Poll: do you like punk-rock?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Punk rock is okay. It's hit-or-miss in my books and most of what I heard is little better than average. But I still like a bit of Sum 41 on occasion and I have a couple of punk and punk rock covers of metal songs on my MP3 so I clearly don't hate the genre.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
I listen to a fair share of punk. Dead Kennedys, Dropkick Murphys, Cocksparrow, Bad Religion, The Clash, Flogging Molly (punk:ish folk music if you will), Sex Pistols etc.

Though im more of a metalhead than a punk-fan really. But the truth of it all is that I have a varied taste. I listen to many things...

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.
You never were into punk if those are they only punk bands you can list.

Pop Punk is nothing at all like Punk.
Riobux said:
Just because your local scene is a joke doesn't mean it all is. Some punks still take the message very seriously.

Besides I think there's a difference between people who are punk aesthetically and people who are punks ideologically,you're being critical of the former.

OT: Musically, I like some of it. Not my forte' but there are a few select tracks that I absolutely love.
Aesthetically, artwise, eh. Some of it's good and I've seen some notable tags around town, but it's really not my taste. Fashion, not a fan at all. With the exception of the hardcore aesthetic. All others look silly when taken to extremes to me.
Ideologically, I agree on some points, but to me, it's incredibly flawed and backwards.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Green Day punk? no.

Crass punk? now we're talking...

although I'm into anything rockish to be honest.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
[
EClaris said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only punk bands i considered PUNK were Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. But i've grown out of Punk and moved on.

Hate to play devil's advocate here to bands like Sum 41, Green Day and Blink 182, but tell The Ramones that pop punk is nothing at all like punk.

Honestly, pop sensibilities have always been tied to rock and roll. And punk rock is essentially an update to rock and roll. Pop isn't a four letter word, the problem with bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41 is not that they incorporate these sensibilities, but that they take any of the bite out of it.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Sun Flash said:
Green Day punk? no.

Crass punk? now we're talking...
Crass completely missed the point. They weren't punk, they were neo-hippies, living in their commune and making shitty music.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
AgentNein said:
[
EClaris said:
SnootyEnglishman said:

Hate to play devil's advocate here to bands like Sum 41, Green Day and Blink 182, but tell The Ramones that pop punk is nothing at all like punk.

Honestly, pop sensibilities have always been tied to rock and roll. And punk rock is essentially an update to rock and roll. Pop isn't a four letter word, the problem with bands like Blink 182 and Sum 41 is not that they incorporate these sensibilities, but that they take any of the bite out of it.
I stand corrected. Although I do realize that the Ramones were very poppish (as a lot of earlier punk bands sound to me at least) I always equated that with the natural porgression of the genre (ie rock from the 50s compared to rock from the 70s)

Those bands still have the pop sound when the genre has evolved, so I just classify them differently. Just stating my logic behind the assertion, not try to rile up a "RAWR u insultin' punk0rz"