Poll: Do you know the words to your national anthem?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So random question, do you know the words to your national anthem?I'm not even sure every country has one. But if you're country has one, do you know it? Do you think it's important to know your national anthem? Do you know any other ( not your own) country's anthem? And could you sing it on demand?

I don't know mine. I only know the first few words of the canadian nathional anthem ( i'm canadian).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I do indeed.

Amhrán na bhFiann isn't the most exciting national anthem but it can be fun to belt it out before watching a match! :3

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Yes, I had to sing it a lot at primary school although the part that isn't in English I would probably misspell if I had to write it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yes, partly from singing it on a bus with mates and partly because I like listening to national anthems, though the British national anthem is hardly difficult to learn due to having usually no more than two verses. I wouldn't say it's important or anything but it's a nice thing to know.

I could manage parts of the American and English translation of the Soviet national anthem, not the whole thing from memory though.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Technically, my national anthem [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_of_Europe] doesn't have words in it (so I picked "other"), but of course I know the German text usually sung along with it. Also I know the anthems of both my nationalities, at least the first verses ("Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit ..." and "Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła ...").

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Yep, I know my anthem in English, French, and the mixed version. Helps that it's a little more simple and has a slower tempo then most though.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yup.

Send her Victorious, Happy and Glourious, Long to reign over us. God Save the Queen.

Second verse is a bit more of a challenge however.

Third verse and you're practically on "Pointless" territory.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountains majesty
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown they good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Oh wait, no, that wasn't right, it's:

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God bless America,
Land that I love,
Stand beside her, and guide her
Through the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home
God bless America, My home sweet home.

Err, no, that's not right either. It's really:

OK, OK, joking aside, I really do know all the words to America the Great [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4XZ-onM50].

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Nnnnnope.

The only bit I know is the "God save the Queen" bit. I've purposely not read the other English reply above me so I don't accidentally learn it.

[sub][sub][sub]Push her inTO the sea. Older than Palpatine. God save the Queen! ...... I think.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
No, not really.
I know bits of it.
We're concerned about saving the queen. I think she's alright though, so perhaps we don't have to worry.

But we don't really get a reason to have a singalong of the national anthem very often. When I was growing up, half the kids I knew thought Rule Britannia was our national anthem, just cause everyone sang it on the last night of the Proms.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Does Greece have the longest anthem or Italy. Because I remember watching a football game and a nations anthem was playing and boy was it long. Not too long but still a lot to remember. Someone correct me.

sky14kemea said:
Nnnnnope.

The only bit I know is the "God save the Queen" bit. I've purposely not read the other English reply above me so I don't accidentally learn it.

[sub][sub][sub]Push her inTO the sea. Older than Palpatine. God save the Queen! ...... I think.[/sub][/sub][/sub]
As soon as you said "God save the Queen", I continued with "the fascist regime". Damn you Sex Pistols.

Jan 27, 2011
I know my Canadian national anthem...

But since I live in quebec, I sing a bizarrely mishmashed version that swaps languages between french and english several times. XD

When you heard it every day in elementary school for 6 years, it kinda gets drilled into your head. :p

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
aegix drakan said:
I know my Canadian national anthem...

But since I live in quebec, I sing a bizarrely mishmashed version that swaps languages between french and english several times. XD

When you heard it every day in elementary school for 6 years, it kinda gets drilled into your head. :p
That's actually one of the three official versions of it (the other two being the obvious all English and all French version).

Having grown up and still living here in Quebec, coupled with my time in the service, it's the one I sing by default to be honest.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
It's kind of hard to not at least have a vague idea of how to sing God Save The Queen, I mean you're only expected to sing the first two verses at most anyway. We don't sing it much, I went to a proper Christian primary school, the school was literally next door to a church and I never want to sing anything ever again. Two or three hymns every morning from the entire school, I learned to hate the one about all of god's creatures cuz it never ended. The teachers were constantly on their shit for anyone just pretending to sing or just keeping their head down too, you were not getting out of it.

I was shocked when I got to secondary school and just flat out was not expected to sing anything for the entire 5 school years, nevermind having to go down the road to church once a month.

I'm not even religious despite it all as well, even then I was waiting for the pin to drop and the teachers to go "this is all metaphorical, just be a decent fucking human being ok?" What's the religion where you don't exactly believe in God but you like Christianity as a way of thinking? I know it has a name, I suppose i'm one of those.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Uh...probably most of them, if you're talking about God Save The Queen. If you're talking about this one, then the answer is an unreserved nope:

Not to be confused with the national anthem of Hong Kong, for those planning a visit.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Akjosch said:
Technically, my national anthem [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_of_Europe] doesn't have words in it (so I picked "other"), but of course I know the German text usually sung along with it. Also I know the anthems of both my nationalities, at least the first verses ("Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit ..." and "Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła ...").
LIES! I think they give each country a version of the German lyrics. I can tell you our version sounds profoundly retarded, at least, because they made us learn it back when we were joining the EU and blah blah.

But we make up for it with a decently badass national anthem.

Evidence [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYCLYCQ2vs].

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
MysticSlayer said:
O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountains majesty
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown they good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
I've said for years that would be a far better anthem than what we have. I hate Star Spangled Banner.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Nope. Ours is God Save the Queen. Though i dont think we have an official anthem? Either way we have the SAS/SBS so who needs god when you have that group protecting you. ;-)

I would think Americans would know their anthem as they have to sing it at football games - well im going by TV. :) But in the UK ive never had to ever sing the anthem.