fitting chainmail armor. One is useless and ridiculous,the other could realistically be there. As long as the outfit is practical and would actually be used, I don't mind.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im cool with armor that has a more feminin appearance when worn by female characters, but I dont care much for the bikini style.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Zhukov said:
[sub](Oh look it's this thread again etc etc...)[/sub]

Context, madam.

Context is everything.

If the game wants me to take it seriously then the ol' chainmail bikinis and whatnot are idiotic. They make as much sense as going into battle wearing clown shoes and a tube dress. For example, Samara in Mass Effect 2. She's supposed to be a vigilante warrior-monk who enters combat on a semi-regular basis. She is presented in a straight faced manner. Yet she wears high heels and a what looks like a swimsuit with pauldrens. As much as I like the character, that visual design is a bad joke. It's not exploitive or offensive, it's silly.

On the other hand, if the game is intentionally over-the-top or tongue in cheek, then I'm fine. For example, I have no problem with any of the character designs in the various Japanese fighting games. Their whole premise is already ridiculous and both the players and developers are fully aware of that. We're talking about games where a roster of invincible caricatures with super powers conduct combative fireworks displays around the world. Sticking the women in sexy outfits does not make that scenario any more ridiculous.

When all is said and done, I've never really seen the point of it. I don't play games to ogle the pixels. Its just not what I'm there for.
Pretty much sums up my opinions. Also on that note, if it is a serious game and you want me to take the game seriously and I play as a female, stop making her boobs giant watermelons. I'd like to be able to create a female in a game that looks more like me (outside of the fallout games). Athletic type of body with decent sized breasts that aren't hanging out and armour that is functional. Not just aesthetically pleasing. I don't mind if the armour is form fitting because that would make some bit of sense. Chain mail bikinis make none at all other than as fan service to boys who can't get laid or just want to idolise women and ogle em.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i dont hate it but it does annoy me, especially when its out of context or when the women in almost no armour have the same resilience as the men covered head to toe. logically fully covered women would act like Space Marine terminators

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Seventh Actuality said:
Depends. Is it presented in an objectifying way, or not? And no, "objectify" is not just a fancy word feminists use when they want to take away your fap material.
I generally agree with this. I also find it interesting how the poll has about the same number of people in each category (with a slight bunching in the middle).

As for a full account of my opinion: I don't mind [sexy]Armor on men or women, but I don't like it when things get ludicrous for either gender. There should be something of a balance, IMHO.

[two cents, thrown]

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
only in proper games.

I'm absolutely fine with revealing armour as long as the game isn't too serious with itself (such as bayonetta, no more heros, etc.)

however other more serious games should have some decency and coverup
(such as Mass Efect, resident evil.)

me and my friends however have a running joke of sheva's red riding hood costume as "little red riding ho'" so it's all good.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
[sub](Oh look it's this thread again etc etc...)[/sub]

Context, madam.

Context is everything.

If the game wants me to take it seriously then the ol' chainmail bikinis and whatnot are idiotic. They make as much sense as going into battle wearing clown shoes and a tube dress. For example, Samara in Mass Effect 2. She's supposed to be a vigilante warrior-monk who enters combat on a semi-regular basis. She is presented in a straight faced manner. Yet she wears high heels and a what looks like a swimsuit with pauldrens. As much as I like the character, that visual design is a bad joke. It's not exploitive or offensive, it's silly.

On the other hand, if the game is intentionally over-the-top or tongue in cheek, then I'm fine. For example, I have no problem with any of the character designs in the various Japanese fighting games. Their whole premise is already ridiculous and both the players and developers are fully aware of that. We're talking about games where a roster of invincible caricatures with super powers conduct combative fireworks displays around the world. Sticking the women in sexy outfits does not make that scenario any more ridiculous.

When all is said and done, I've never really seen the point of it. I don't play games to ogle the pixels. Its just not what I'm there for.

Pretty much this.
OT: I don't care generally speaking. Usually its good for a laugh when you're in a fight with this super deadly boss and they're standing there in a thong and pushup bra. Always makes me smile

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Realistically, it's fucking useless and sexist. In games, it's just sexist. I don't really care if game devs wanna sex up their games with skimpy armor that seems to cover nothing except their T&A, but I don't particularly advocate for it either. But I do question the functionality of such exposing armor. But it is sexy.... *Snaps out of it* I-i mean, um, uh.. It's bad.

Raningwind

Feb 8, 2011
i ignored pretty mush everything but the original post and just want to say that there is a diffrence in "Sexy" and "slutty"
after that its only a matter of oppinion
and thats why some ppl have problems with that.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Basically, I don't like the revealing crap. Armor is armor. It's intention is to protect the body from harm. Having skin showing is essentially like saying "aim here!"

Form fitting is ok, though, as long as it still looks practical. Miranda Lawson's outfit, for example, always looked like it was giving her a wedgie.

Of course this only applies if the game wan't me to take it seriously. If the game is intentionally over the top and stylized, then I don't really have a problem with it.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I don't mind it, But I agree it's unrealistic. The whole chainmail bikini thing is so stupid. It doesn't make sense.
Still looks good though.
What? I'm still male.