Poll: Do you like the British Royal Family?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Terramax said:
I was recently speaking to a group of Japanese people and it recently occurred to me everyone in this country thinks the royal family is loved by every member of the British public. I denied this, stating there were plenty of people that don't care. However, I wasn't able to give a percentage as to how much.

So, simple question to both Brits and non-Brits - do you like them?

I guess this is a perfect time to ask the question, seeing that a new member has come to be very recently.
When you say British do you include Australian's with British descent (my grandparents care but I don't)
I think it's more of a generational thing, at least here in Australia. Alot of younger people (I believe) think their a waste of money (as they get a percentage of our tax, bloody thieves! :p )

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
After telling someone that most people don't care, you really should have added a I don't care option to your pole.

Monarchy in general? Can't stand it. I don't believe that birthright alone should give someone claim to rule an entire country.

As for the British royal family? Can't say they've ever done anything to really piss me off. Their public image is relatively good for royals. Can't say I'd miss them if they all disappeared though.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Definitely for keeping the royal family, like some of them, don't care about most. Prince Philip, the Queen and Prince Harry are alright by me. Philip's hilarious, the Queen does wonders for our nation's international relations and Harry is possibly the most human of the entire brood. The rest... never really interested me that much.

That and supposedly the Royals save me tax money, so hooray for them!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm Canadian and while I don't DISlike them I am kind of sick and tired of hearing about them. Like really, I don't give a shit about Kate and her STUPID baby.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Terramax said:
I denied this, stating there were plenty of people that don't care. However, I wasn't able to give a percentage as to how much.
So then why isn't there a "cannot be assed/arsed to give a damn" option? =p

They seem like nice enough people, and since they don't push policy much, I don't really have much to judge them on. They're royalty. Big deal.

Wouldn't say that I 'like' or 'dislike' them, though.

(I have mountains that I could say about the media's obsession with them over issues that actually MATTER, but that's another thing entirely).

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
I'm British and I've got no reason to like em' and no reason to hate em'. But I can honestly say I don't give a rat's ass about the royal child. I fail to see why I should celebrate. This royal child doesn't affect my life in the slightest, I don't get a day off work or a pay raise or anything, so I don't see why I should care. As far as I'm concerned it's just another child being born.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont see the point to them really. Arent they all symbolic? I mean, the closest thing i can relate them to int he US is maybe the president since he tends to live off a lot of tax payer money but at least he has a major hand in doing stuff. the last big thing i can think of that the royal family did was maybe princess diana for all her charity and good will work. when she died that was a tragedy.

Then again... they're not hurting anyone i guess, so its no skin off my nose either way but i live int he US so... yeah.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
MorphingDragon said:
The Royal Family still owns the land is pretty much the gist.

I was waiting for someone to post this. Besides think of all the money that the UK is going to generate off the newborn buzz!

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
I'm British and I don;t really care about them. They generate money through tourism, so we may as well keep them around.

SquidSponge

Apr 29, 2013
My two pence - don't abolish the monarchy, let them keep their legacy (and the vast quantities of money and property they currently have, I suppose), but:
a) They shouldn't leech off the taxpayers. They're filthy f*cking rich, they neither need nor deserve the money.
b) They shouldn't have any influence over politics or military, officially or otherwise - this is supposedly a democratic nation.

Most people I know are sensible enough to see it from a similarly reductionist standpoint as I do - it comes down to whether you think a person deserves to be given a free ride their entire life, with all the money they could ever want or need, supplemented by people poorer than them, just because they had the sheer, dumb, blind luck to have been squeezed out of a specific woman's tubes. A woman whose only notable feature is that she had the sheer, dumb, blind luck to have been squeezed out of a specific woman's tubes, and so on with similarly arbitrarily-assigned people, going back centuries until you find some random dude whose combination of skill, ruthlessness, resources and luck allowed him to seize power (now that guy I might find a small amount of grudging respect for). And all they have to do in return is wave at the plebs now and then (maybe even shake a hand, but don't remove your glove - peasants are all filthy, disease-ridden curs, being poor must be infectious or something), cut a ribbon on occasion, and try to avoid making a scandal. And that last one is kinda optional. Their qualifications and the vital service they contribute to society are surely on a level with doctors who heal our sick and wounded, scientists who advance our knowledge, and police who maintain order.

The fact is that in any just and democratic society they should just be regular citizens - no dipping into public funds, and no rights or privileges beyond those also possessed by John Smith from Scunthorpe, you know, that funny-lookin' dude hunched in the darkest corner of the pub. And if they balls-up their finances - well, that's their own damned responsibility like the rest of us, and it'd be time to get a damned job like the rest of us. They still have enough friends in sufficiently high places to walk into a 6-figure salary based on naught but nepotism. And if they don't like policy x, that is currently being discussed in parliament, they should write a letter to their local MP (the response to which will most likely dodge the issue and answer a question you didn't ask), like the bloody rest of us. But then, some people are more equal than others, eh?

Ah, feels good to get that out. [/rant]

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
ChaplainOrion said:
MorphingDragon said:
The Royal Family still owns the land is pretty much the gist.

I was waiting for someone to post this. Besides think of all the money that the UK is going to generate off the newborn buzz!
I knew this information before I watched that video. It was just easier to post it.

SquidSponge said:
My two pence - don't abolish the monarchy, let them keep their legacy (and the vast quantities of money and property they currently have, I suppose), but:
a) They shouldn't leech off the taxpayers. They're filthy f*cking rich, they neither need nor deserve the money.
b) They shouldn't have any influence over politics or military, officially or otherwise - this is supposedly a democratic nation.

Most people I know are intelligent enough to see it from a similarly reductionist standpoint as I do - it comes down to whether you think a person deserves to be given a free ride their entire life, with all the money they could ever want or need, supplemented by people poorer than them, just because they had the sheer, dumb, blind luck to have been squeezed out of a similarly arbitrarily-assigned woman's tubes. And all they have to do in return is wave at the plebs now and then (maybe even shake a hand, but don't remove your glove - peasants are all filthy, disease-ridden curs, being poor must be infectious or something), cut a ribbon on occasion, and try to avoid making a scandal. And that last one is kinda optional. Their qualifications and the vital service they contribute to society are surely on a level with doctors who heal our sick and wounded, scientists who advance our knowledge, and police who maintain order.

The fact is that in any just and democratic society they should just be regular citizens - no dipping into public funds, and no rights or privileges beyond those also possessed by John Smith from Scunthorpe, you know, that funny-lookin' dude hunched in the darkest corner of the pub. And if they balls-up their finances - well, that's their own damned responsibility like the rest of us, and it'd be time to get a damned job like the rest of us. They still have enough friends in sufficiently high places to walk into a 6-figure salary based on naught but nepotism. And if they don't like policy x being discussed in parliament, they should write a letter to their local MP (the response to which will most likely dodge the issue and answer a question you didn't ask), like the bloody rest of us. But then, some people are more equal than others, eh?

Ah, feels good to get that out. [/rant]
Do you even know how the Monarchy works in modern UK?

Olliesama

Jun 2, 2012
Unnecessary and at this point are nothing but celebrities. It's stupid how highly we value these people for nothing, seriously. We worship them for being born into a life of privilege.
British and no.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I used to like the royal family but the last few series and christmas specials have been a bit shit

Seriously though im indifferent. I work with the ROYAL air force so i suppose i should be thankful. Im also a glasgow rangers fan (which is a traditionally loyalist team). I dont dislike them and i dont like them. I like prince phillip hes a lad

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
British and no BUT that is the royal family as a whole. The Queen however is an entirely different matter, she's awesome.

While I agree with the sentiment that most of them are worthless scroungers, Lizzie is an entirely different story. Those of you who think she picks up a sack of gold every year without doing a thing for it should perhaps do some actual research first.

Screw the rest of them though, about as worthwhile to the rest of us as the Kardashians.

SquidSponge

Apr 29, 2013
MorphingDragon said:
[snip]
Do you even know how the Monarchy works in modern UK?
Even though they have very little in the way of official powers, as that video (accurately) states, they still have influence. Why should they be treated any differently to other citizens? Equality is supposed to be an ideal to which this country aspires. Bleh, forget I said anything, this guy said pretty much everything I wanted to, but did so more concisely since he didn't get carried away like I did:

Olliesama said:
Unnecessary and at this point are nothing but celebrities. It's stupid how highly we value these people for nothing, seriously. We worship them for being born into a life of privilege.
British and no.
Well put sir.

Fraser Greenfield said:
[snip]
I can't speak for Great Britain, but here in Australia, the Crown's power to jump start a Royal Commission has been a godsend in fighting corruption and bureaucratic complacency. That and the Queen's veiled threats of dissolving parliament and sacking the PM; are very own 'Sword of Damocles' if you will, has proven instrumental in fighting corruption and preventing it from seeping into parliament in full form.

That and the idea that we could have a 'president' Gillard or similar character in the future with no higher executive power to answer to scares the shit out of me.

So if anything, I think highly of the monarchy. Not in the celebrity fashion, but rather as an institution of safeguarding the welfare of the populi.
But what gives the Queen (of England) the right to decide what's best for a supposedly democratic nation? If you have issues with corruption etc. then you need to excise it - not rely on an autocratic outside agency to save you. Depending on the Queen to do this might achieve the right end, but it's a poor means. Better to repair the system if it is truly broken.

Unrelated to last subject, to those who are so ready to applaud the "true cost of the royal family" video, it might be worth watching this:

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I like them as much as any other relatively nice group of people I will never have any meaningful interaction with.

I don't like the sycophantic bullshit that surrounds them --with all the flag-waving and 'isn't it great to be British' nonsense-- but that's more an extension of my deep hatred for blind patriotism than anything the royals have ever done, themselves.

Also, the Duke of Edinburgh is an utter delight if you're into casually racist gaffes.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Every time I hear something about the Royal Family, a little part of me wishes England had gone the way of the French. Just a little.