Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Jim Grim said:
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.
I don't mind the royal family, but they do a lot for the country. Being born into figurehead status must suck, but they are important for relations with other countries.

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
I'm a British Republican but I'm not militant enough about it to actively push for their abolition. They're generally all right if, as with so many British institutions, somewhat obsolete. I do sometimes wonder what it must be like to live not only knowing your purpose in life, but also knowing that purpose has no real relevance to the modern world.

Can't be bothered to apply the effort necessary to see whether they're a net profit or loss for the country, but the fact that they're not an obvious drain on the country is, I reckon, enough to justify their continued existence.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
I dislike all of them besides Charles and Harry.
Though I do like how much money they bring in for the country.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
see now its not that i dont like them its just i dont think they are needed, they aint a good figure head anymore, there powers exist only in name and can actually do nothing, and they dont really do anything anymore.

also on an interesting note, i can never be in the same place as the queen or other higher member of the royal family

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
I respect the Royal Family as the sovereigns of the British Isles; however, as an American I don't know anything about them beyond their history and the occasional news story, so I have no personal opinions about them.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
I'm still unclear what their continued existence offers.

What exactly do they do?
Jackshit

I don't see why we need them but they don't harm me in anyway so I'm just indifferent to them.Also being from Scotland I'm obliged to say Fuck the Police.....I mean Fuck the royal Family but yeah I actually don't care either way.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
They provide tourism, gives the country a nice regal appearance as opposed to David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

It would feel weird to get rid of them and keep the house of lords.

They can technically do a lot of stuff too.

At any point in time they can take complete control of the military.
They can also veto anything passed by Parliament.
They can also dissolve parliament at any given time.

Of course by technically I mean they can try but no one will take them seriously.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
The poll options are kind of wonky, as a Canadian I am not from the UK but I am a Commonwealth citizen and Queen Elizabeth II is my reigning monarch too.

As for the Royal family I like them and the function they perform. As unaligned political figureheads they really can be a proper unifying cultural institution. Also I believe that moving into the future we should be willing to adapt and change and accept modernity, but we shouldn't just throw out things that are old for that reason alone. There is a great deal of value in our traditions and history.

And as far as complaining about paying some small token tax money to the family, what do you think it's spent on? I would guess most of it is spent on things like security and building maintenance and upkeep for the Palace and other sites. How many American tax dollars go towards maintaining the White House and Presidential security every year? I would guess it's a lot.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
They're just figure heads, so I dont really care what they do. And Princess Diana was the only one that ever affected me personally cause my mom was obsessed with her.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
PhiMed said:
Let's see: A living representation of everything that has ever been wrong with the world. Genetic wealth, exploitation of the poor, permission from society to murder, blessings from the church to rape? An institution so vile that pretty much every civilized country in the world has broken it down and publicly executed the last members of it?

No, I don't think I care for it very much. And it sort of makes me angry that there are people who attempt to attribute any positive qualities to it whatsoever. These are people who are famous solely because they are descended from the most awful people in history. Why would anyone want to venerate that? And why in the HELL would a democracy use public funds to subsidize their parasitic existence?
Lol calm down pal, you're only a few centuries behind the times.

The royals don't represent any of those things any more (well, maybe inherited wealth, I'll give you that :p )

Since when did you hear our current Royals exploiting the poor, killing anyone, or having anything to do with rape? They've kinda changed their image since all that went on. Yes they are famous just because they've been born into a family, but it's not exactly their fault is it?

And why would a democracy use public funds to subsidise them? Well, they dont cost a massive amount in the grand scheme of things (I think 62p a year per taxpayer) and they bring tourism to the country, they have roles as ambassadors or whatever, and they dont really do anyone any harm.

Youre hating something that exists in the past. Which is fair enough I guess if the royals were really like that I'd thate them too.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Americans like your royals because there are lot of people here who like celebrities. Also, once upon a time they were our royals too. until George three came along anyway, drat him.

They seem like nice enough people i guess. from what little i've heard anyway.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
As an American and an individualist, I find the idea of royalty to be, frankly, icky(yes, that's the scientific term). The idea that a person is better or worse than another or born to some higher social status is appalling and horribly unappealing.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
As long as they earn more than they cost, they're fine by me.
I like that very practical opinion.

I'm from the U.S. so I really no opinion on way or the other. Don't they help raise money for charities?

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!
They're the pride of the nation, in my eyes!
I demand them to stay!