Poll: Do you like the (British) royal family?

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I'm from the UK, and I honestly couldn't give a fuck. Although thanks to them two geezers getting married, we all get a 4 day weekend. Sweet as fuck!

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
Well I don't know them, so its hard to say whether or not I like them. They are the royal family of Britain, they do what they do thats about it

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I'm only half British, my dad is english. So i couldn't quite pick "not from UK" or "from the UK" but i'm in canada so i picked "don't mind them(not from UK)". They aren't that different from polliticians really except being the last remaining monarchies.

And i bet half of the people who dislike them are anarchists.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Aphex Demon said:
I'm from the UK, and I honestly couldn't give a fuck. Although thanks to them two geezers getting married, we all get a 4 day weekend. Sweet as fuck!

that's a pretty big vocabulary you have there, hmmm?

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I find the results unsuprising considering the probably user base of this forum.

However, over the years I've come to believe they and the extended system of peers and lords that they are part of has an important role to play in the UK system of government.

I do not, and would not, want to live in a society where ALL the leaders of that society are entirely dependant upon making the majority happy for their job security. That is what is happening in democracies all over the world. Laws are being passed based purely on the desire to make the voters happy so they will continue to vote.. not upon what is right or wrong, or suitable for a long lasting and functioning society, but purely on what will keep a politician their job.

Now, I'm not saying that the royal family.. or lords and peers... are always going to do what is morally or socially right. However, I believe that a mix of the two is vitally important to the UK's system of government. I would be very sad to see the monarchy go, as I would to see the house of lords go, and governemnt become entirely based upon who was the most popular. It would, honestly, make it a country I no longer wish to live in.

Gerkuman

May 17, 2009
This poll is kinda polarising. If there was an option called 'Some of them, but not others' That may have taken more of the vote, because that's the answer that I get from most people I talk to IRL. Most people seem to like the Queen, a fair few like William and Harry and a good percentage find Prince Phillip funny, even if most would agree that he's also more than a little bit 'old fashioned' (read: Bigoted).

It's Charles and Camilla and the other royals that get the bad press. Especially Charles. That was probably due to Diana, although Diana support seems to have lessened somewhat in the intervening years.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
They don't actually do anything anymore our countries controlled by the government now, being british i can respect their history but when it comes to them i don't see why they deserve all the big mansions and such. There just a tourist attraction now a days.

I am completely fed up with all the adverts, and news reports on a wedding (i'd much rather be updated on important things such as japan at the moment), i don't even see why there making it a bank holiday, you don't see anyone elses wedding being made a bank holiday.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Aphex Demon said:

haha that picture is great..
anyway to everyone who's said that they only cost us like £35million a year, well... they're talking crap for this year at least because security alone for the wedding is costing £20million

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I don't like monarchies to be honest. Like all celebrities I wish the special treatment would stop and people would stop acting like they're more important than a natural disaster. People say they make money but I believe it's the landmarks more than the family. Versailles makes money but there are no royals in it.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Biodeamon said:
Aphex Demon said:

Are you annoyed that I said 'fuck' a few times, Biodeamon?
I do, sincerely apologize.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Aphex Demon said:
Biodeamon said:
Aphex Demon said:

Are you annoyed that I said 'fuck' a few times, Biodeamon?
I do, sincerely apologize.
it's all right.

gassy

Apr 30, 2011
How can any "government study" determine exactly how much money the royal family generates from tourism? Sounds like a stretch to jusify an offensive reminder of when England ruled the world and even common brits were superior by birth over the rest of the world.

How can anyone defend a family who expects and demands that other human beings BOW to them in the year 2011? we are told we live in a meritocracy, what has the royal family earned based on merit?

Why don't we celebrate Ghenges Khan's family or pay them a salary to this day? I'm sure people will love Sadam Hussain's family in a thousand years. Everyone excited for the big Emperor Hirihito's great-grandson wedding next month? Can't blame his family for pearl harbor and trying to take over the world, they are "figureheads" and good for tourism, just don't look them in the eye and don't forget to bow to them. I could easily make the case that the british royal family has done much more harm in the world than Ghenges Khan and Sadam combined. Why does the british royal family get a pass? Great public relations dept? Racism? People don't like brown kings or sultans or dictatators but, people love white kings and queens, unless you're living under one. Make no mistake- if queen liz-the-2 still had the power she would chop your head off for looking at her wrong, just like Sadam would have. The world is far from perfect but, how could anyone think that monarchies and devine birthrites, even as symbols, is not anti-progress for the human race?