Poll: Do you love your home country?

Dec 27, 2010
I love my country (Ireland), but everyone that lives in it can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I could probably say that about the entire human race. Still, I wouldnt want to live any where else.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
I would say that Sweden is less stupid than most countries, but I still wouldn't say I care much for it at all.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
Totenkopf said:
I'm from Germany, and I love my country.
Also, do you know what I don't understand?
I can't understand how people can't understand the simple concept of the appreciation of a shared national identity (patriotism).
I don't want to offend anyone, but if one can't understand this (no participation needed for understanding) it's pretty sad...
Heh... way to call out the people who think they're all progressive and superior. It does kind of bug me, too. I get it if you just don't feel any sentiment for your country. I think it's stupid, but I get it. But people who act like they're some new breed of human who has no understanding of any of the "flawed" ideas that other humans share annoy the living hell out of me.
Thanks a lot, this statement has just directly warped you to my friendlist :D
(I hope you don't mind... >.>)
Especially your last sentence "hit the nail on it's head".
I'm really annoyed by this too. I mean, I can understand that people dislike things like overly nationalistic arrogance (I'm against that bullshit too, and I even strongly suggest international identities [mainly "Europe" and "Mankind" for me personally] too), but saying that patriotism is generally stupid and pointless is simply wrong to me.
And this pseudo-avant-garde "I hover above your archaic senselessness"-stance simply infuriates me, mostly because of the arrogance and misconceptions behind it.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
I used to feel fairly indifferent to England, then my family moved to Southern Spain 5 years ago. After a while I realised how much I did actually love living in England and was so relieved when I moved to London for uni (which is where I am now). It could just be the fact that I now hate Spain (srsly, it would be a third world country if it wasn't a part of the EU) mostly for the lack of anything there; post, customer service, supermarket choice, sales, the goddam expensive Euro (I could go on and on). So yeah, <3 England. Wouldn't mind moving elsewhere when I start working though, gives you more of a perspective on things

Thaa'ir

Feb 10, 2011
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Thaa said:
If Gaelic were the predominant language of Ireland, I would move there and never leave.
Hate to correct you, but it's Gaelige. Just saying.
*shrug* In the US, or at least where I live, the word "Gaelic" or "Irish" is commonly used, although Gaelic is a bit confusing since it could also refer to Scottish Gaelic. People rarely use the native names of languages to refer to them. I don't see myself, when speaking to an American, saying "I speak al-Arabiyya and Deutsch, I am learning Masri Arabic, and I want to learn Nederlands."

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I tolerate the U.S., and I wouldn't mind living somewhere like Germany or Britain. I go between being content living here and wanting to get the hell out of here, and that feeling is being more predominant as of late.

Dec 27, 2010
Thaa said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Thaa said:
If Gaelic were the predominant language of Ireland, I would move there and never leave.
Hate to correct you, but it's Gaelige. Just saying.
*shrug* In the US, or at least where I live, the word "Gaelic" or "Irish" is commonly used, although Gaelic is a bit confusing since it could also refer to Scottish Gaelic. People rarely use the native names of languages to refer to them. I don't see myself, when speaking to an American, saying "I speak al-Arabiyya and Deutsch, I am learning Masri Arabic, and I want to learn Nederlands."
Fair enough, didnt mean to offend.

Luke Whiting

May 4, 2011
I've seen a lot of people on this thread (and in life in general) complain about whatever government they have in their country. Granted, some are corrupt and oppressive, but the vast majority are just so invaluable in all our lives.

It means, if I were to break my arm, the resources and doctors needed to get it healed would be there.
It means that when I leave my waste outside my house, it is collected and taken away.
It means there are policemen patrolling the streets and investigating suspects to keep me safe, as I type.
There are judges waiting to deal out justice for me, soldiers laying down their lives for me, teachers to educate me.. the list goes on.

My point is, complain all you want about your government (I know I do), that our lives would be hugely worse without them, and the services they provide to us all.

Luke Whiting

May 4, 2011
I've seen a lot of people on this thread (and in life in general) complain about whatever government they have in their country. Granted, some are corrupt and oppressive, but the vast majority are just so invaluable in all our lives.

It means, if I were to break my arm, the resources and doctors needed to get it healed would be there.
It means that when I leave my waste outside my house, it is collected and taken away.
It means there are policemen patrolling the streets and investigating suspects to keep me safe, as I type.
There are judges waiting to deal out justice for me, soldiers laying down their lives for me, teachers to educate me.. the list goes on.

My point is, complain all you want about your government (I know I do), that our lives would be hugely worse without them, and the services they provide to us all.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
I love Portugal, not the Portugal of today, but I am proud of my country's history and power that it had...before our leaders ruined it all :(

Luke Whiting

May 4, 2011