Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
As a citizen of the Commonwealth, they are ultimately my superiors, and for some reason I feel a bizarre loyalty to Queen Elizabeth, but not so much the others.

I can't explain it.

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
Miles000 said:
I know that they can kick the current Australian government out if they are failing........

.....well......

......I'm waiting.
Don't you remember the Whitlam debacle!? If they did that again, they would certainly lose any power they still have over Australia (not much)

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Trebort said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.
Hardly expensive. They cost around 60p per year, per person. That's cheaper than having the bins collected by the local council for a year.
whats that then? £30-40million? thats still that much money per year, plus all of their other assets, that could be put towards something better like...well anything really
El Poncho said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
I don't like the fact that there IS a royal family, it's so pointless and expensive, and I think they are far too revered by somewhat unhinged/patriotic people. The family themselves? Don't know them.
Hardly expensive. They cost around 60p per year, per person. That's cheaper than having the bins collected by the local council for a year.
whats that then? £30-40million? thats still that much money per year, plus all of their other assets, that could be put towards something better like...well anything really
Don't forget they bring in a lot of money from tourism.
Wadders said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Trebort said:
Jim Grim said:
It's a drop in the ocean really. Yes it could probably be put to beter use, but like I already said, they aint entirely useless. They bring in tourist revenue, they're active in preserving our culture and environment (well, Prince Charles is at least) they act as ambassadors, the younger members join the Army or Rescue Services, and they're an important part of our history and heritage :)

I'm no economist, but I dont think £30m goes a long way in the Uk these days :/
So true. They bring in a lot of money tourism wise. The junior members of the royal family work for the government as ambassadors for trade and industry, and bring in more money for the country that way.

The money they cost is a tiny drop in the ocean, as stated above. Redesigning the constitutional system of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be a massive undertaking. The UK can't act alone either, she is Sovereign of 16 countries, they all need to have input. It would cost 5-6 times as much as they cost us per year to have a review/report commissioned in to getting rid of the Royal Family, and then it would be a massive bastard undertaking if they decided to do it, costing hundreds of millions of pounds changing the way the Executive, Legislature and the Judiciary function.

The Queen isn't rich. She is at the mercy of the Privy Purse. Buckingham Palace is falling down around her and the previous government denied extra funding to stop the roof leaking. BBC News website has a report on this issue.

The hundreds of millions of pounds "she" has, are tied up in thing like the Royal Collection and the Crown Estates... They all belong to the nation actually.

You know it cost £50m+ to create the UK Supreme Court because we wanted to be like the Americans? All it consisted of was moving the current Law Lords out of the House of Lords and putting them in a building across the street from Parliament.

Can you imagine how much the idiotic Government would spend doing away with the Royals when it costs so much to move a barely used appeal court across the road? It's shocking. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

One last point. Queen Elizabeth II is respected by world leaders all around the globe, currently ones in the public eye alot like the ones in the middle east and asia. Her recent trip to the United Nations, Ambassadors were scrambling to get front row seats to see her walk past, while others were opening filming it on their phones. The UK would lose lots of respect/interest around the world if we didn't have a Royal Family.
Ohh, I was expecting abuse whn I saw I'd been quoted, nice to know other people see the good points of having Royals :)

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
Pigeon_Grenade said:
CarlMinez said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
CarlMinez said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
as a Canadian, i like them alot
I didn't know Canada was a part of the british empire
yes we are, why during both world wars, the Moment Britain declared war, we went to war with her, as per the fact all Colony's under British rule did, our Governor General is a Representative of the queen
So did australia right?

Anyway, I've always been interested in british culture. Been in London twice :)
as far as i remember Australia is also part of the British empir
Hence the union jack on our flag

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
brendonnelly said:
Miles000 said:
I know that they can kick the current Australian government out if they are failing........

.....well......

......I'm waiting.
Don't you remember the Whitlam debacle!? If they did that again, they would certainly lose any power they still have over Australia (not much)
Bit before my time but I did google it.

Spose your right. As it is we are on the verge of becoming a republic.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
Im from the UK and I think they are a complete waste of time and waste of tax payers money. Also all the hype about this stupid wedding is getting ridiculous!

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I'm a fan, but couldn't say why. I do, however, limit that to whoever's sitting on the throne at the time.

So Queen Elizabeth II, thus far

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Prince William and Prince Harry and the only two I like. They both do serve our county in our armed forces and as such, they both command a great respect from me.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
A system where position, power, and authority are passed down hereditary lines? Even if they have no actual power today, I can't say I approve. Being "born superior" is racism, even if there are no ethnic differences between them and the people they claim superiority over. It's simply a "race" of a much more specific group.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Frankly my dear, I couldn't give a flying fuck about any of the worthless entitled cunts and I wouldn't look twice if Buckingham Palace burnt down with them all trapped inside.

Oh, and I'm from the UK.

Mr Wednesday

Jan 22, 2008
I don't really understand how these Germans have come to rule this sceptred isle. I mean, I think my pet Cat has a deeper British lineage.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Lilani said:
Being a fat person from America, I know very little about them. So I guess I don't mind them. They haven't given me a reason to not like them.
Same deal with me... only I like to say im only slightly over-weight.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I really don't understand what they do in modern Britain. You guys have a parliament and a prime minister... Why the fuck do you guys have a royal family too? Maybe I'm a total idiot but I never understood this.

If anybody cares to enlighten me, I would be most thankful.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
As a canadian I get to see the queen everyday on money and such so I dont mind them they are an important part of history.

But then again Canada is a country that has a strong history of civil obidence the monarchy is strong in Canada for now but the passing of Elizabeth II will be a true test to its strength, she will allways be the Canada's queen as she lives but her son and grandchildren....they dont have as strong an impact on a our country.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Them as people? Don't care...

What they stand for? I'm a bit of an anarchist so....

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Don't give a shit.
Someone who is special because they happened to be born into a special family with lots of money and a history of money and being special- or appointed by God or something. Who the hell cares.

I have always wondered how the whole system of royalty even works in the UK in the 21st century? Are they all just a bunch of rich people, treated nicely because they're rich or is there a sort of neo-aristocracy that still clings to archaic titles and social statuses and other bullshit like that? I guess I've just assumed it was no more but I still hear stories about literal Dukes and other people with old titles and the lot.