Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
theComposer said:
I don't mind them (being American), but if I lived in the UK I'd be pissed as hell that a bunch of people, who's only claim to fame is their bloodline and an outdated, almost extinct culture, are living (literally) like royalty on my tax dollars (or pounds, as the case may be).
I'm from the UK, and to be honest I don't mind them. I imagine they bring in just about as much revenue as they cost through tourism etc (though if it was proved they didn't I wouldn't be happy!) and in general they give us a little something special. The queen is a fine figurehead who does us proud, though I shudder to think about the one replacing her. They are all quite eccentric in a passive way, and they do not interfere in any aspect of my daily life (except forcing holidays on us... my employer is furious about the wedding!!). I can deal with that!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I will continue to not give a shit... (UK btw)

I like seeing the Daily Express continue with the whole Diana thing though, it's pretty funny to see how long they can keep it up XD

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
Jim Grim said:
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.
Hardly expensive. They cost around 60p per year, per person. That's cheaper than having the bins collected by the local council for a year.

Generic Gamer said:
AccursedTheory said:
I'm still unclear what their continued existence offers.

What exactly do they do?
They're fantastic ambassadors for our country and a massive tourist draw. They're also a theoretical limit on our Government because at any time the queen can dissolve parliament. In addition they're just a little sentimental something that our country does.

They're also classy as fuck and at times hilarious so yeah, I love 'em!
He's right. The Queen is Head of the Commonwealth, also the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. Also, there is the fact, as he said, she in the safeguard on the Government. She also acts as the Font of Justice, basically, criminal law in the country revolves around her, not the state. The Crown (Regina/Rex) v Criminal, that's how it works.

She also heads up the Privy Council (not herself, obviously, who'd want to) which is the highest appeal court of for Commonwealth countries, AKA Australia, Canada, New Zealand and so on...

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Besides the fact that they fuel pretty much every stereotype about us, they're filthy rich just for being born into a certain family. So I don't like them. We don't even need them. The only good they've ever done is that we get days off school on royal weddings.
They want us to sit at home and watch them get married on the TV. Fuck. Off.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I like them.

They're pretty normal people really. They're not all that bright, they get divorces, some of them are pretty funny lookin' and they make mistakes.

I like Charles 'cos he tends to step in and stop fucking horrible building projects near historic sites, Harry is an active pilot in the Army, and Will seems pretty ok too, i think he's a pilot too. It's nice to have a figurehead, and the Queen seems to be pretty good at doing her job.

People ***** and moan about how we pay for their lives in our taxes etc, which is stupid, seeing as last year taxpayers paid about 62p each towards the Royal Family a year.

If that's the price we have to pay to preserve what is in my view an important part of our culture and history, then so be it :)

I'm not a fierce Royalist, but I would miss them and their antics a little if they were no longer with us.

JasonKaotic said:
They want us to sit at home and watch them get married on the TV. Fuck. Off.
I dont really think they do.

We just have to have the day off because its "the done thing." Would you really want your wedding televised for the nation? Probably not, and I doubt they really do either :p

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think they're quite unremarkable, unless trying to wind up Royalists who think they're the best thing ever. Heh, heh, heh...

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I can't say I've ever met them, so I can't take a reasonable stance on whether I like them or not.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
its a little difficult for me to have an opinion being an Irish-American my two main nationalities don't exactly have the best feelings about the royal family

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.
Hardly expensive. They cost around 60p per year, per person. That's cheaper than having the bins collected by the local council for a year.
whats that then? £30-40million? thats still that much money per year, plus all of their other assets, that could be put towards something better like...well anything really

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
whats that then? £30-40million? thats still that much money per year, plus all of their other assets, that could be put towards something better like...well anything really
Don't forget they bring in a lot of money from tourism.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
It's a drop in the ocean really. Yes it could probably be put to beter use, but like I already said, they aint entirely useless. They bring in tourist revenue, they're active in preserving our culture and environment (well, Prince Charles is at least) they act as ambassadors, the younger members join the Army or Rescue Services, and they're an important part of our history and heritage :)

I'm no economist, but I dont think £30m goes a long way in the Uk these days :/

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
I am completely indifferent. British royalty has absolutely no bearing on my life. As far as I know, they're just state-sponsored celebrities. I don't see any reason to like or dislike them for that.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
The Wykydtron said:
I will continue to not give a shit... (UK btw)

I like seeing the Daily Express continue with the whole Diana thing though, it's pretty funny to see how long they can keep it up XD
They've been banging on about it for 13 years now, they'll carry on for another 13 yet and another 50 after that. Although in that time, the headlines would be just stupid. Diana was a woman! SHOCKING PICTURES INSIDE!

OT: Eh...ask me while I'm not being buried in reminders that Will and Kate are getting married soon. It's annoying. Big whoop, someone's in the Royal family is getting married. Now, can you shut up about it and let me enjoy the unintended hilarity of the papers? Ta.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I am Canadian so the British monarchy is a part of my nation's past and present. Do I like them? Can't say I do but I can't say I hate them either. My only real problem with them is the sheer amount of media exposure they get especially with the upcoming wedding.

There was an article on a Canadian news site about Kate Middleton's revealed connection to Canada. It turns out her grandfather lived here for about 5 years during WWII and was an instructor at one of the combat flight schools out west. And I thought, who the f*** cares? That's not a real connection at all, it's just Canadians grasping at straws so that they can feel like they have a personal bond with the bride.

Congrats to Will and Kate on their upcoming nuptials but I'll be happy when this whole thing is over. There are more pressing matters in the world.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
Ah, the New Labour response.
'HOW DARE OUR COUNTRY HAVE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BABY INCUBATORS AND SPEED BUMPS.'

And as said, the Royal Family inject more into the nation than they take out. I'm generally in favour of them.

Replacing the Royal Family would probably mean getting a president too.
Imagine the horrors of that.
So many horrors.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I don't care for them at all and i'm from the UK. I'm sick of the whole royal wedding bullshit, who the hell cares?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Let's see: A living representation of everything that has ever been wrong with the world. Genetic wealth, exploitation of the poor, permission from society to murder, blessings from the church to rape? An institution so vile that pretty much every civilized country in the world has broken it down and publicly executed the last members of it?

No, I don't think I care for it very much. And it sort of makes me angry that there are people who attempt to attribute any positive qualities to it whatsoever. These are people who are famous solely because they are descended from the most awful people in history. Why would anyone want to venerate that? And why in the HELL would a democracy use public funds to subsidize their parasitic existence?