Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i dont really care for them... they seem like pointless figureheads to me, and they have so much money and jewelry for nothing that it almost makes me sick.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mimssy said:
Woodsey said:
As long as they earn more than they cost, they're fine by me.
I like that very practical opinion.

I'm from the U.S. so I really no opinion on way or the other. Don't they help raise money for charities?
Yeah, they do a fair bit of philanthropic work, so promoting charities, backing various causes, etc.

I don't know about donating actual money, but they certainly raise awareness for things.

They certainly don't deserve reactions such as this, however:

Count Igor said:
Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!
They're the pride of the nation, in my eyes!
I demand them to stay!

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Lazier Than Thou said:
As an American and an individualist, I find the idea of royalty to be, frankly, icky(yes, that's the scientific term). The idea that a person is better or worse than another or born to some higher social status is appalling and horribly unappealing.
This. They tend to make up BS to stay in power over the ages. People seriously believed they were king because "God said so" a couple centuries ago. Right, because who can forget the time royalty got their crowns from an angel and no one saw that other than word of mouth.
Wait, an angel? I thought Arthur pulled the sword from the stone and *BAM* obviously he was sent by God to lead us.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
I don't care for Royal families, don't care about their lives and I myself am a Republican(not the american concept) and consider any royal family should have as much privileges as any other citizen

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
American here. I've never kept up with them. I really couldn't even tell you their names, much less what duties they carry out. The idea of being wealthy royalty just because you were born into a family is pretty nauseating, but what the hell do I know? I'm apathetic on my own country's politics, so international affairs are well beyond my acquired knowledge.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
El Poncho said:
Don't forget they bring in a lot of money from tourism.
that argument has never washed with me.

No-one comes to see the royal family, they come to see their houses and the changing of the guard etc.

If we kick the royal family out then we can open up the entire place for tourism, and we could keep the dudes with the silly hats anyway.

Surely we'd be able to make more money from tourism if all of the royal estates were open to the public, and weren't being lived in.

Aside from that I think it is a disgusting outdated institution, the very concept is distasteful, this is supposed to be the 21st century.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I'm not from the UK, and I don't care for them. I mean, really, what's the point of a royal family who's only purpose is being an iconic figure, while sapping tax dollars? It just seems pointless personally.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
I'm still unclear what their continued existence offers.

What exactly do they do?
This. Why are they celebrated? What do they do? Do they have any actual power and influence?

Why should I care?

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
I know that they can kick the current Australian government out if they are failing........

.....well......

......I'm waiting.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I'm not from the UK, though we have a royal house in Denmark as well, and as a fiercely Republican person it should come as no surprise that I dislike monarchies everywhere.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I dislike the Royal Family, as I dislike Aristocracies in general, and this one is very popular.

I'm American.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Well I can't say they've featured in my life much so I don't really give a shit, but recently there's been so much fucking press about the bloody royal wedding that they're starting to get on my tits. Seriously, every day I look at the front page, the wedding is there in some form or another. It's infected Good Housekeeping, the fashion magazines, the tabloids, the telly, the telly guides.etc. Stop waving it in front of me!

Coincidently most of the country has a holiday on the day of the royal wedding, but not my school. Not only that but I think we might be forced to watch the damned thing at school.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
I think they are a key part of our culture and heritage. I don't necessarily think we "need" them anymore as some people have stated, and they are very VERY expensive but then .... so is government and that is far more useless than Queeny mc'royal britches :). So thumbs up to her and the rest of them.