Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
With Prince Williams wedding come up, literally not a day has went by where something about it has been in the news here in the UK
and there have been some other stupid stuff like an american made tv film, and even more weirdly... themed condoms?!
http://www.genepuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/crown-jewels.jpg

Anyway so onto the question, does anyone here actually give a crap about the royal family? And also if you're from the uk or not... sometimes it seems like Americans like our Royals more than us.

If you havent been able to tell, personally i dont like them.. but oh well.

EDIT: okay, so far there's been about 6 pages split almost equally between:
Yeah they're great, they bring in tourism, they're ambassadors, they do charity work.

I dont really care (mainly people who arent from the UK)

and finally, No they suck, generally the reason being that actually having a monarchy is undemocratic and many people feel they're a wast of space.

So what im now going to say is, Personally i think the actual institution of a monarchy is incredibly fascist, the fact that one bloodline rules the country pretty much sums up what is wrong with the country.. and its the same with our prime ministers, Im almost certain all of the prime ministerial candidates at the last election went to eton college, and then oxford to study the same degree. Nick clegg got fast tracked into politics because of his dads position. The top 2 candidates for the leader of labour are brothers... Our country is ruled by the upper class, whether we have a monarchy or not, so either way its BS

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Being a fat person from America, I know very little about them. So I guess I don't mind them. They haven't given me a reason to not like them.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
They're okay. I don't follow their lives that much, those prince guys in particular seem pretty interesting. One of them dressed up as a Nazi, which I found hilarious.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I don't mind them (being American), but if I lived in the UK I'd be pissed as hell that a bunch of people, who's only claim to fame is their bloodline and an outdated, almost extinct culture, are living (literally) like royalty on my tax dollars (or pounds, as the case may be).

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I think the Queen's been a pretty good figurehead for the country...
It's a shame that most of the others are pretty insufferable, especially Prince Philip and Prince Charles. Terrible people to be representing the country. I really don't like the Royal Family as whole though. I only see them as a waste of taxpayer's money, to be honest.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
They cost the Canadian tax payer every time they visit and they aren't very involved here. I consider them like I suppose my Dad considers my uncle: an expensive, unwelcome guest that we're obligated to host once and awhile.

I'm sure they're nice people, just pay for your own hotel and stuff.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
As long as they earn more than they cost, they're fine by me.

AccursedTheory said:
I'm still unclear what their continued existence offers.

What exactly do they do?
All the formal-but-without-power heads of state duties (shake some people's hands occasionally), and serve as a tourist attraction.

And they do provide jobs and stuff through existing.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I'm a sucker for hearing stuff about Kings and Queens, Princes and Princesses, so yeah I love the Royal Family. I blame a childhood of growing up on fantasy tales of Kings and Knights riding out to stop evil.

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
AccursedTheory said:

What exactly do they do?
They do nothing. absolutely nothing.
Actually they act as very expensive ambassadors/diplomatic people, keeping relations with other countries good.
Except Prince Charles. Long live the Queen is all I'll say on that matter.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Irish citizen. Don't give a shit. Will never give a shit.

AccursedTheory said:

What exactly do they do?
I'm not sure. Sit around and be famous, I think.

I mean, I suppose they have a bit of political significance. Meeting the queen is a huge deal, arguably bigger than meeting the prime minister. But they don't actually make any decisions or have any say in anything.
They're sort of like an artifact. If that even makes sense.

MinimanZombie

Apr 8, 2011
AccursedTheory said:

What exactly do they do?
As a Brit I can answer. Next to nothing. Prince Williams tried to join the Army but because it became public he couldn't. I think the Queen approves laws, but apart from that their just for show. So we can say that we have a Royal family and laugh at the other countrys that don't. Lovely isn't it?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AccursedTheory said:

What exactly do they do?
They provide a national image to the world that isn't our past/current/future Prime Minister.

That alone is worth billions...

PS.
Charley Big Ears has made it his life's work to lobby for various charities and raises many, many millions a year doing so.
William big ears is a serving RAF search and Rescue pilot.
Harry big ears has fought in Afghanistan and is doing something flying based now.

As royal families go, they aren't completely useless, but then neither do they justify the enormous amount of money they suck massively well.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I think that the whole Prince Charles/Camilla thing was a bad move, and has been handled badly, but I like the queen, the Duke of Edinburgh's racist shenanigans are always comedy gold, and I hope William and Kate will be good figureheads, if they can get the whole next in line to the throne thing sorted.

meece

Apr 15, 2008
Politically I'm a total monachist as a counterbalance to parliment - the best elements of a dictatorship and democracy in the same state....sadly it's not like that. Nor would people allow it to work because they're all assholes.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Your mention of this "Prince William" person is the first I've heard about the British royal family since the death of Princess Diana. I have no idea where that leaves me in the poll options.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
I really don't give a shit. It's somebody who's only famous for being born getting married to some **** who's only famous for getting married to somebody who's famous.

It's stupid.