Poll: do you like punk-rock?

Tinneh

New member
Oct 10, 2009
1,059
0
0
Daystar Clarion said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
Those 3 bands are punk-rock, not really true punk like the Sex Pistols, the Buzzcocks, the Clash etc.
What he said, I prefer the good kind of punk rock.
 

Tinneh

New member
Oct 10, 2009
1,059
0
0
Tinneh said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
Those 3 bands are punk-rock, not really true punk like the Sex Pistols, the Buzzcocks, the Clash etc.
What he said, I prefer the good kind of punk rock.

EDIT: My roommate says that she likes the old-school punk because the lead singer of the Sex Pistols had a sexy singing voice.
[sub]Yeah, really.[/sub]

EDIT EDIT: Double post! Sorry!
 

2012 Wont Happen

New member
Aug 12, 2009
4,286
0
0
Riobux said:
I'd say as a genre of music, it depends on the band. I like bands like Dead Kennedys but hate bands like The Transplants.

As a scene, it's a joke. It's something to laugh with friends about. They glorify anarchy in a capitalist society that controls it's population pretty tightly for large amounts of cash. It's hard to go on about corporate hate when you're part of a large corporate label. Personally, Dead Kennedys is as close as it gets to a pure punk spirit and even that has been washed away.

You have Iggy Pop in insurance adverts and you have Johnny Rotten advertising butter, two, what some consider, grandfathers of punk music getting involved in things they preached against. It's hypocritical. Modern punk is even worse as you either have people being stereotypically punk for money (e.g. Anti-Flag) or you have people who lost the message a while ago and you question why is it given the label of punk (e.g. The Transplants and Green Day).

So the scene is, essentially, a joke. A hypocritical scene that doesn't know what it wants while exploiting impressionable youth for money. Yes, people like rooting for the small man against corporations, David vs Goliath, but don't put on a little play for the kids when you're really friends. Off the top of my head, I'd say The Offspring is the only band that has done something I could consider "punk-like". Hell, you could consider Nine Inch Nails more punk than Green Day for crying out loud, since Trent has done more anti-corporate stuff than everything everyone in Green Day has done, put together.
Anti-Flag went through a brief spell on major labels, but are recording independent again. Not really something you do "for money".

As for Green Day, they are libertarians: would be anarchists who like the laissez faire and the legalized drugs, but on second thought aren't so keen on the idea of getting rid of the police that protect them.

A lot of punk bands have never been on major record labels. Dropkick Murphys is one. NOFX is another. These are two of the biggest names in punk rock today, and many other famous punk bands are the same way.

So, the punk scene is there. You're just looking in the wrong direction.
 

ultracheeser

New member
Jul 2, 2009
348
0
0
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.

none of those bands are punk.
Some used to be though.
 

ultracheeser

New member
Jul 2, 2009
348
0
0
Rancid. Got to love Rancid.
You need to put "UP THE PUNX" in the poll.
but yeah, I like punk rock. Punk and Ska. Big D or Reel Big Fish.
 

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
341
0
0
True punk is dead, mate.

The Sex Pistols live on as my all time favourite band though. Bloody hell, I even saw them in concert. Before you ask, Johnny Rotten has gotten old and it was the most amazing day of my life.
 

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
922
0
0
Punk isn't exactly my favourite genre buuuut,
I do love a bit of Rancid & the Misfits.
 

Xelanath

New member
Jan 24, 2009
70
0
0
manaman said:
As for Sum 41. No I really haven't, everything I heard from them sounded kinda like a mix of hardcore and emo, commercialized up, and didn't appeal to me.
You clearly know a fair bit about music, but I'm bemused by your bashing of "emo". Surely with your knowledge of hardcore, punk and hardcore punk you know about "real emo".

I don't mean to get into a debate, since it's even further off-topic, and I hope I don't sound ridiculously pretentious; the issue just stood out for me when I read your first big post.
 

manaman

New member
Sep 2, 2007
3,218
0
0
Xelanath said:
manaman said:
As for Sum 41. No I really haven't, everything I heard from them sounded kinda like a mix of hardcore and emo, commercialized up, and didn't appeal to me.
You clearly know a fair bit about music, but I'm bemused by your bashing of "emo". Surely with your knowledge of hardcore, punk and hardcore punk you know about "real emo".

I don't mean to get into a debate, since it's even further off-topic, and I hope I don't sound ridiculously pretentious; the issue just stood out for me when I read your first big post.
I don't mean to sound like I am bashing the music itself, more the ridiculous culture that goes along with it.

I know what I really like and I have branched out from there. Now maybe I stopped branching out in the direction of emo because of some bad initial picks. Should you have any good recommendations you want to pass along I am wouldn't mind giving them a chance at all.
 

Doomdiver

New member
Mar 30, 2009
236
0
0
Personaly punk is my favourite genre. But at the same time I hate the stereotypes often associated. Look at Greg Graffin, lead singer from Bad Religion. He does not abide by any of the stereotypes. I do enjoy music from punk rock bands that do fit your stereotypical drug abusing, police hating punk rocker however there is much, much more to the genre than most people have unfortunately been led to believe.

A song that sums up my feelings about the modern punk "scene" quite well is Davey Destroyed the Punk Scene by Anti-Flag, who are a great example of punk still being alive and well in my opinion.

Generally today to get good punk you need to avoid the big four record labels like the plague. Occasionally you get good bands there but most of it is generic crap. Fat Wreck Chords and Epitaph records are a good place to start if you are looking for the better, lesser known punk bands in my opinion. There are good bands out there from all subgenres of punk be it hardcore, post-hardcore, ska or even pop-punk. You just need to look.
 

yoshimickster

New member
Feb 5, 2010
140
0
0
I'm a fan of circus punk myself actually. Ever heard of World Inferno Friendship Society? Well you have now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onrklAlfDIE
 

Riobux

New member
Apr 15, 2009
1,955
0
0
2012 Wont Happen said:
Riobux said:
Anti-Flag went through a brief spell on major labels, but are recording independent again. Not really something you do "for money".

As for Green Day, they are libertarians: would be anarchists who like the laissez faire and the legalized drugs, but on second thought aren't so keen on the idea of getting rid of the police that protect them.

A lot of punk bands have never been on major record labels. Dropkick Murphys is one. NOFX is another. These are two of the biggest names in punk rock today, and many other famous punk bands are the same way.

So, the punk scene is there. You're just looking in the wrong direction.
I probably am to be honest, but it doesn't really help that punk is such a general term. I've never heard about Green Day being considered as libertarians though, that's new for me.

I'll be honest and say that I was evaluating it along the lines of if a band seems to actually support anarchy and anti-corporations. While you're right that some bands I may of bashing needlessly like Bad Religion and Rise Against who are very into the environment and other moral things, and maybe Green Day could be considered punk but in terms of corporations, they seem very into those since they could make a lot of money.

However, I do think punk has turned into some label bands almost needlessly apply to themselves while faking a punk life style just so they can get money.
 

2012 Wont Happen

New member
Aug 12, 2009
4,286
0
0
Riobux said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Riobux said:
Anti-Flag went through a brief spell on major labels, but are recording independent again. Not really something you do "for money".

As for Green Day, they are libertarians: would be anarchists who like the laissez faire and the legalized drugs, but on second thought aren't so keen on the idea of getting rid of the police that protect them.

A lot of punk bands have never been on major record labels. Dropkick Murphys is one. NOFX is another. These are two of the biggest names in punk rock today, and many other famous punk bands are the same way.

So, the punk scene is there. You're just looking in the wrong direction.
I probably am to be honest, but it doesn't really help that punk is such a general term. I've never heard about Green Day being considered as libertarians though, that's new for me.

I'll be honest and say that I was evaluating it along the lines of if a band seems to actually support anarchy and anti-corporations. While you're right that some bands I may of bashing needlessly like Bad Religion and Rise Against who are very into the environment and other moral things, and maybe Green Day could be considered punk but in terms of corporations, they seem very into those since they could make a lot of money.

However, I do think punk has turned into some label bands almost needlessly apply to themselves while faking a punk life style just so they can get money.
There's definitely some abuse of the label punk. A lot of pop punk bands use it, and some bands that are just straight pop use it too.

As for Green Day being libertarian, I know the Billie Joe Armstrong is. As their lead singer and, I believe, principle songwriter, I project his beliefs onto the rest of the band. That's not necessarily true though because I am a socialist lead singer and one of the guitarists in my band is simply very liberal. So they aren't necessarily all libertarians. As a libertarian, I figure Armstrong is probably very pro-corporation, as libertarianism includes laissez faire capitalism.
 

ace_of_something

New member
Sep 19, 2008
5,995
0
0
I have a vast punk collection and yes, once upon a time, was even in a band or two myself always been straight edge though not a dick about it. I've just always liked the sound never really worried about messages too much. Mostly because there's a lot of different messages despite what people think.

FYI: Ska band called Oedipus and the Momma's Boys and a punk-punk band called The Royal Something Family. This is where my login name comes from, We were Jack, Queen, King, Ten, and Ace Something as pseudonyms... it wasn't my idea but I used the name as an email address and that's all she wrote.

When we got to play at Vans (on the local group stage) this allowed us to go backstage into the camp where I got to meet many members of Bad Religion, NoFX and Anti-flag. (Anti-Flag members were not preforming that year just a few of them crossed paths with the tour and were hanging out for two or three performances)
Greg Graffin is one of my personal heroes. Also, he is one of the first people I ever met who within five minutes was able to tell and maintain the difference between me and my twin brother with no problems. This is a big deal.
It was the 2nd greatest day of my life.

doomdiver_16 said:
Personaly punk is my favourite genre. But at the same time I hate the stereotypes often associated. Look at Greg Graffin, lead singer from Bad Religion. He does not abide by any of the stereotypes. I do enjoy music from punk rock bands that do fit your stereotypical drug abusing, police hating punk rocker however there is much, much more to the genre than most people have unfortunately been led to believe.

A song that sums up my feelings about the modern punk "scene" quite well is Davey Destroyed the Punk Scene by Anti-Flag, who are a great example of punk still being alive and well in my opinion.

Generally today to get good punk you need to avoid the big four record labels like the plague. Occasionally you get good bands there but most of it is generic crap. Fat Wreck Chords and Epitaph records are a good place to start if you are looking for the better, lesser known punk bands in my opinion. There are good bands out there from all subgenres of punk be it hardcore, post-hardcore, ska or even pop-punk. You just need to look.
I can't believe you didn't mention operation ivy in some way. Just given the icon.
 

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
3,373
0
0
Ugh...punk rock was a movement, not a genre...

I listen to lots of Green Day, Rise Against and My Chemical Romance, who are supposed to be pop punk, hardcore punk and post-punk respectively. I don't know what any of that means, I just like the music.
 

AgentNein

New member
Jun 14, 2008
1,476
0
0
Rancid0ffspring said:
Main focus being when they talk about reggae melding with punk to become ska. Incredible scene
Sadly it's historically inaccurate. Ska came before reggae. Ska was around in the 40s as a reaction to American R&B. It actually birthed reggae. 2nd Wave (2tone) ska started mixing with punk rock in the 80s, and 3rd wave ska is really just punk with horns, and entirely too toothless.
 

AgentNein

New member
Jun 14, 2008
1,476
0
0
Riobux said:
I'd say as a genre of music, it depends on the band. I like bands like Dead Kennedys but hate bands like The Transplants.

As a scene, it's a joke. It's something to laugh with friends about. They glorify anarchy in a capitalist society that controls it's population pretty tightly for large amounts of cash.
Punk and political ideologies such as faux-anarchy aren't tied together intrinsically. Some of the best punk bands wrote completely apolitical stuff. It was more a visual/musical artistic movement than anything else.

You know, I think the confusion comes from the fact that a lot of these punk-revivalist bands got the idea that punk started and ended with bands like Crass. There was a band that stuck to their guns, too bad they're completely horrible with no sense of humor or asthetics or pop sensibilities to speak of.
 

reg42

New member
Mar 18, 2009
5,391
0
0
I don't like the shit people are calling punk nowadays, but give me some NOFX or The Clash anyday.