Poll: do you like punk-rock?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I like the classy punk rockers like Joey Strummer (The Clash), Ian MacKaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat), and more recently Ted Leo. These are guys I respect greatly. The Clash and Fugazi are also up there with my favorite bands. The Sex Pistols were little more than shock rockers with one of the biggest douchebags in music history (Sid Vicious).
Some punk bands I like:
-The Clash (Punk doesn't even accurately describe the majority of their music. Most of it has stronger reggae elements)
-Fugazi
-Minor Threat
-Dead Kennedys (Jello Biafra's voice is incredibly grating, but gosh I love their surf-rock influenced guitar)
-Black Flag
-Fucked Up
-No Age (they're punk to me, I guess this depends on who you ask though)
-Dropkick Murphys

I used to listen to a lot more punk. Now, I'm more into folk, which has a lot of the same ethos but without the ego and douchiness.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
manaman said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
Those bands where not even punk rock. They had pop punk roots. Listen to bands like Blondie, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, Buzzcocks, Patti Smith, Johnny Thunders, The Clothes, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Misspent Youth, and The Clash. Those where punk bands and sound nothing like your above named bands, and all where around when the roots of what was punk rock where laid down.

Hardcore punk took the place of punk in the US, With bands like The Misfits, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and I could go on, but you are getting the idea.

Blink 182 was never really more then a pop almost punk band while popular. Greenday was a hardcore/pop punk band until they reached megastar status, they lost the angst and are pretty much an emo band now. Sum 41 was always more of an alternative rock band then a Punk band. I see them with the label from time to time so I must assume some of their stuff reaches into the punk rock genres, just not anything I have heard from them. Not saying these are bad bands, just wanted to give everyone an idea so they didn't start saying their least favorite emo band was horrible and therefor punk rock is horrible. You kids these days seem to have no idea what real punk rock is/was.

If you lot can't tell I am big fan of Punk, and Hardcore, with some tastes leaning towards Psychobilly, Ska Punk, Folk punk, Celtic punk, pop punk, Oi!, Horror punk, and Grunge.
Psychobilly, Ska, and good old fashioned punk-punk are all awesome. You may continue.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
It's always been punk for me! Not exclusively, mind you, but I have always been a fan since I first heard Ghoti Hook's album BananaMan.

CowboyfromHell666

Jan 14, 2010
open trap said:
Punk rock was the first type of music i liked, then came a little angel i like to call HEAVY METAL!
Hell yea man! I just went straight into metal

OT: I don't exactly listen to punk, but I don't hate it at all

madcap2112

Jun 4, 2009
manaman said:
Listen to bands like Blondie, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, Buzzcocks, Patti Smith, Johnny Thunders, The Clothes, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Misspent Youth, and The Clash. Those where punk bands and sound nothing like your above named bands, and all where around when the roots of what was punk rock where laid down.
An excellent list. If I might add a couple more, MC5 and the Stooges. No punk rock list is complete without them.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Eh, punk is fine. If it's good I'll listen to it.

And I prefer the Ramones out of any other punk band.

UnityRiot

Mar 11, 2010
Punk, Hardcore, Pop Punk, old, new, it all comes from the same ideas.

I like Minor Threat, Alkaline Trio, Operation Ivy, Paint it Black, The Loved Ones, Jawbreaker, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Rancid0ffspring said:
I raise your Creepshow with one Horrorpops. Not amazing but at last worth checking out... & of course the front woman is well HAWT. They got some really good songs, but can be quite hit & miss
I like The Creepshow, and I like The Horrorpops, The Nekromantix made me fall in love with psychobilly and Tiger Army introduced me to it. Sadly through it is hard to find new bands in genres like that, more a word of mouth thing for me to find new bands I like.

Also you defiantly want to check out SLC Punk. It was a great movie. Showed all the glory and faults of the Punk ideologies at the hight of the scene.

madcap2112 said:
manaman said:
Listen to bands like Blondie, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, Buzzcocks, Patti Smith, Johnny Thunders, The Clothes, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Misspent Youth, and The Clash. Those where punk bands and sound nothing like your above named bands, and all where around when the roots of what was punk rock where laid down.
An excellent list. If I might add a couple more, MC5 and the Stooges. No punk rock list is complete without them.
Good picks, that list was in no way supposed to be complete through, just some really good bands off the top of my head that give a good idea of how punk rock got its start.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
I love punk-rock. Blink 182 is awesome!

Anyway...
Riobux said:
All that depends on your definition of punk. Bad Religion is a band I'd call proper punk and they aren't so much about anarchy but about thinking about what we're doing to our planet, how it could be improved, what the function of religion currently is and should be in it and how to keep an open mind for different thoughts.

blah_ducks

Dec 21, 2009
I'm a metal head myself, so I haven't listened to punk enough to know the core of the genre. Therefore, I choose the "polite brushing off" option. In my opinion, you can't hate a genre if you don't know its core because -usually- the mainstream stuff sucks. So if I assume Green Day is the poster-boy for Punk, I'd be doing that type of music a huge injustice. And while we're on mainstream, why the fuck is Punk in the mainstream? I know enough about punk that it's a genre for the underground like its heavy metal brethren.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I like the Misfits, but that's where it ends for me in all honesty.

Got into Iron Maiden and metal in general. Punk music tends to bore me as well.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
NO...

These bands are POP punk. Music that appeals to litle girls & teeny boppers. Green day back in their hay day were more punk rock than they have become nowadays. Rancid again were very punk but are no longer really respectable. You want real Punk rock? Look up Anti-nowhere League, UK Subs, Operation Ivy & The Exploited.

Thats Punk rock

EDIT:
SonicKoala said:
Dead Kennedy's Hell yeah! Gunna make a point of looking up the other bands on principle... TA chuck
Green Day and those other guys made punk fairly mainstream. Unfortunately, yes, they were sell outs, but without their help, punk would probably as underground as pirate metal. The Dead Kennedy's made the song Pull My String to make fun of the Knack, a once punk band that sold out. (i.e. "My Sherona" band.)

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I've always considered all of those bands to be very pop-punk. I don't mean to be offensive, I just find such a stark difference of opinion somewhat funny.

OT:

Hell yeah. I listen to: ska-punk, folk punk, post punk, pop punk, indie punk, hardcore punk, street punk, Oi! (from before it was predominantly racist), crossover and pure punk rock!

Also I think Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters to ever live, but that's another story for another thread.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
Also I think Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters to ever live, but that's another story for another thread.
He and Tom Waits.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
There's some good punk out there. Bad Religion, the Dead Kennedys, Dropkick Murphys, the Offspring, Green Day's older stuff, from before they had their balls surgically removed. And I listen to a lot of punk-influenced bands. Thrash metal has punk influences (readily apparent if you listen to Anthrax), and a lot of bands that are considered alternative rock (Three Days Grace, Billy Talent, Smile Empty Soul) have some mild influences, although they're more similar to the pop punk of the 90s.