Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, I'm Irish, but I've lived in England since I was 11 so I'm sort of English. I don't hate them, or like them. I won't watch the wedding because I don't care, but hey, free day off.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Well I certainly don't have any animosity to the royal family members in particular, infact I actually quite like Harry and his attempts to fight in Afghanistan. I disagree with the concept of royalty on a fundamental level. Being an Australian republican, I'm particulary annoyed that th Queen of England is our country's head of state, rather than an Australian I can choose.

The way I see it, Prince William is possibly a better person than me because of his education, physical fitness, attractiveness and finiancial wealth. But NOT because he's vaguely descended from a French invader almost a thousand year ago.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Jedihunter4 said:
It's a constitutional monarchy which means, they have no real effect on how they government works but the queen signs off on every law that is past so that theoretically if the government ever tried to do something like turn us into a dictatorship she could refuse to sign off on it an draw attention to it in terms of goverment that's all they do

They also act as figure heads, have official dutys, charity workers, diplomats and then all the historical reasons and general patriotism.'I've written more in my other posts but u get the idea, if u wiki it I expect there is allot abbot there as everything they do every penny they are given an spend is published and justified so that ever time they do get someone Who is like they do nothing an get money they just show them the figures and everything they do, an they are pretty convincing, even if u hate them personally if u have seen the figures an the work they so u can't really argue with the figures an stats
Thanks.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
I'm still unclear what their continued existence offers.

What exactly do they do?

Keeping tradition if I remember correctly. Thats about it.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I don't mind them and I'm not from the UK. But to be honest, I can't help but feel sorry for Kate Middleton. I can't exactly grasp why, but I just feel that way.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
From Canada... and me, along with everyone else I know, doesn't really give a damn about them.

We run our own government now, so if the royal family does not interfere, I could care less about what they do.

Zizzousa

Nov 30, 2010
I really, really dislike them. There are a whole host of reasons, but since we're concentrating on the wedding, I don't tend to pay attention to the weddings of people I've never met, and nor do I enjoy paying for the weddings of people I've never met.

Also, the Royal Family don't think bartenders are people. You know this 'everyone gets a day off! Wahey!' schtick? Yeah, well, great, the whole country does get a day off - APART from we bartenders, who have to work an extra hour. Thanks guys!

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
meh, they're alright.

Tradition is fine, consistency in rule of law is a good thing. They can stay.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Zizzousa said:
I really, really dislike them. There are a whole host of reasons, but since we're concentrating on the wedding, I don't tend to pay attention to the weddings of people I've never met, and nor do I enjoy paying for the weddings of people I've never met.

Also, the Royal Family don't think bartenders are people. You know this 'everyone gets a day off! Wahey!' schtick? Yeah, well, great, the whole country does get a day off - APART from we bartenders, who have to work an extra hour. Thanks guys!
Well, you could have a day off if you wanted, but your bosses want to make money. Pubs will earn a mint on that day.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Positives:
- It's wonderful to be a member of the royal family (for those 1/100,000,000,000 people who are a member of the royal family)

Negatives:
- Worthless tax drain
- Ultimate example of undeserved privilege
- People worship them like they actually mean something
- Are only ever mentioned when there is a wedding, death or public scandal

Verdict:
Shit. "One gun salute" recommended.
2/10

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i dont care. and i think once the queen dies no one will care about her grandchildren as much.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
PhiMed said:
Their fame comes from the fact that they are directly descended from the people who did all of the things I named. Royalty is what it is. A group of people, related to each other, who believe they're better than the entire rest of the world because of the gametes from which they sprang, and act accordingly.

Piss on all of them.
I wonder if any of your family was ever involved in the slave trade.
Probably not, but if they were, I wouldn't base an entire institution around bragging about it. And I certainly wouldn't announce, "My ancestors were complete pieces of shit! For this reason, you must pay for me to continue to exist!"

Therefore: me >>> the royals.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
Your poll isn't exactly unbiased. My feelings about the royal family are closer to ideological opposition than simply not caring for them.

wowthisishard

Mar 11, 2009
As an American, I find the concept of a royal family utterly repulsive (for reasons others have elaborated on better than I could hope to). I already hate my culture's worship of worthless celebrities (pro-athletes, actors, heirs to large corporations, etc.) and I can think of nothing more useless than state-sponsored celebrities (regardless of uses supporters of the royals claim them to have).

That all being said, I don't think they're necessarily bad people. Assuming they aren't just PR moves, the fact that they support charities and seem to have a desire to serve their country does a good deal to distance themselves from the tyranny of their ancestors.

If I were British, I'd probably be for lopping their heads off, but, as an American, I just never want to hear about them ever again.

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
Pigeon_Grenade said:
brendonnelly said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
CarlMinez said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
CarlMinez said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
as a Canadian, i like them alot
I didn't know Canada was a part of the british empire
yes we are, why during both world wars, the Moment Britain declared war, we went to war with her, as per the fact all Colony's under British rule did, our Governor General is a Representative of the queen
So did australia right?

Anyway, I've always been interested in british culture. Been in London twice :)
as far as i remember Australia is also part of the British empir
Hence the union jack on our flag
well i wasent gonna say anything Without the right Answer, because i Honestly dont know off the top of my Head Which parts of the world Still Consider itself a British Colony, Besides Canada And Now Australia
We aren't a British Colony, just a member of the commonwealth.
Miles000 said:
brendonnelly said:
Miles000 said:
I know that they can kick the current Australian government out if they are failing........

.....well......

......I'm waiting.
Don't you remember the Whitlam debacle!? If they did that again, they would certainly lose any power they still have over Australia (not much)
Bit before my time but I did google it.

Spose your right. As it is we are on the verge of becoming a republic.
Im only 16, we learnt it in year 10 history; besides I thought it was fairly common knowledge it was a big event.
And I wish we were that close, but it would require a referendum and Australia is notorious for voting down referendums.
They reckon after Elizabeth II dies, we'll try again, but even then there will have to be a grace period to stop people feeling bad for voting yes.